Lt. Commander
# 1 The Demo is lacking
08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey all,
I'm brand new to Star Trek Online, and the concept intrigued me. I'm not a hardcore fan of Star Trek, but I do enjoy it. I tried the demo of STO, and when I finished I felt as though I hadn't really been offered a taste of the full game. It didn't leave me wanting to buy it; it left me feeling like I had only experienced 5% of the experience, and I'm not prepared to pay for it without further experience. I think it would be a better demo if there were one or two more episodes available to play, as well as possibly a level cap of 10 if the devs feel like they're giving away too much content.

All in all, I was simply left feeling uninterested. Perhaps the demo really does showcase all that there is to STO, which would be a terrible shame, as the source material offers massive opportunity for innovation in the MMO field. On the other hand, if there is more to STO, I will never know because the demo did not offer enough to convince me to buy. It was enjoyable, but not nearly enough.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Agreed. I got my girlfriend on the demo a few days ago. She said she really liked what little she got to play, but wouldn't buy the game on the principle that the demo is way too short and that she felt like it was too restrictive, and those two elements irked her. For example, the demo version wouldn't allow her to see a ship interior or visit a social planet; all you get to do is the tutorial and the first mission after that. There's no valid reason to deny a player access to stuff like that; there's no content in it. You can't do anything in a ship interior or on a social planet other than talk to other players and that is EXACTLY the sort of thing Cryptic should be trying to play up with STO if they don't want to give away too many missions. At any rate, I was unable to convince her to try it for a month, so Cryptic lost at least one sale cause of the demo.

My advice for Cryptic? Ditch the demo idea and enable unlimited play over a short amount of play time. Allow players full access to everything for say, 5 hours of in game time, and call it a free trial. That's what most MMOs do and it works very well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I think the demo should last a week or so. Then you have option to buy it and pick up where you left off. like Wow.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
The Demo should allow access to the first few story missions, the first patrol, defend and explore mission, and possibly even the first Fleet Action on Starbase 24. Once these are complete, then have the Admiral explain over a few pages about what else the player can look forward to, such as a new ship at the Lt rank, other Fleet Actions, different enemies they will face (since it's all Klingon, Orion and Gorn for ~15 levels), special encounters like the Crystalline Entity, etc. OK, maybe leave out the CE, not sure that 20 people arguing over what to do is a good feature.

Still, as someone who played the demo, I was appaled at how useless it was. The ONLY reason I gave the game a shot is because Cryptic made City of Heroes, which has been entertaining me for the last 6 years. That and four people nagging me "Come on, you'll like it. Tryi it. You'll see. Come on, man. Just do it." I hate peer pressure. :p

But yeah, the demo is utterly useless, a complete waste of time, disk space and bandwidth and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Except maybe BioWare, who decided to turn gaming back 17 years and bring back Rebel Assault and call it 'space combat'. /facepalm
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
We're actually revisiting the demo, and will likely be expanding it in the near future.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
We're actually revisiting the demo, and will likely be expanding it in the near future.

Thanks,

Stormshade
What types of changes do you anticipate making?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Hopefully it will have an Academy experience before tossing us at the Borg as full fledged Starfleet Officers (Ensigns).

After all, most new players barely know how to walk or use a door...that's more like a cadet. :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm glad to hear so many people agree, and that the team is looking into it!

I like the idea of unilmited play for 10 to 14 days. classic mmo trial; it works well. I felt overloaded with concepts (multiple currencies, attack/defence ratings, etc,) which I never got to explore in the demo. I'd be thrilled to get a more immersive taste of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2010, 04:57 AM
Frankly, I don't understand why all MMOs don't have a 2 week free trial period.

I can't even count the number of MMOs I haven't bought because they didn't let me actually see what I would be getting into.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I felt actually insulted by the shortness of the demo and rage unistalled the fricken thing. That was after downloading the old 8 gig "full game" demo, which took about the whole day.

Only after a kind soul gave me an old 10 days free key I bought it, after the 2nd day actually.

Back then you could visit earth dock without problem though, and itīs about the only real social place in this game anyway.
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Best idea ever.
Make it so. ASAP!