Lt. Commander
# 31
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
really dont understand the call for a first person view....
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm doing the best I can to bring the most out of this game with my limited toolset. Those pics are indeed great. It would be cool to have more, higher res guns and hands, but I won't see that happen anytime in the future. Not a problem thou, the current gun models are look OK.
True FPS would be great, but it would drive away a good portion of the players so I just settle with this soft FPS setup. I just assume that Star Trek weapons are smart and they can track the designated enemy.
I think that mod is a good compromise, which makes both TPV and FPV fans happy.

@Canders: FPV is 2nd nature to me. I've been playing them for 15 years now. While I always found TPV awkward and disorienting. I'm sure plenty of FPS fans feel the same way.
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
This doesn't look THAT good. In motion your shots will go at those crazy angles compared to where your gun is point (more noticeable in FPS mode). When I do it my arms don't show for my dual guns and I have 2 floating guns that shoot at 45 degree angles.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
I wasn't watching Perpetual's game, and couldn't care less what they had planned. Frankly, I find first person view in any game to be annoying. Something about cutting off all of my peripheral vision. It doesn't feel like first person, it feels like I've been shut in a box with only a little mail slot to look through into the world.
I'm not sure how you intend this to sound, but having a tude with people that disagree with you isn't going to win you friends.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Personally i'd be happy just to have the convenience of having the current first person view added into the mouse wheel scroll. I don't think whole new models and textures need to be made for first person view, that'd be a LOT of work for something the game isn't really geared for.

I actually enjoy how free the current weapons feel in first person, they move a lot depending on what you're doing and for some reason even with invisible hands this feels more real. With the models permanently stuck in position like standard FPS games i feel like a robot. I think they could happily go the hitman route and just keep the same models and textures for third and first person.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
I've often wondered if the ground game would have fared better if it played a bit more like PlanetSide or Huxley.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-10-2010, 01:02 AM
That honestly looks pretty cool and it's already in game, just make the "FPS" toggle go to this camera view.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
i like the current ground combat.
So do I, but I'd love a FPS option for how to play it, even if they keep the current targeting system in place
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Most online games offer first person as an option....there are even those that allow you to zoom in far enough to change to first person.

First person is much better for hectic combat situations, since you remove the biggest block to your vision....your body.

It just makes it feel more like its YOU fighting instead of some avatar you control.
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Really cool editted screenshots. I like them. The sooner STO stops trying to be a crappy WoW clone on the ground, the better. I love the picture with the bat'leth... I'd love to go face-to-face, literally like that. Amazing.
Closed Thread