Lt. Commander
# 1 account handle policy
01-19-2012, 04:02 PM
i could not find a customer service support listed in the forums so i made my post here in general community feedback, because after all, it is feedback.

my account handle, Nihonto, was the first thing that came to my head in may of 2010 when i created my account. so of course i now regret it and have been regretting it since i first realized it would be used in the forums, in-game chat, in-game mail,... etc. you get the point. its like a bad tattoo you cant remove but will always regret.

my first response was to write a ticket in-game so i did only to realize it wouldnt let me submit it, that was back when the game was still a little fresh though so i didnt mind waiting.
since then i have continued trying to get supports attention on the matter.

well after so long of seeing it when i play the game i can barely enjoy it now, ill be playing and ill say something in chat and notice the @nihonto in the chat box, it actually frustrates me enough now that i log out after seeing it and cant enjoy the game at times, especially when people address me by my extremely unwanted character handle.
yesterday i was tired of not being able to enjoy an incrediable game because of an infuriating word, so i went onto the supports live chat to ask for help on the matter. the person i was talking to told me the policy that he could not change my handle because they only offer name changes if the account name and handle are the same, the current handle is a security risk, or the name qualifies as a violation to their policies.
i asked him if there was anyone there who could and he said "not at this moment", then referred me to the ticket system,
i, for the first time, successfully submitted a ticket to the cryptic support staff asking the same thing and was only told another rehearsed copy of the policies.

i used to work at gamestop so i understand how hard it is to break policy and how you simply cant at times, but we always had a manager there who could override the policies when it helped a customer with a problem that couldnt be fixed without breaking those policies.

all that im asking for is to find someone with a little more authority than your position allows and ask them to help resolve a problem. it is very hard to be satisfied with a customer support staff that is not allowed to support the customers with some things that could be such a simple fix. im sure im not the only one with this problem.

and maybe another customer support option like over-the-phone would be nice, i tried calling to reach someone higher up and an automated "press one" system told me to submit a ticket, then sent me straight to a probably heavily ignored voicemail. very frustrating as well.

it may seem like i am ranting but i want to get this across to someone who can do something about it instead of a "your problem doesnt meet our requirements so it is not our problem" kind of support system that i have been dealing with.

thank you for your time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I completely empathize with you. When I first signed up, I was under the impression, from the way it was worded, that my handle, Captain Joseph Harris, was a forum handle (because it would also be a character name) and that it would be editable.

Later, I discovered that it was my in game name, and tacked on to the end of the name of every character on my account. That's awfully long for something that should be as simple as an in game handle. My account login name is vastly different (which is what I thought my in game handle was going to be originally).

Like you, I went live chat support and was told the same thing, that they couldn't change it unless it met one of these three or four criteria. Now, while I don't get aggravated at my name, its a ridiculous amount of stuff to type repeatedly.

I wish they'd allow us to change our handles, at least just once, when you've made a bad decision about what your handle will be, because you're anticipating one thing and it turns out to be another because of a poorly worded set of instructions.

So, I'm asking the same question/adding to your belief that a handle change shouldn't be that major an issue just because "your problem doesn't meet the criteria to become our problem" mentality.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
A name that you no longer like is keeping you from playing the game? You must have already had one foot out the door.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Not at all. I like the name, just don't want it as the @handle. Whether they change it or not, I still play the game. I've played for a long time with the name. I have no issues with the name, other than its awfully long for people to type to send me a mail or whatever.

My purpose for posting is simply that I would like to change my handle to something a bit shorter. This isn't a "give me what I want or I'm leaving" post. Its simply me saying I understand why the original poster would like to have his handle changed. For me, while I would like for it to be changeable, I'm not going to go into a childish fit and leave because its not. Its just a matter of wanting something to be possible that very well may not ever be possible.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Patience and polite persistence. Work within the system, and always keep your requests polite. Always include what you'd like to change it to.

Leave a message on the voice mail again. Every couple of weeks, follow up on it. Gentle persistence can achieve amazing things.

Try to find out if it's only that they won't change it, because it's against policy, or if the data base structure means they can't change it. Yes, it should be possible, but as complex as the data structures for this game must be, it's entirely possible that they can't change a user id.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Simple, they want to spout policy to you as to why they won't change it, call back to "honestly" inform then that your handle has been compromised because you used the same username and password combination on a fan forum site whose datafile has been compromised. Done deal.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I used to be Siilah. I'd originally planned to make a character named "Siilah Tahl", but when I discovered that @Siilah would be appended to everything I said or did in the game, I sought to change it.

Siilah Tahl@Siilah: really...

Then, as now, the policy was that unless your "handle" was the same as your "login", since public display of your login name might lead to your account being more easily compromised. There have been some accounts that have been able to repair typos, or remove offensive terms, but Cryptic was surprisingly unwilling to let us change names we chose long before we'd even seen how they'd show ingame.

Back then, the only thing to do was to simply spin up another account. Thankfully I found out about this BEFORE the game entered closed beta, and BEFORE I registered any product codes on the account.

However, now that Cryptic is owned by Perfect World, perhaps they will reconsider this policy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm curious as to what is so upsetting about the name? I was familiar with it meaning Japanese sword. Is there some other meaning that would cause distress?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2012, 04:06 AM
I can understand what you are saying OP, but when I signed up there was a written statement telling me that the handle I chose would be shown as my @Name in game and my forum name so I would say you got the same given when you signed up, which was around the time I did too. You would have gotten the same written statement

You accepted that statement therefore agreeing to those terms, and as you said, like a bad tattoo, now you have to live with it...

I understand you may not be happy now with that choice, but you accepted the terms and therefore agreed and entered that contract so the responsibilty was on you at the time to pick something you would be happy with in 2 years time...
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack-NZ
I can understand what you are saying OP, but when I signed up there was a written statement telling me that the handle I chose would be shown as my @Name in game and my forum name so I would say you got the same given when you signed up, which was around the time I did too. You would have gotten the same written statement

You accepted that statement therefore agreeing to those terms, and as you said, like a bad tattoo, now you have to live with it...

I understand you may not be happy now with that choice, but you accepted the terms and therefore agreed and entered that contract so the responsibilty was on you at the time to pick something you would be happy with in 2 years time...
That's all very true, I'm sure, when you signed up. However, when I signed up, such was not the case. I have no problem, really, with my handle, other than I wish what was chosen for my handle was shorter. When I signed up, it stated your handle you chose at that time would be how it was displayed on the forum. Your in game character's name would be how you were displayed in game. Of course, at that time, it seemed that you'd only have one character, from the way it was worded. That of course changed later.

The original poster doesn't like his handle for whatever reason, and wants to change it for whatever reason, but since his signup date is after yours, I'd assume that the same statement you saw regarding the handle was present when he signed up as well.

I'm fine, personally, with my own handle. If I were able to change it, I'd change it to something shorter, yes. In either event, I'm not going to have a hissyfit because I can't change it. *Chuckles*