Lt. Commander
# 21
08-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry, a T5 connie is just not something I can get behind in any way. There is no way a Constitution can possibly house the necessary equipment to make it a viable T5 design. 100+ year old chassis just cannot pack what would be needed to make it a reasonable flagship post 2409.

Don't do this please.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Sorry, a T5 connie is just not something I can get behind in any way. There is no way a Constitution can possibly house the necessary equipment to make it a viable T5 design. 100+ year old chassis just cannot pack what would be needed to make it a reasonable flagship post 2409.

Don't do this please.
And yet the Raptor, for the KDF, is from archer's era. And you're ok with that?
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:

Don't do this please.
It's a game.

If Cryptic wants to make a T6 ship that has 5 weapons slots fore and aft, and put the Connie or NX Class skin on it, they totally can. It's just a matter of coding.

Stop trying to be so logical, and accept that the perfect little Star Trek universe that you want, can't be accomplished in the framework of STO anymore. That ship has sailed.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
And yet the Raptor, for the KDF, is from archer's era. And you're ok with that?
Actually, no, I am not though I could work logic to make the Rater seem reasonable where as the Connie I see no way how that can happen.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE the Miranda class. It is an awesome versatile ship. I would love to be able to use one all through my leveling and into the admiral levels. However, though I would love that, it does not make any real sense given its age and its limitations. Yeah, I'm bringing rational though into this. That is a big error on my part because this IS the STO forums where rational thought has no place apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
It's a game.

If Cryptic wants to make a T6 ship that has 5 weapons slots fore and aft, and put the Connie or NX Class skin on it, they totally can. It's just a matter of coding.

Stop trying to be so logical, and accept that the perfect little Star Trek universe that you want, can't be accomplished in the framework of STO anymore. That ship has sailed.
[sarcasm]No kidding. Its a game? I had no clue! I think I'm going to have to cry in my wife's perfect little apron after she is done cooking a perfect little roast in our perfect little house[/sarcasm]. Seriously, you didn't think I knew that? You felt it necessary to point this out? Give me a break.

This is about art and integrity.

In the the Ask Cryptic from yesterday the idea that Cryptic will "stay true to Star Trek" was made several times. All I am saying is at some point I would like them to start doing that and chill with this idiotic theme park mess. Go find someone IRL to gripe on, CaptMattSchwab. Here you only will set yourself up to be ignored or reported. Thanks for playing, though.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I guess we should also see some T-5 Runabouts as well. How about we get a set of armor that is T-5 so you can just jump out an air lock and lump up some klingons. Oh wait I know, how about Kirk's bike from the last movie, lets get that in the game and make it tier 5.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
This is about art and integrity.

In the the Ask Cryptic from yesterday the idea that Cryptic will "stay true to Star Trek" was made several times. All I am saying is at some point I would like them to start doing that and chill with this idiotic theme park mess. Go find someone IRL to gripe on, CaptMattSchwab. Here you only will set yourself up to be ignored or reported. Thanks for playing, though.
I think you mistook my meaning, and my carefully disguised sarcasm.

What you are asking for (and what so many others were telling Cryptic for a year) is now impossible. 6 months after launch you can't go back and take the theme park feeling out of the game, without redesigning the game in significant ways.

Think of it this way. The theme park is open for business, there are patrons riding the rides, the roller coaster is screaming by, kids laughing and cheering. You can't all of a sudden come in and change the layout and design of the park, 6 months after it has opened while people are on the rides and paying for admittance.

I agree with you. The Star Trek theme park that STO has become, is not what I would have hoped for. But it is here and there is nothing we can do about it. So you can either accept that this is the future of STO, and enjoy the rides, or you can refuse to go to the theme park.

I won't direct you one way or the other. I've already made my choice, but only you can choose what your path will be.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
And I see your tech mode and trump it with BOOK MODE!
Oh snap! It's totally going down now.....

JK

Ok - I didn't mean to start a war, but other than some spiked emotions I think we have a real topic here. To boil it all down, I would summarize that those opposed to a T5 Connie are so because 1) It's too much of a bend for Cannon Star Trek, and 2) Based on contemporary Science, Mechanics, and Engineering; such an acion would, at the least, be extreemly cost inefficiant.

On the other side, we have the players in search of 1) ... I'll call it "freedom of ingame expression." STO already has us customizing everything, so why not lift the barriers on what our endgame ships can be? 2) The tech argument has two sides: Trek science, mechanics, and engineering is beyond that of the modern era, which basically means that the design nature of Jet Fighters does NOT parallel (or a word like that) Trek Starships. [[ALSO: I didn't know the F-14 counted as Generation-III; I always lumped it with the F-15, F-16, etc. Hmmm - learn something every day....]]

Anyway, I'm glad we have this going. Please, keep the ideas flowing.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras

Ship hull is ageing and made of lesser alloys and thus has far less strength. - Assuming its an Original constitution refit and not a brand new ship built with the same hull.
Ships systems are outdated and would need to be replaced - Hence the word "refit", even a B-52 in todays world can be upgraded and refitted with the latest "state of the art" avionics.
Ships warpcore is not powerful enough to power new equipment so needs to be replaced
So will all the eps conduits etc so handle the new power flow - which is again why you refit a ship, and if a Defiant class ship a smaller ship can pack a high powered warp core, then so can a constitution.
I so love debunking crazy notions. :p

That being said, i don't think the Connie should be retrofitted for Tier 5.
If it is then it should have the same hull strenght it does at Tier 2, since mass also plays a role in durability of any construction.
Ensign
# 29
02-19-2013, 03:08 AM
i think a constitution refit fleet ship would be nice if it matched the standard heavy cruiser or the nova class refit.
Career Officer
# 30
02-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Holy Necrothread batman!

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino