Lt. Commander
# 1 New Diplomatic MIssion Idea
08-09-2010, 09:06 AM
This is based off of the episode First Contact

This would not be simple, and I'm sure it would be difficult. But I'm thinking of a mission, like Rikers, to go down to a pre-warp society and learn about them. You could have to gather information about them and their lives. It would also be a mission you can fail, if you contaminate the society with post-warp information and technology, or just let them find out you're an alien. I think it should definitely be a repeatable scenario with different cities and aliens speech and things like that. You would also have you char look like the aliens on the planet.

Also, I think it should be like an STF of diplomacy. It should be the big thing people wait for in diplomatic missions. Repeatable, long, difficult and hopefully complicated. And only available for Ambassadors.

This would solve the so called "End game Of diplomacy" you get to ambassador and there is nothing left to do, well this would solve that.

I would enjoy this very much.

What do you think? Also if you have any thing to add for this idea, much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
This is based off of the episode First Contact

This would not be simple, and I'm sure it would be difficult. But I'm thinking of a mission, like Rikers, to go down to a pre-warp society and learn about them. You could have to gather information about them and their lives. It would also be a mission you can fail, if you contaminate the society with post-warp information and technology, or just let them find out you're an alien. I think it should definitely be a repeatable scenario with different cities and aliens speech and things like that. You would also have you char look like the aliens on the planet.

Also, I think it should be like an STF of diplomacy. It should be the big thing people wait for in diplomatic missions. Repeatable, long, difficult and hopefully complicated. And only available for Ambassadors.

This would solve the so called "End game Of diplomacy" you get to ambassador and there is nothing left to do, well this would solve that.

I would enjoy this very much.

What do you think? Also if you have any thing to add for this idea, much appreciated.
Hrm, I like it, I like it lots. But I wonder if maybe this would be something that would better sidestep out of say Darren_Kitlor Alternative Advancement thread. Just from the standpoint the mission is a tad more anthropology then it really is necessarily a first contact mission. Barring it being rolled into that I would be perfectly ok with this being just outright implemented as a diplomatic mission, though I wonder if there is a way to change the character editor to give you a short term 'facelift' for you to go undercover for this mission type.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Hrm, I like it, I like it lots. But I wonder if maybe this would be something that would better sidestep out of say Darren_Kitlor Alternative Advancement thread. Just from the standpoint the mission is a tad more anthropology then it really is necessarily a first contact mission. Barring it being rolled into that I would be perfectly ok with this being just outright implemented as a diplomatic mission, though I wonder if there is a way to change the character editor to give you a short term 'facelift' for you to go undercover for this mission type.
I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. But are you saying you don't think this would be a good mission in itself?

And I was thinking the game would just MAKE you look like one the aliens.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh I think it would be a nifty brilliant mission. I actually bothered to find the post I was talking about this time: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=171553

In that we were having a discussion on a branched tree for unlocking content and stuff and one of the ideas that struck me was to have a tree that would allow a character to 'grow' such as specialize in archeology, anthropology, yada yada. My thought is that your mission idea would be great as something to unlock along those lines. Regardless I think it would make for an interesting addition however it was implemented.

The only thing I dont know is how easy it would be to put a 'mask' on your character. Though since all the editor parts are there for you to play with, I don't see why the game couldn't do the same for the duration of a mission or 2.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I think it would be easy for your character to just Be an alien for the duration of the mission. It can't be that hard.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
I think it would be easy for your character to just Be an alien for the duration of the mission. It can't be that hard.
Never say that phrase, especially when talking about the world of coding
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
There is a Klingon mission where your ship is a Danube Runabout, it's the same principal.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Anyone else care to comment?
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Anyone else care to comment?
Im really not sure I like the mission you proposed. But definitely the idea of STFs for the Diplomatic side of this game. It would create more depth and even give this game the content it needs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I can live with that.