Lt. Commander
# 11
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkinFencer10 View Post
"It's option; take it or leave it." That doesn't mean much when just about everything added is "optional; take it or leave it." It's like my $15 subscription fee is what I pay to give me the right to buy more stuff from them; the monthly fee gets me very little new content.
While I agree that there are some problems with the C-Store, I do not believe that it is quite at that level of doom-and-gloom yet. I think that there needs to be a radical rethinking on the concept and what should and should not go in there and a coming up with a normalized pricing structure is a must. However, the concept of an MT store is not a new one nor is it a bad one in theory. The major problem is that Cryptari marketing seems to not understand the concept nor know how to implement it properly.

Quote:
As for the "you don't speak for me" comment, if I know a handful of players who more or less agree with me on that, I'm going to use a plural noun. No one would take the time to poll each and every individual STO player in the world just to make sure everyone's opinion is spoken for. I know several people with the same concerns I have; I'm expressing those opinions.
I don't know about how others feel, but saying "we" automatically makes people think that you are talking about the entire player base, which is entirely untrue. There are a number of people that are fine with the C-Store as it is, others are fine with it providing that the company makes certain changes, while a third faction thinks that having an MT store in a P2P game is the sign of the gaming apocalypse. When making comments like that...please say something like "I can only speak for myself" or "I know a few people who feel the same way that I do". Just don't lump us all into one category like that or you WILL get responses like those above.

Personally, this thread screams to me as a "Make these changes or I'll quit" thread. Again, you're blowing things out of proportion and making a larger mountain of a smaller mountain. Season Two brought some much needed FREE content...not enough, mind you, but it's a slow start. I think that if the focus DOES change to in-game content over the C-Store the game will get better, but we need to look at both the positive as well as the negative aspects in STO.

Just complaining about what's wrong with the game will just push people away...Cryptic will continue to lose current and potential subs due to such a negative viewpoint without giving any consideration to the good the game has...and Atari will look at the figures and decide to pull the plug...something that most of us would not want to see happen.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I would have to agree that there is too much in the C-Store. And I also agree that they have too much emphasis of the C-Store.

Btw, there is $140 worth of C-Store content (at my last count)

I am part of his "WE" comment and he has a right to state his opinion of the game and show the developers where he and other players have a problem. That is the point of forums, an open area to discuss opinions on a topic, as well as problems or praises.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Breaking the trend here i am going to have to say i am not in full agreement.
So much for everyone in fleets always agreeing. :p

One thing that needs to be realised, is that C-Store work does NOT take manpower away from the more important issues such as game mechanics and bug fixing, different people for different jobs.
This is something i have said many times on these forums.

That being said, i do agree however that far to much new content is being put up on the C-Store.
The retrofits IMO really do not belong there, and the upcoming Nebula and Excelsior class ships really should be just added to the game like any new ships and not the C-Store.
Nor should the off-duty uniforms, as our options are already lacking and the klingons don't even have any at all.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
That being said, i do agree however that far to much new content is being put up on the C-Store.
The retrofits IMO really do not belong there, and the upcoming Nebula and Excelsior class ships really should be just added to the game like any new ships and not the C-Store.
Nor should the off-duty uniforms, as our options are already lacking and the klingons don't even have any at all.
Totally Agreed.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I 110% agree with the OP.

CRYptic stop focusing on the C-Store and fix the bugs. Kar'rat has been bug central since day 1. 6 months in the system is still bug central. If you can add $25 ships to the C-store you can fix this system.

AS a side note, I dont think we will ever get the Klingons where they should be content wise. I also fear the day when the Romulans are playable. (95% Explore, 5% actuall missions????)
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I really honestly don't think Cryptic would dare push out Romulans in a premature and unfinished state after the ****storm that was Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Quote:
I really honestly don't think Cryptic would dare push out Romulans in a premature and unfinished state after the ****storm that was Klingons.

absolutely, as much as I want to see the Romulans come to play, I really doubt Cryptic would make the same mistake and from all accounts of what DStahl has said in podcasts and such, they seem to feel exactly the same way. I would expect not to see Romulans till at least next summer at earliest.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
One thing that needs to be realised, is that C-Store work does NOT take manpower away from the more important issues such as game mechanics and bug fixing, different people for different jobs.
This is something i have said many times on these forums.
The problem is that there are indications that this is not true. The Nebula was not made by some "C-Store modeller." It was made by CpnLogan, who is generally seen working on non-store content. Any "free" (i.e. for sub price) content he could have been working on was not worked on while he was making something for Cryptic to sell.

The idea that there would be a team of devs paid for by the C-Store who would then focus on the C-Store was the sole saving grace of the MTs in my eyes. Now it seems like that never happened, and developing C-Store content actually pulls manpower from sub content.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'm not sure who ever said that... but I'm certainly on record as stating that the C-Store is one way for our team to justify additional resources to get fan requested one-off items into the game.

Most (if not all) assets used in the game come directly from our content needs.

For example - we have a new sector opening up, we need new a new villain group, they need their ships, their costumes, their interiors, exteriors ... etc..etc..etc... and perhaps they have special weapons or what have you...

So our team is focused on making all of that stuff... but then people ask us... "hey can we have the Excelsior pretty please?"

This leads to ... hmm.. we only have x number of ship artists... if we put it in the C-Store it will allow us to offset costs and get it to you sooner than later.

Otherwise... you'd end up waiting until we were making content that required an Excelsior ....

Thats how I view the picture... and I for one never forget that you are paying a subscription which is why our very humble small team works a ton of hours to continue to crank up updates.... "for free" (ie your subscription is paying for it)
Dstahl even admits himself that there is no seperate team for the C-Store.
So yes, EVERY item in the C-Store does take away content and bug fixes from the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't mind the C-Store at all. Let me clarify my opinion of the C-Store. My problem with the C-Store is that it seems to me that too much is being added to the C-Store in comparison to what's being added to the game for free (meaning paid for with my subscription). My other problem with it is that (I haven't looked at the officially released posts, so don't crucify me if I'm mistaken; this is what I've heard floating around a lot in game) I have heard that the Excelsior and Nebula class vessels being developed are going to be released in the C-Store. The Galaxy-X was one thing (though I'm still a bit annoyed by the price, Alexraptor explained his take on it and it made more sense to me) because you could get that through referrals, but putting new ships (not skins for existing ships), especially such an iconic ship as the Excelsior in the C-Store would make me very upset. I wouldn't quit playing the game - I apologize for my post's sounding like that because I'm too obsessed with Star Trek to quit at this point - but I would be very unhappy. My subscription would get me access to those ships, I think. Charge an insane amount of energy credits or starfleet merits, but not real world money; I'm already paying enough of that.

Anyway, I apologize if I seemed over-spastic in my OP, but I have been getting irritated with the amount of content and frequency of content releases in the C-Store verses content released in-game.