Lt. Commander
# 121 Scientific Data
08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Welcome to the latest installment of Ask Cryptic, where we put your questions to the devs. This edition Star Trek Online's Executive Producer, Dan Stahl, answers questions about UGC, Bridge Officer VO, and the future of Star Trek Online.

Read more here!

Thanks,

Stormshade
I traded a lot of data to Romaine at Memory Alpha before I learned the R&D, which I still haven't entirely figured out, is this data gone, I played for months and brought it all back to her. Thinking it would benefit me one day. I never saw the "flashing consoles" before a few months ago.

Thanks for quick answer to previous question!
Lt. Commander
# 122
08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Remember that you are not the one who defines what a "Star Trek fan is". While I have my problems with STO, I personally believe that the one things they have done right is establish a Trek feel. I define myself as a Star Trek fan, I own a number of the series on DVD as well as the movies, but I do not think that means my vision of Trek is the only one.

Is a desire for a Trek simulation a legitimate vision of Trek? Sure, but it is not a realistic desire of what the product was that Cryptic set out to make. I'm fine with that, others are not, but the cold reality is that it is never going to change from being a fun game, into a simulation.
I am not the only one, this correct , but I am the one.
Lt. Commander
# 123
08-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Now gentlemen, can't we all just get along?
Lt. Commander
# 124 Klingon faction
08-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Ok this is just a simple request and an opion/observation.
Why does Cryptic care so little for those people playing the Klingon Faction and their requests and complaints?
I only play this game as Klingon. Evey tme the feddies complain of something Cryptic helps them out. They are offered more Accolades, more ships, more capabilities, etc. The list goes on.
Lt. Commander
# 125 yes Im late in posting...
08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
but I have to say, I posted in the forums and bumped my topic a few times on a issue I think is rather key, and it was brought up in this Q & A and Basically it says These are the things wrong with the tutorial, and how an easy fix would work and why its important, if you are tryn to sell the game at least give them a finished product to tour around in the game...I give out keys, people can get demos and they see what...a rough intro to the game...if I wasnt a star trek fanatic and be patient and willing to wait for the game to be better (I got the lifetime sub so I can not play and not worry Im wasting my money, and play when I want) I wouldnt have got the game.

Yes I know you cant have people looking at everything that gets in the forums, but sometimes its discouraging when all the comments I see from the devs are dealing with stupid people and locking threads and such...

Like I said, the nice thing about the lifetime membership, I can just walk away from the game and come back in several months and go wow look at all the improvements, instead of sayn man I posted a much better suggestion and look what happened...take for example the emotes topic in the gen. feedback, great stuff in there, I hope 1/2 of the ideas get in there, people put some great stuff in there, there are gems in the forums if the devs or who ever look....I really hope they dont see this post as a major bash (and I hope they do see it)
Lt. Commander
# 126 real-time lvling
08-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextar
Cryptic,

Upon creation of a character, the character is given the title of crewman.
6 months later - Ensign (so all of us playing since Beta would be ensigns right now, as a option in the title menu)
1 year - Junior Lieutenant
18 months - Lieutenant
2 year- Sub-Commander
30 months - Commander
3 year- Captain

This title selection would be based on the date the character for the player was first created. So, if a player created another character 4 months from when s/he bought a subscription, then that new character would not progress to the new rank until 6 months later, or 10 months from subscription purchase. As well, their would be a minimal skill level required to advance to the next rank title when the time came, such as level 50 (or whatever level) for enhefore the 6 month timeline, then the character would have to wait until 6 months elapsed.

