08-08-2010, 11:24 PM
More about the German Developers Star Trek games can be found:

Here>> http://www.gameforge.de/content/view/401/57/lang,en/
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassidus View Post
Good good, I hope someone does, I was looking at old info based on perpetuals work and it makes me sad that this is what came of it, there game looked alot better.

Maybee Bioware will do one after the new star wars hehe

You guys need to watch this, it explains the history of star trek mmo

http://www.totallyradshow.com/episodes/month/april-2010
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
It's all CBS. They will pawn the Trek IP to the next unknown and unproven dev team out there in la la land soon enough. It has become a tradition. While Wars gets the big guns, we get the small companies that F everything up (at least we do since the activision breakup).

Expect the next game to thoroughly underperform and completely underdeliver. It's Star Trek after all.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Which is funny when you consider what the guy who wrote their game design documents had to say about Cryptic's version of STO: http://www.eldergame.com/2010/03/sto...ot-too-shabby/
Nice read... and from what it sounds like STO is a ton better then what Perpetual had (or in terms of space, didn't even have!)
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassidus View Post
Good good, I hope someone does, I was looking at old info based on perpetuals work and it makes me sad that this is what came of it, there game looked alot better.
Of course Perpetual's looked better.

They could promise everyone everything they ever wanted in a Star Trek MMO - because you know what? They had NO intention of EVER producing anything.

They spent a couple thousand dollars to have some concept artwork done and some "screenshots" made up and used those to bilk investor for MILLIONS all the while stringing along fans for YEARS while the guys in charge partied it up in the Bahamas. Heck, they didn't even go as far as spending another couple thousand to have their own forums for the game - it was so much of a scam.They let fan based websites do the 'work' for them. This in itself should have been a HUGE red flag.

Yeah. Perpetual. SOOOO much better.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
Of course Perpetual's looked better.

They could promise everyone everything they ever wanted in a Star Trek MMO - because you know what? They had NO intention of EVER producing anything.

They spent a couple thousand dollars to have some concept artwork done and some "screenshots" made up and used those to bilk investor for MILLIONS all the while stringing along fans for YEARS while the guys in charge partied it up in the Bahamas. Heck, they didn't even go as far as spending another couple thousand to have their own forums for the game - it was so much of a scam.They let fan based websites do the 'work' for them. This in itself should have been a HUGE red flag.

Yeah. Perpetual. SOOOO much better.
Plus, people don't recall some of Perpetual's "late" screens of space encounters. Those were so bad I was hearing a lot of folks complaining about THOSE. Anyway, I agree, comparing Crytpic's STO to Perpetual's is not the same thing...Perpetual's was worse.

As to the OP. Cryptic DOES have the rights to the Star Trek MMO Online. The "other" ST game is a browser based game that some have incorrectly identified as an MMO...which it is not. It is far more like Farmville then it is like STO in any way.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-09-2010, 08:08 AM
My two cents:

STO is the first and only Star Trek MMO and it took until 2010 for it to be released, despite Star Trek being the most popular or second most popular (depending on who you ask) Science-Fiction franchise in history. Instead of us wishing for greener pastures, we should put 100% support behind Cryptic and steer them in the direction they need to go. They have said they would have liked another year to have actually worked on it before it was released, but Atari said no. We need to continue supporting STO so it can continue to get better. Season 2 was a big help. Now lets make sure this thing last until Season 22 and beyond.

/Soapbox
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-09-2010, 08:39 AM
"On a larger scale, they reused Perpetualís notion of how Warp Space works. They obviously used the mock-up screens we had made. However, in our design, the blue ribbons that flow along the map were highways that increase speed. In Crypticís STO, they seem to just be pretty ribbons of light."

So we need to shuddup about Sector Space
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Which is funny when you consider what the guy who wrote their game design documents had to say about Cryptic's version of STO: http://www.eldergame.com/2010/03/sto...ot-too-shabby/
Perpetual was a sad joke. They didn't have an engine according to their own devs.

However, they weren't using that money to party up in the Bahamas. Last I heard, it was funneled to their pet project instead of the Perpetual version of STO.

Perpetual didn't even have space interactions designed, just screenshots but no design docs according to many of the devs.