Lt. Commander
# 1 Expansion of Bridge Officers
08-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Many great suggestions have come from players and devs regarding expansion of bridge officers. One thing I'd love to see is an expansion of their functionality. Many times while on an away mission I feel like I as the captain am doing everything and the BOFFs are standing around until it comes to combat.

Perhaps we could have the ability to issue non-combat orders to our BOFFs, such as asking them to scan the area for lifeforms or for atmospheric content, or scan something specific in the environment. Tactical officers could be given orders to secure the area, which would cause them to patrol the immediate vicinity of the away team. Eng officers could analyze and repair items or damaged parts of a boarded ship...etc etc.

Would also like to be able to issue an emote command to a BOFF, it would be an awesome roleplaying tool.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm11
Many great suggestions have come from players and devs regarding expansion of bridge officers. One thing I'd love to see is an expansion of their functionality. Many times while on an away mission I feel like I as the captain am doing everything and the BOFFs are standing around until it comes to combat.

Perhaps we could have the ability to issue non-combat orders to our BOFFs, such as asking them to scan the area for lifeforms or for atmospheric content, or scan something specific in the environment. Tactical officers could be given orders to secure the area, which would cause them to patrol the immediate vicinity of the away team. Eng officers could analyze and repair items or damaged parts of a boarded ship...etc etc.
Really like this idea. When they first talked about Boffs in pre-beta I had the impression that we'd be using ours officers in a similar fashion - issuing guard orders to tactical officers, scan order to the scientists, repair orders for engineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm11
Would also like to be able to issue an emote command to a BOFF, it would be an awesome roleplaying tool.
Definitely want. There was a game where you could issue dialog and emotes via your pets. City of Villians? Anyway, that would be a wonderful addition for boffs. If we had it I'd spend most my time on away missions talking to myself.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2010, 05:24 AM
I'd like to be able to promote one or two (depending on my rank, one at rear admiral, two at vice admiral) to the rank of captain, assign them command of one of the old lower tier ships I've got laying around, and call them in as backup during a fight every five minutes or so. (All equipment on the ship should virtually downgrade to captain level (mk VIII) while they're in command, so they're not too tough.) They'd have no BOs of their own so they'd be limited to their own BO abilities during the fight, and could no longer be used as regular bridge officers, assigned to consoles on your ship, unless you demote them back (not presently possible).
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Definitely want. There was a game where you could issue dialog and emotes via your pets. City of Villians?

Yes indeed, City of Villains. I remember ordering my soldier henchmen to stand for inspection, make them do pushups and jumping jacks while I yelled at them...great times!
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I really like this idea too. Being able to ask my away team to fan out and search for objectives would make some of the maps much less tedious. It would also give me a reason to change up my away team. For instance on a research mission I might take more science BoFFs if they could scan for things on their own.

I'd also like to be able to give non-combat commands while in combat. Maybe telling a team member to operate an objective console I'm trying to get too while I provide covering fire for example. Or ordering one to resuscitate a fallen group member rather then relying on them doing it themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been thinking about some ideas for the whole turning a bo into a npc pet captain, as this would definately give your admiral characters something to literally justify their rank within the scheme of things.

But there should be some stipulations, for example for a commander boff to be eligable for promotion he should have the experience required so it should be limited to boffs that have been at commander rank for at least 60 days or someother reasonable amount of time the training process should take a day or so to represent the boff going to sf command and getting a ship and running shakedowns with the new crew. The ships in heneral should probably not be as powerful as your own the idea of everything for the boff captain being capped at mk viii is perfect for this.

And occasionally you should receive hails from your boff captain about situations that his ship has ran across think of it as a sort of oregon trail type method. You are presented with a situation and a status report and then tell him on which method to proceed and depending on his ship and traits have it calculate some form of reward or loot table for him and his crew or adversely a penalty.

For example let's say capt davenport was your former chief engineer and was recently given command of one of your garage cruisers a galaxy for instance. He hails in repirting that he has run across some orions trying to run a blocade into cardassian space gives the status of his ship at 100 percent and presents the following options, intercept the orions, inform/assist the blocade or scan the orions .

