Lt. Commander
# 101 Bridge officers moving on.
08-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
I really like this Idea. Especially the Idea of the Bridge officer eventually becoming his own Captian and becoming a new character. It would even be great if they used that way to allow players to basically create characters above level 1, or level 6 on Klingon side. With the option to skip the tutorial in order to get those extra levels. Maybe not an automatic new level 51, but perhaps a level 11.
At some point I do agree with this and I like the Brdge posts idea however there is a new issue I have come across that makes me feel that bridge officers need to be rotated out or moved on.

Right now I have one Rear Admeral that is still developing. All my officers have 9 ranks in all skills and I have 22,000 unspent bridge officer skill point.

That being said at some point your officers need to move on to other posts even Will Riker took up the Captain chair of the Titan. This way you don't have a massive pool of skill points that you can't do anything with.

Also I thought you could sell your officers on the exchange?

Can you sell your officers on the exchange?
Lt. Commander
# 102 Hand picking items
08-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyonas View Post
Sad but probably accurate. I dislike the whole idea of Ask Cryptic because it lets them pick and choose what to answer. If they wanted to do it better they could do an IRC event of Ask Cryptic. Real-time answers, no cherry picking questions and it's clear to all which questions are ignored then.
Not to defend them but in the end they made the game. Were just the lab rats who test it find the flaws, and hope they fix it. Were like the monkies in that Simpson Episode trying to create a book for Mr. Burns.

A lot of fan content was added Already I can tell you other games, designers, and companys would not even be as fan friendly.

When will we see a Nebula class skin?
Lt. Commander
# 103 problem
08-11-2010, 10:15 AM
the problem beyond cryptics comprehension is that they pushed the story from sector to sector as you go to higher ranks. Thats a bad way to make a MMORPG that is universe based. its about the Star trek and Starfleet had rotations in the ships.

the combadge is all over the place. starfleet does not contact you anymore after lower RA. the game should follow after the beginning trailers your first made cryptic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1HM...eature=related

thats a reminder of what you have missed throughout the whole ordeal. clean up the codes that need to be complete to do simple functions on a ship and station and work your way from their

oh yeah what happen to thses ships in this trailer that you created

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cDQ3...eature=related
Lt. Commander
# 104
08-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconianknight View Post
Well I have been screaming for dueling or 1vs1 PvP since before launch. At least has finally been mentioned in a "Ask Cryptic":
Yeah, it was mentioned, but the reply didn't mention it - it only started at 2vs2, 3vs3 etc.

If they're that worried about 1vs1 duels being used to add to PvP counters when it's just one person with two accounts or something, then they could just allow us to do it for fun, rather than for rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 105
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic_Aardvark View Post
Yeah, it was mentioned, but the reply didn't mention it - it only started at 2vs2, 3vs3 etc.

If they're that worried about 1vs1 duels being used to add to PvP counters when it's just one person with two accounts or something, then they could just allow us to do it for fun, rather than for rewards.
1vs1 is always the starting point of any pvp.

As I have stated in PVP forums the PVE system is what is messing up massive pvp

3 light cruisers= 1 tac ship, cruiser, one Science

So in the end if you have a 2 cruisers shooting at one cruser your at a huge disadvantage the max you could push with rare equipment is 3 vs 1 after that it just becomes a gang of ships overwhelming your limited defences. With no way to escape.

When will we see more exotic creatures in the sand boxes like the ones on Ghost Ship?
Lt. Commander
# 106 Good idea, added twist...
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Cryptic,

I think this idea is one that's should be listened to, I for one agree with this, especially if were trying to make the game more "Star Trek" realistic. However, I also have added my own twist to this general idea below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjwmartin View Post
My hope is that at some point they'll declare that "the emergency has lessened" and use that as an excuse to reduce players' thematic ranks to something more realistic. We currently have hundreds if not thousands of Rear Admirals and Vice Admirals flying around the galaxy - it's just not believable.

The numerical ranks could stay the same, no problem - and, crucially, they could use the "Lower Half / Upper Half" convention they've already introduced for Rear Admiral. (I'm hoping that that was done as a precursor to doing something like this.) It would work like this: 1-20 Lieutenant; 21-40 Lieutenant Commander; 41-60 Commander; 61-80 Captain. Each rank then gets split into Lower Half / Upper Half so as to map onto the existing numerical ranks. Higher ranks - including the intermediate rank of Commodore - should be reserved for much later in the game's life. I also think that it would help psychologically with the misperception some people have that all content is done with quickly - when you're already at the top rank possible after a few months of play, you feel that there's nowhere to go, but if you got to level 61 and you were still a Captain, you'd feel more intuitively that there was still a lot of cool content to come in later updates in which you'd be able to eventually get promoted even further.

Come on everyone - we all know that Kirk hated being an Admiral and wanted to be a Captain - we should follow his lead!

This idea is good, as it strikes the nerve of many Star Trek fans, who feel the Star Trek universe in STO is like an upside down pyramid, with way too many admirals to be believable. The question is how to remedy having too many players in high ranks creating a lost sense of reality, while allowing each player to reach their top potential for their characters, while not making players feel limited.

The above idea is a good starting point, ...but I think it is a a short-term fix for a long-term problem. Reason being, it only prologues the inevitable of everyone being an admiral...within another say 3 months, as it doubles the ranks from 10 to 20 levels. eventually, everyone will reach level 80 and all be captains, and then 80-100 Admirals?

Here's what I suggest...ranks are based on subscription length, creation date of character, as well as skill level of character.

Here's a rough idea of what it might look like.

