Lt. Commander
# 241
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Utopia Planitia is the same way, interestingly.

Meanwhile, although we never saw the full planet in frame (I still think planets work better as background objects for orientation than asteroids do), Terok Nor was always shown beside Bajor, never over it. Both in the regular universe and the mirror.
Lt. Commander
# 242
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I can't remember a time in any of the shows I watched, when the ships were not lined up horizontally with the planet. Usually the planet was off to one side or another, maybe a little higher or lower, but definitely not beneath the ship from the perspective of said ship.
Its funny you mention that, as that was one of my big complaints about enterprise, they finally went full CG which expanded their horizons as far as space enviornments and scene framing went, and what do they do? Same old same old. Not that I wanted them to just throw out the whole of Star Trek history, but take some risks people, push some boundries!
Lt. Commander
# 243
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Utopia Planitia is the same way, interestingly.

Meanwhile, although we never saw the full planet in frame (I still think planets work better as background objects for orientation than asteroids do), Terok Nor was always shown beside Bajor, never over it. Both in the regular universe and the mirror.
...same with utopia and Mars:

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/ima...itia_Yards.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 244
01-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Yup. I think planet as horizon is shorthand for "this is home" or "this is an extended base of operations for the story."
Lt. Commander
# 245
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
I'm not exactly clear on why bigger planets would be off for gameplay reasons or why they chose to use asteroid fields for horizons and planets for objects you approach rather than placing planets beneath us and using them as horizons. It would make more sense to me, especially with social hubs like earth, to make the planet large and place it beneath us, the way we see planets displayed on the login screen and often on the shows when a planet is a setting.

Overall, if you're emphasizing a planet as a place that is visited in the course of a story, you have it the way we do in game, with the player facing the planet and oriented parallel with the planet's north-south orientation. Whereas if the planet is the milieu for the story or is a regularly visited part of the setting, you show it on a different vertical plane, above or beneath the ship., with the ship's belly facing the planet, as though the planet represented an ocean that the ship sails atop in high orbit.

It could be that it may give some players a feeling of vertigo, looking down onto a distant planet below.

However, I must say that in the few missions I saw where the planet is below you, it does make the planet seem like it is farther away than it is and takes away from the fact that they are smaller than the Death Star.

Quote:
The former emphasizes the ship VISITING the planet. The latter emphasizes the planet as setting. I think this distinction would make the game a lot more cinematic and could also set the stage for the much requested "going into orbit of a planet" thing as opposed to simply making planets collidable objects in space.

Picture that your ship actually shrinks and rotates 90 degrees, along with the camera, when you approach a planet, physically shrinking gradually as proximity to the planet increases and "setting an orbit" anchors your camera to the planet which, clientside, you now see as slowly rotating.
I've always felt that the planets should be immense objects outside of the playing area, like local stars. They could even be simple animated matte paintings, instead of polygons. It would lend a better sense of scale AND pave the way for missions in which you might land a shuttle on a planet's surface. (Simply fly toward the zone boundary and it would transition to a cutscene or pre-rendered cinematic of a shuttle entering the atmosphere and landing, perhaps being buffeted by violent winds on the way down. It would also allow smoother looking shuttle flights than that awful Vulcan take off and landing sequence we get.)

Quote:
I can't remember a time in any of the shows I watched, when the ships were not lined up horizontally with the planet. Usually the planet was off to one side or another, maybe a little higher or lower, but definitely not beneath the ship from the perspective of said ship.
I think I remember the episode where the Borg were poised to attack earth and locutus gave the idea to put them to sleep, maybe?

Or was that The Motion Picture when the V'ger torpedoes were above earth...?

Can't remember, now. >.<
Lt. Commander
# 246
01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
So, I asked my lead and the Design Lead about this today. They are already scaling DS9 down some. They tested a few sizes already, and determined that it can't be scaled down to match the numbers, as it's not fun to fly around it and such. So it will be smaller, but not a ton smaller in the future. This is just an instance of gameplay trumping art. it happens all the time. In addition, the brown nebulae should be disappearing around the same time.

Though I don't know when this will be getting out to you, it is being addressed already.

Respectfully.... it doesnt need to be fun to fly around. Its a starbase. You dock get stuff, and then leave. (And quite frankly, most people just sit at the spawn above ops anyway... they dont actually fly around, and my fleet and I just park off by the wormhole...) Scale it properly.

Also, move the ship spawn... I HATE beaming up to my ship and having the stupid DS9 flight controller ask me if I want to dock... no I dont... I just beamed up! Make it like Sol, where when you beam up to the ship, I'm not in range of the auto hail to dock.