Lt. Commander
# 111 3 years?!
08-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextar
Cryptic,

I think this idea is one that's should be listened to, I for one agree with this, especially if were trying to make the game more "Star Trek" realistic. However, I also have added my own twist to this general idea below.
You're completely out of hand, 3 years is insane. This is a video game, not living in Starfleet. What would have made more sense would be a combined leveling system with a skill system that's a cross between what we currently have and real-time-based, item/ship specific training like EVE. That way you can't just not shower for 3 days and make top rank with max skills nor does it feel like an endless grind-fest, but you're also not plagued with "training learnings" like in EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 112 It's a game, not a career
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
That statement is incorrect. The average player will actually work to get a rank to fly a ship if they are a real mmo player. The problem is that most american MMO players and some few around the world do not wish to work towards a goal. They want quick satisfaction for the least amount of time. THIS IS A MMORPG. Its main fact is to take time to learn, understand, and function in the game as if it was the real thing. it is not meant to be fast and right now. if you want that option then go play call of duty for ground and fire fox for space.
Your America-bashing has no place in this thread. It's a game. Just because you choose to immerse yourself in STO and grind like it's some sort of full-time job doesn't mean everyone else does.

Quote:
the main problem is that the area of sto is still to small. the real galaxy is vast and so is star trek. it makes the galaxy become huge. Cryptic has not or does not wish to understand that fact due to its america NOW NOW NOW nature of instant gradification. they do not understand the fact that it should take time to build a ship. it should take time understand the modifying of that ship, it should take time to learn certain skills that a captain must and should develop in the feild. That is star trek in an MMORPG enviorment. what crytic has made is a run and gun quick play half ass MMO. if an MMORPG has no purpose then it as a game will die in a short time.
The RPG part of MMORPG isn't really STO's focus, it seems. It's clear that Cryptic's strategic direction (and where they're spending their development dollars) is to maintain a provider-subscriber relationship with "more Star Trek content" rather than really enabling players to "live" in STO 24/7.
Lt. Commander
# 113
08-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizen_Giggles View Post
Your America-bashing has no place in this thread. It's a game. Just because you choose to immerse yourself in STO and grind like it's some sort of full-time job doesn't mean everyone else does.
It has as much place in this thread as all the EU and Australia bashing that has been going on in extremely many other threads....specially in the ones regarding maintenance.

That being said.

I think that the total play time to hit the level cap in this game is 10x less than what it should had been...
The developers stated in open beta that they estimated a 80 hours gameplay to hit the cap.
I do not think that the grades should be time based as has been suggested here. If a players plays allot of missions then he should get up in ranks faster than one that does one mission a month.
Lt. Commander
# 114
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry, but the Devs have made it clear the intention of this game is fun, not a simulation. If you want a simulation see if you can buy the rights to Trek and rebuild the half-baked ideas that Perpetual had. Furthermore, you cannot suddenly disentangle the rank system from the leveling system.

I doubt anyone who is complaining about the ranks has ever played an MMO (other than maybe the original EQ) in 85% of the MMO's out there the vast majority of players are at level cap. It is just the nature of the beast. Those who enjoy the game keep playing until they run out of things to enjoy and those that don't leave. This make every game top heavy.

As for the RPG comments. In MMO"s that has never referred to actual role playing, but rather to the mechanics of progress that are used in RPG's. Role playing is your choice, right and responsibility. Currently if you want to role play an Ensign you have all the tools in the game to do so. You can pick it as a title, you can wear the rank of an Ensign and you can even command the ensign level ship if you kept it.

If for some reason the fact that other people are running around as VA's or whatever rank they choose, upsets your ability to role play, I'm sorry, but that is your own fault. I'm an avid role player and the only people that can ruin my immersion are those I choose to interact with and even then the choice was mine.
Lt. Commander
# 115
08-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I will say 3 years later we still do not have a finished product, someone did not spend enough money to do things right by the Star Trek fan, I say that with much certainty. Time management and project management were severely poor, product testing and quality control must of been nearly non existent. Genesis puts out cookie cutter missions that are extremely boring.

This title has so much potential, get a good writing team spend the money to put iconic character within STO.
3 years with this title it should be the hottest game on the market! not an epic failure/ flight simulator game.
Lt. Commander
# 116
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
I will say 3 years later we still do not have a finished product, someone did not spend enough money to do things right by the Star Trek fan, I say that with much certainty. Time management and project management were severely poor, product testing and quality control must of been nearly non existent. Genesis puts out cookie cutter missions that are extremely boring.

This title has so much potential, get a good writing team spend the money to put iconic character within STO.
3 years with this title it should be the hottest game on the market! not an epic failure/ flight simulator game.
Remember that you are not the one who defines what a "Star Trek fan is". While I have my problems with STO, I personally believe that the one things they have done right is establish a Trek feel. I define myself as a Star Trek fan, I own a number of the series on DVD as well as the movies, but I do not think that means my vision of Trek is the only one.

Is a desire for a Trek simulation a legitimate vision of Trek? Sure, but it is not a realistic desire of what the product was that Cryptic set out to make. I'm fine with that, others are not, but the cold reality is that it is never going to change from being a fun game, into a simulation.
Lt. Commander
# 117 Two cents worth...
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeaks...not trying to get us divided on this topic guys, just thought it worth consideration.

Here's just a simple thought, let's put ideas like these to the polls, and let the mass STO players decided. Seems from responses though, it's about 50/50.

As for myself, I can swing either way. I totally can get immersed playing my own game, not carrying about those around me and their rank. However, if wanting more of a community play...I think there are those of us who would be fine with a more long term title switch as well, ...knowing right now as lifetime subscribers we will still be here 3, 5, or 10 years down the road ...so long as STO is still around.
Lt. Commander
# 118
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm all about Trek, but I'm all about instant gratification too. For instance, I really would like to se. . . Ooh look! Something shiny!
Lt. Commander
# 119
08-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm all about Trek, but I'm all about instant gratification too. For instance, I really would like to se. . . Ooh look! Something shiny!
Lt. Commander
# 120
08-12-2010, 05:48 PM
stupid double post make Stagemonkey mad!