Let's say you choose to intercept the following occurs: the capt boff's traits, ship type, and efficiency/health status are all calculated into a matrix and averaged against the orions with the choice to intercept providing some modifiers and a result value is generated and a decision given based on where it falls in the table.

For example capt davenport reports that he was able to intercept the orions and in the ensuing combat was able to disable 2 of the 3 ships however his warp engines are damaged and he needs to return to starbase ds9 for repairs. Result: gained random loot items, exp, and capt davenport cannot be used for 8 hours due to repairs

Just some random thoughts all typos due to RIM making far too tiny keys on blackberries
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysago
I really like this idea too. Being able to ask my away team to fan out and search for objectives would make some of the maps much less tedious. It would also give me a reason to change up my away team. For instance on a research mission I might take more science BoFFs if they could scan for things on their own.

I'd also like to be able to give non-combat commands while in combat. Maybe telling a team member to operate an objective console I'm trying to get too while I provide covering fire for example. Or ordering one to resuscitate a fallen group member rather then relying on them doing it themselves.
Love all these ideas!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-13-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised this thread has not received more attention given the potential application of what it's discussing.

It should be pretty straightforward ... say a resuscitate option to make them resuscitate the select avatar and a second one based on class.

I'd suggest:
  • "Guard" for tactical which makes the boff target who ever targets what it's guarding or gets within so many feet of it if its not given a character to guard.
  • "Scan" for science which makes the boff scan whatever is in range of him ... attached to a way point would of course allow you to tell him to scan certain objects.
  • "Repair / Build" for engineers which should be pretty self-explanatory. Just point him at something and he tries to make it workable.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-14-2010, 01:07 AM
i think that is too much potential clutter on the interface... but one simple work around would be the ability to switch your point of view to a boff, with limited abilities
abilities you can do: walking/running, firing -for defense-, setting movement waypoints, selecting items, using special ability items
stuff you cannot do: switch weapons, pick up dropped items, transport out

for example,
1. you select the BOFF from your UI team options. once switched, you have the team members on the side panel as normal, giving you the ability to switch to other BOFFS if needed.
2. you begin positioning, walking or running BOFF # 1 to a certain location, issue out a set of incremental commands, (such as attack this selected bad guy, waypoint to this location, then activate that selected console, and then attack this selected bad guy.)
3. an "execute orders" button pops up. now you can either switch (through the UI) to another BOFF, or select the "execute orders" button. once selected, your point of view auto switches back to your main character as all BOFFs given orders would carry them out in sequence. this would be very useful in tactical strikes and investigating.

or maybe the "execute orders" button appears once you switch back to your captain.. might make more sense
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
i think that is too much potential clutter on the interface... but one simple work around would be the ability to switch your point of view to a boff, with limited abilities
abilities you can do: walking/running, firing -for defense-, setting movement waypoints, selecting items, using special ability items
stuff you cannot do: switch weapons, pick up dropped items, transport out

for example,
1. you select the BOFF from your UI team options. once switched, you have the team members on the side panel as normal, giving you the ability to switch to other BOFFS if needed.
2. you begin positioning, walking or running BOFF # 1 to a certain location, issue out a set of incremental commands, (such as attack this selected bad guy, waypoint to this location, then activate that selected console, and then attack this selected bad guy.)
3. an "execute orders" button pops up. now you can either switch (through the UI) to another BOFF, or select the "execute orders" button. once selected, your point of view auto switches back to your main character as all BOFFs given orders would carry them out in sequence. this would be very useful in tactical strikes and investigating.

or maybe the "execute orders" button appears once you switch back to your captain.. might make more sense
While I appreciate the creativity of this suggestion, I actually disagree with it for the simple reason that I was actually trying to suggest ways to make a ground mission more "Trek-like", i.e. a Captain giving orders to his subordinate officers. This suggestion feels more like skinriding, which could be a cool power of a new race, but not something I'd want to do as my captain.