Lt. Commander
# 1 DS9-Exterior
08-09-2010, 09:03 AM
To clear up any confusion on this. I am talking only about the Exterior as seen from the Interiors upper level through the windows.

I spend some time looking out the DS9's windows and realised that it does not do justice to the station as seen in TV. there are 2 main reasons for that.
  1. the textures are moody. They just seem like one solid color with some enhancements to make it look slightly more like an exterior. Those textures simply lack the nessesary detail especially right at the windows.
  2. The attace-points of all 6 pylons seem to be equally far away from the map's center yet that isn't true from the stations original layout

Those are the main 2 reasons why I personally think DS9's exterior needs a refit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
I think DS9 looks dull from its exterior because there are no shadows. Because there is no light source, if they added a sun in the distance to the opposite side of the wormhole it would start to look great.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Doesn't help that:

1. The model is inaccurate, and low on details like the runabout launch pads.

2. The lighting is totally off.

3. The model is too big, which draws attention to the fact that...

4. ...the textures are flat, and low-res, to boot - they don't hold up well at all from any view other than extremely long distances.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm divided on the size issue. Technically DS9 should have dwarfed any Federation starship in orbit or docking at it. Heck the habitat ring alone was designed to fit around 7000 people. I do think it needs more detail and the lighting fixed (I think Bajor's sun needs to be in the background to cast some shadows on the thing). But I think right now they need to fix on the details for the place. They wouldn't (I hope) have one of the Enterprises flying around with such low res graphics.
Lt. Commander
# 5 There are three pylons.
08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
If you stand on the upper deck in some spots you can see all three of the upper major docking pylons from one spot. one in front of you and one to the right and one to the left. as they are supposed to be equidistand around the circumfrence I should only ever be able to see 2 maximum as if I can see 2 the tird is directly behind me on the other side of the station.