Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
First a question

when you waiting in line for PvP and the other side has 2 people in the line for several maps does that mean in the whole game thier are only 2 people on the other side signed up for PvP at that time ?

That just dosen't seem possible with the number of people playing.


Second is just a thought.
assuming for whatever reason there is a lack of available people to pvp with would it not make more sense to just have 1 or 2 giant que's that everyon joins

and just have the game generate random games
if a map comes up that you don't want to play you snooze
if not enough people engage map closes and game opens a new map
game will also adjust minimum people required to start the game if its taking to long to get a map going
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-09-2010, 07:09 AM
a couple of things to remember is that there are slow and busy times of the day. the last 4 hours are the slowest part of the day (the reason they do maintenance at this time) and the queue does not show people who are currently pvping. so its possible there are people in that tier they are just involved in a game at that time.

there as been lots of problems with pvp not working correctly since season 2 launched so some people might also just be avoiding it for the time being or are simply bored of it.

pvp is generally not that popular in any game and only represents a small fraction of the player base but the pvp is still very basic in this game so i think its going to take time and effort before we start seeing lots of people playing it

the problems with one giant queue is say you get 10 or 20 people in a queue, which one will pop first. most people either like ground or space, or like arena or assault. if only one pops chances are only a small number of people will join and the game wont start. thats one of the drawback of this game having two unique play styles in ground and space. it splits the player base up further.

at least the way it is people are joining the game they want

they have said they plan to adjust the minimum numbers required and it looks like we will soon have the ability to set custom matches

1v1, or 2v2 etc to get quicker games going
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I disagree with the notion that PvP isn't popular. The vast majority of people I know PvP in some capacity. My fleets aren't PvP fleets and isn't small, and yet most everyone in them PvP. The concept of a "small minority" that PvPs isn't true; but it is an idea that certain PvE "only" types put forward. Not implying everyone who says such has somekind of agenda, but are merely repeating what they hear.

This may be true in other games, but certainly not STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
This may be true in other games, but certainly not STO.
Of all the many MMOs I play, I have found the STO player base to be the most anti-PvP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenda
Of all the many MMOs I play, I have found the STO player base to be the most anti-PvP.
I've had exactly the opposite impression. Nearly everyone I know playing STO engages in PvP, while very few of these same people do PvP in other MMOs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
I disagree with the notion that PvP isn't popular. The vast majority of people I know PvP in some capacity. My fleets aren't PvP fleets and isn't small, and yet most everyone in them PvP. The concept of a "small minority" that PvPs isn't true; but it is an idea that certain PvE "only" types put forward. Not implying everyone who says such has somekind of agenda, but are merely repeating what they hear.

This may be true in other games, but certainly not STO.
Its not necessarily that very few people PvP, its that the majority of most players play time is PvE. They do PvP some, but not the majority of their time. And of course, there are those who PvP most of their playtime, but they arent the majority.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
I've had exactly the opposite impression. Nearly everyone I know playing STO engages in PvP, while very few of these same people do PvP in other MMOs.
Agreed... I won't go into my reasons why, but I rarely PvP'd when I played WoW and I never PvP'd when I played EverQuest or EverQuest 2. But I PvP all the time in STO; it's my main avenue of play, actually.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
I've had exactly the opposite impression. Nearly everyone I know playing STO engages in PvP, while very few of these same people do PvP in other MMOs.
So, why are the queues so empty? Even at prime time.

And this has been the case for many months now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Its not necessarily that very few people PvP, its that the majority of most players play time is PvE. They do PvP some, but not the majority of their time. And of course, there are those who PvP most of their playtime, but they arent the majority.
There isn't such a stark divide as you suggest. True, there are people who only PvP (at least I assume) and they're definitely the minority. But no one here is suggesting that people who only PvP are more populous than people who only PvE. But there are more people who do PvP on some level than people who don't PvP at all; that is what we're saying. That indicates to me that PvP is fairly popular.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenda
So, why are the queues so empty? Even at prime time.

And this has been the case for many months now.
This could be for any number of reasons. Also I dispute the fact that PvP queues are empty, at least not at VA1/LG1. Ever since Season 2 there's been a huge issue with the queues themselves, I suspect some people don't even bother until that's fixed. Even considering those things, I still always get into PvP matches. Unless it's the dead of night and no one is hardly playing, there's rarely ever an issue with needing people for a match.

So I'm not sure what your "prime time" is or what rank you are, but it's not the case for me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
I think it's more an issue with bugged queues and luck than anything else. I was only on for a couple of hours last night and got in 8 PvP matches. They were so frequent that I couldn't even finish a PvE mission before having to jump back into PvP.

Apparently, different players are getting vastly different experiences.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:00 AM.