Upon creation of a character, the character is given the title of crewman.
6 months later - Ensign (so all of us playing since Beta would be ensigns right now, as a option in the title menu)
1 year - Junior Lieutenant
18 months - Lieutenant
2 year- Sub-Commander
30 months - Commander
3 year- Captain

This title selection would be based on the date the character for the player was first created. So, if a player created another character 4 months from when s/he bought a subscription, then that new character would not progress to the new rank until 6 months later, or 10 months from subscription purchase. As well, their would be a minimal skill level required to advance to the next rank title when the time came, such as level 50 (or whatever level) for ensign. Therefore, if the character had been created for 6 months, but had not reached level 50, then the title would not be given until s/he reached level 60. The reverse is also true, if the character reached level 50 before the 6 month timeline, then the character would have to wait until 6 months elapsed.

I think this would solve title issues. However, skill and ships would remain the same. Maybe instead of having title for the levels, it would be simply levels. Every ten, as currently, you can upgrade you Bridge officer's with higher level items, and skills...always having to still be above your bridge crew in skill, to be their captain...but they could still be very skilled crewmen, or ensigns under you.

Anyways, just a thought..I'd love to hear more thoughts on this, so maybe we can present a good system to cryptic for consideration.

P.S. One other idea i had, was that the title "Admiral" would be restricted to fleet members. The title "Fleet Admiral" would only be given to the creator of a fleet, and the title "admiral" would be given to the people in head of divisions within the fleet, to a max number of say 10...I don't know, but we would not want it to be ridiculous either. This would really encourage people to be actively involved in their fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 107 Role play on a single ship
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd like to have a ship where many people can be working together on missions. A group of us is assigned to the same ship (of course this would be an option) but here is how I would like it to go:

My chief engineer works in - yup engineering. That person earns points and is promoted up through the ranks to Admiral for making all types of upgrades to our ship, meanwhile, back in sick bay, my chief med officer has found new ways to fight off a scale fungus the crew picked up during our last away mission. Nobody knew until we all had it.

On the bridge, we are chasing Klingons that have made a deal with the Ferengi and now have a weapon , if activated with crystals, that could destroy an entire world.

Our opposition is yup, you're right again, another team except they are Klingons instead of Star fleet personnel. They are trying to achieve their mission too and beat us Starfleet folks and get the weapon powered up. They too have all types of things happening on their ship too that is invisible to the Starfleet folks for which their officers get bonus points for doing.

This is the way I'd like to play STO. I have a lifetime membership and I ain't going anywhere but if the devs ever made this a side game to STO's current engines, they would make every person that loves Star Trek happy as hell. DEVS - I'm just saying, there is a complete market for that here.
Lt. Commander
# 108
08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextar

Here's a rough idea of what it might look like.

Upon creation of a character, the character is given the title of crewman.
6 months later - Ensign (so all of us playing since Beta would be ensigns right now, as a option in the title menu)
1 year - Junior Lieutenant
18 months - Lieutenant
2 year- Sub-Commander
30 months - Commander
3 year- Captain

This title selection would be based on the date the character for the player was first created. So, if a player created another character 4 months from when s/he bought a subscription, then that new character would not progress to the new rank until 6 months later, or 10 months from subscription purchase. As well, their would be a minimal skill level required to advance to the next rank title when the time came, such as level 50 (or whatever level) for ensign. Therefore, if the character had been created for 6 months, but had not reached level 50, then the title would not be given until s/he reached level 60. The reverse is also true, if the character reached level 50 before the 6 month timeline, then the character would have to wait until 6 months elapsed.
::: laughs ... sorry but I had to seriously laugh when I read this.

With no disrespect, the average player is NOT going to want to wait 3 years for one of their characters to make Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 109 Maximum Rank: Captain
08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjwmartin View Post
My hope is that at some point they'll declare that "the emergency has lessened" and use that as an excuse to reduce players' thematic ranks to something more realistic. We currently have hundreds if not thousands of Rear Admirals and Vice Admirals flying around the galaxy - it's just not believable.
Absolutely agree, Captain should have been the limit. A lesson for a future STO2 or something perhaps.
Lt. Commander
# 110 you are incorrect
08-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
::: laughs ... sorry but I had to seriously laugh when I read this.

With no disrespect, the average player is NOT going to want to wait 3 years for one of their characters to make Captain.
That statement is incorrect. The average player will actually work to get a rank to fly a ship if they are a real mmo player. The problem is that most american MMO players and some few around the world do not wish to work towards a goal. They want quick satisfaction for the least amount of time. THIS IS A MMORPG. Its main fact is to take time to learn, understand, and function in the game as if it was the real thing. it is not meant to be fast and right now. if you want that option then go play call of duty for ground and fire fox for space.

what can be done is simple. a rework of the game. They should learn from other MMO companies who reworked the game to improve its attributes. You are a captain of a ship at the rank of LT. in this game. it should stay like that.

what can be added is you going on exploration missions and not a 10 minutue run around, flash your scan flash light to find a tree. you should be studying to understand attributes you have found. the federation is still also looking for possible colony systems. the main problem is that the area of sto is still to small. the real galaxy is vast and so is star trek. it makes the galaxy become huge. Cryptic has not or does not wish to understand that fact due to its america NOW NOW NOW nature of instant gradification. they do not understand the fact that it should take time to build a ship. it should take time understand the modifying of that ship, it should take time to learn certain skills that a captain must and should develop in the feild. That is star trek in an MMORPG enviorment. what crytic has made is a run and gun quick play half ass MMO. if an MMORPG has no purpose then it as a game will die in a short time.