Lt. Commander
# 11
08-07-2010, 03:43 PM
i just also made a thread about Size & Scale being off in the entire game. IT really needs to be fixed ! - OOP
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
The thing about the defiant is that during the show they were never really consistent with it's scale in regards to other ships and the ds9 station itself. This has caused all sorts of confusion on exactly what size the defiant is. We know its supposed to be small but due to the inconsitancies during the show the exact scale is really up to interpretation. Even the charts out there are rough estimates of scale.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
well look at this pic
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...s9-chimera.jpg
the defiant is almost the same size as the excelsior class, hummmmm yeah right
Edit :sorry give me a min il see if i can find the pic else where
Edit again: sorry cant find the same image anywhere
but my point still stands alot of the time the defiant doesnt stay consistent in its size
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.CHRONIC
The thing about the defiant is that during the show they were never really consistent with it's scale in regards to other ships and the ds9 station itself. This has caused all sorts of confusion on exactly what size the defiant is. We know its supposed to be small but due to the inconsitancies during the show the exact scale is really up to interpretation. Even the charts out there are rough estimates of scale.
Yup - I've seen estimates of the size of the Defiant as anywhere from 50m to 170m in length! That's a massive inconsistency but one sadly brought to us by the shows, which seemed to alter the Defiant in particular to suit the episode. Want to make it seem a super powerful gunboat? Make it look bigger! Want to make it the plucky underdog? Awww isn't it small!

And that doesn't include the differences in size of DS9 itself compared to ships of the same class in-shot.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Defiant inconsistency
08-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Just to echo what other people are saying there's an extended discussion about the size problem of the Defiant on Ex Astris Scientia:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...t-problems.htm

Interesting read for ship geeks (or at least for me)
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-07-2010, 05:09 PM
I actually like how Ds9 is large. It makes it seem like an important outpost, not just a stationary ship.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Look at sector space. DS9 is bigger than a star. Yet, somehow we can run full circle around it in a few seconds. Meanwhile, no one at cryptic seems to care about scale. They are slaves to their camera limitations and the lack of research done by employees. It makes no sense.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP View Post
i just also made a thread about Size & Scale being off in the entire game. IT really needs to be fixed ! - OOP
This is actually incorrect.

Size and scale for the ships is pretty much dead-on, with the exception of the runabouts and shuttles (made larger for gameplay purposes), and DS9 (made larger for storytelling purposes).

The defiant in the game is a little big, somewhere around 200+ meters, but still fits into the realm of reason for the game. (one of the official sizes is 170meters)

Whats throwing you off, is DS9. DS9, in-game is scaled to the larger sizes it was shown during the series. Depending on which episode, and what was docked with it, it varied in size greatly. In shots where a Nebula or Galaxy were docked with the station, it would often be shown at 2.5-3km or even bigger in diameter.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Look at sector space. DS9 is bigger than a star. Yet, somehow we can run full circle around it in a few seconds. Meanwhile, no one at cryptic seems to care about scale. They are slaves to their camera limitations and the lack of research done by employees. It makes no sense.
yeah but sector space is a tactical representation more like an astrometrics readout rather than the real thing. anyway sector space is only a temp thing since its been said there looking at re doing that
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
If it was properly scaled to the Defiant, you wouldn't be able to dock Galaxy-class ships on the upper pylons like seen in the shows. The scale on the show varies, so the Devs thought that this was an OK compromise.