I think this would solve title issues. However, skill and ships would remain the same. Maybe instead of having title for the levels, it would be simply levels. Every ten, as currently, you can upgrade you Bridge officer's with higher level items, and skills...always having to still be above your bridge crew in skill, to be their captain...but they could still be very skilled crewmen, or ensigns under you.
I think it is an interesting idea to include real-time into the game. But maybe the timing shouldn't be "time subscribed". I think the character should have an age, then if the person unsubscribes as a crewman and returns a year later, they would be theoretically "promoted" but not until the reach the lvl cap.
hmmmmmmmm....interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post

I think that the total play time to hit the level cap in this game is 10x less than what it should had been...
The developers stated in open beta that they estimated a 80 hours gameplay to hit the cap.
I do not think that the grades should be time based as has been suggested here. If a players plays allot of missions then he should get up in ranks faster than one that does one mission a month.
I also believe that the time to reach the lvl cap is to fast.
So, including some type of real-time factor in ranking would be useful in encouraging proper promotions.

Although, it does seem putting this limit would anger many people. So, maybe they can just change the title and continue the ranks 1 to [lvl cap].

By this, I mean, I can be an Ensign that played for 8 months (using the suggested ranking by Alextar), but I can also be lvl 33 (up to cap) and have the skills of a Lt. Cmndr.
(33 is Lt. Cmndr right? Meh, don't care enough to find out.)

Well you get the idea. So people would be running around with Vice Admiral skills (because the have the experience and knowledge of one) but still be only officially recognized as a Ensign.

But meh. Just my trying to build on something rather than shout "ur crazy!" and "that'll neva happan cuz i sad so!"

It would at least alleviate the unlikeliness of having hundreds of Vice Admirals running around in the Trek universe.
Lt. Commander
# 127 Ask Cryptic
08-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Will Cryptic add any new federation ship classes such as: Ambassador class, soyuz class, and Steamrunner class vessels in the near future?

Also will there be the opportunity of exploring all parts of our ships like: Engineering, Sickbay, holodeck etc? I would think that exploring our own ships and seeing the crew at work would bring a great experience and add value to the Star Trek experience that you're trying to provide to fans.

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 128
08-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralKirk1701
Will Cryptic add any new federation ship classes such as: Ambassador class, soyuz class, and Steamrunner class vessels in the near future?

Also will there be the opportunity of exploring all parts of our ships like: Engineering, Sickbay, holodeck etc? I would think that exploring our own ships and seeing the crew at work would bring a great experience and add value to the Star Trek experience that you're trying to provide to fans.

Thank you
You can go and explore Engineering and Sickbay right now, but there isn't much to do there.

To get there you need to go to your bridge and then find the exit where the turbo lift is and go to the correct deck,
Lt. Commander
# 129
08-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
That statement is incorrect. The average player will actually work to get a rank to fly a ship if they are a real mmo player. The problem is that most american MMO players and some few around the world do not wish to work towards a goal. They want quick satisfaction for the least amount of time. THIS IS A MMORPG. Its main fact is to take time to learn, understand, and function in the game as if it was the real thing. it is not meant to be fast and right now. if you want that option then go play call of duty for ground and fire fox for space.
We do not mind working within the game, learning it and having to reach longer range goals ... but not three years to get there ... no way.

1) Many of us have family, friends and lives.

2) There is life outside the game.

3) In three years ... the entire scope of the gaming industry, internet and computer technology will have changed to the point that what is built today will NOT be what you are playing then.

4) As an MMO...and MMO is larger than RPG in this case, we want to be able to get to points where we can interact with other players and concentrate on FLEET and GROUP activities.

Toss in that fleets have different ranks of their own which have no bearing on what you see in the game ... whether those ranks are loose or not.

If you are a serious RPGer and want something from that standpoint, then set your fleet up or join one where you have ranks set (within fleet) to a point where you have to do as you say to get upwards in rank.

But what you propose will NOT happen in game.

Look at the industry and look at other MMOs.

This is not play-by-email role-play / interactive fictional writing ,,,, of which I personally clawed my way up the ranks, got my own command and became a fleet admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 130
08-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralKirk1701
My guess would be ... not in the next few months.

Currently ... and as it should be ... they are turning their attention to the Klingon faction and the races of that faction to give more ship options there.

The upswing is that the more they develop that faction, the more players will want to play that faction and the better the overall game will become.