Lt. Commander
# 21
08-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure anyone is saying that this would cure ground PvP. It seems like a fun diversion and nothing more.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
that and in pvp 3rd person always wins.
I always figured you Undine scum used the 3rd person camera to bend around walls! Will your treachery never end?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
i like the current ground combat.
I do too. I most certainly do NOT want an FPS game. If I did, I would have bought an FPS game.
Someone needs to be interviewed by Sector 31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
WOW, just shows you how amazing the detail on the weapons is. Very uber
Yeah and the game came out in 2003, an amazing job done by the talented people at Ritual Entertainment.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackXX View Post
I always figured you Undine scum used the 3rd person camera to bend around walls! Will your treachery never end?!
can slide on top of the doors too
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for doing this, these look great, almost brought a tear to my eye. 8)

I would love to see this, even with the mechanics completely as is - if we had weapon in the hud I'd absolutely use it virtually exclusively for ground missions (and if we didn't, I'd still use it most of the time - certainly out of combat).

I would agree you'd need to leave third person mode in there (I would note that it wouldn't matter in PvP if *everyone* was in FP mode, but there is no doubting that it helps in PvE party instances, nor that some players prefer it - though as with many things if they'd launched with it being first person by default most people most people would have been quite happy with it that way).
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
I do too. I most certainly do NOT want an FPS game. If I did, I would have bought an FPS game.
The original premise for ground combat in STO (albeit under Perpetual) was FPS and I was hugely excited by that. While I am fine with traditional MMO style combat, I certainly prefer to have FPS style gameplay ala Elite Force (especially with the difficulty slider option), but I don't think anyone thinks that's really on the cards.

That said, first person camera does not equate to FPS style gameplay. Virtually every MMO has a first person view, albeit without equipped weapons visible as they are in a typical FPS and plenty of games have "PC/RPG" style combat but a First Person view.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I wasn't watching Perpetual's game, and couldn't care less what they had planned. Frankly, I find first person view in any game to be annoying. Something about cutting off all of my peripheral vision. It doesn't feel like first person, it feels like I've been shut in a box with only a little mail slot to look through into the world.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
I wasn't watching Perpetual's game, and couldn't care less what they had planned. Frankly, I find first person view in any game to be annoying. Something about cutting off all of my peripheral vision. It doesn't feel like first person, it feels like I've been shut in a box with only a little mail slot to look through into the world.
That and Boff Management is a pain in the tuchus in first-person mode.

I say Mass Effect 2 style: over-the-shoulder awesomeness.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
That and Boff Management is a pain in the tuchus in first-person mode. I say Mass Effect 2 style: over-the-shoulder awesomeness.
This is where I pointed out that the FPS view should be an option for players - NOT the only view, but an OPTION. Keeping the traditional 3rd person MMO camera view and even doing a Gears of War/Mass Effect over the shoulder camera view would be possible as well. If you don't like it, then don't use it, but based on some of the feedback on the thread it's obvious that some people, such as myself, would enjoy it.

I don't see where having BOff management would be any harder than what it currently is, as it is I'm too preoccupied running, dodging and doing weapon combos to babysit them. My BOffs are pretty good at taking care of themselves and myself in the tight spots. If you wanted more BOff control, then you could switch to the other view point to control their movement and attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQ
Ground combat complaints and FPS view wouldn't fix themmm
Primarily the point of the thread is to pie in the sky dream of an alternative view and loosen up the gameplay from a traditional MMO standpoint by offering a more fluid combat experience. As Tehedra and USS Parallax have mentioned; of course FPS view isn't going to fix all the ground combat bumps, only long term tweaking will.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I love how the same radar map is used for each pic and the camera is in the direction opposite the player is looking.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
These look great! This should have been in the game to begin with. Being first person makes you feel like you ARE the Captain, instead of merely watching him do your bidding. It would also eliminate the hidiously large interiors and giant bridges. Kill three birds with one stone.....
Closed Thread