Lt. Commander
# 31
08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Welcome to the latest installment of Ask Cryptic, where we put your questions to the devs. This edition Star Trek Online's Executive Producer, Dan Stahl, answers questions about UGC, Bridge Officer VO, and the future of Star Trek Online.

Read more here!

Thanks,

Stormshade
A lot of soon and being worked on and stuff in those answers, but overall I like it. I just really hope some of this stuff pans out and doesn't just sit on a back-burner for months/years
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-09-2010, 05:15 PM
This is really great news. I'm looking forward to it!
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Just need to get this one off my chest but... Klingons might actually have scientists, you know? Just because they like to fight, doesn't mean they will prefer going out stealing things over actually scanning down the resources within their own borders.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
This post was full of win and I am very excited about the direction teh game is headed.

High points for me...

1) Ship interior creation/desgining and fleet craftable starbases
2) More functionality for interiors
3) When hailing another ship, it should appear oj your view screen on your bridge..
4) Revamp of sector space, hopefully ot iinclude more emphasis on your ships bridge and consoles while traveliing and taking missions. The bridge, the transporter room, a shuttle bay...these chould be CRUCIAL and EMPHASIZED thorughout the game, loaded with functonality and "minigames" that impact space combat, away teams, etc.
5) The UGC could be a huge massive win, as long as it IS NOT a skeletal system. It really needs to deliver some satisfyingexperiences, NOT amalgamating individual, repititious tasks we have all done a thousand times before....the way NOT to do one of these is the way the "Chronicles" system was done in Star Wars Galaxies. That was full of fail.

Ok, I liked just about ever thing I read, but these are teh highlights, keep going guys. And fix those pvp queues...lol
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
Just need to get this one off my chest but... Klingons might actually have scientists, you know? Just because they like to fight, doesn't mean they will prefer going out stealing things over actually scanning down the resources within their own borders.
Yeah I noticed that too. It bothers me since the two things honorable Klingons are not are thieves and traitors.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I want to say three things. First, I applaud Cryptic for their desire in staying true to Trek. I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say that if this game does too many things that break canon (and let's be honest, it's already bent/broken several things already), it would lose 90% of its appeal. So it's awesome to hear that the team wants to commit to staying within those guidelines and deliver tons of new content at the same time.

Second, I'm also glad to hear that they at least recognize the potential for roleplay in this game. Personally, I think players should never have been allowed to be promoted past captain in the first place, so it would be awesome to see an RP rank system in the game, where players who wish to demote themselves keep their levels, skills, and abilities, but are considered whatever rank they wish so long as they have already earned it. A current Vice Admiral 1 could be considered a Captain 21 or something.

Finally, I feel I need to say that I am vehemently against frequent bridge officer voice over in this game. If you want to do it only for common expressions or greetings, that's fine, but trying to create voice over for everything a bridge officer will say is a horrible idea. Here's why: any RPG that has full VO becomes very, very limited in terms of dialogue because it's expensive to record actors repeating their lines for all the possible choices a player might make over the course of a game - and that's just for a single player RPG where you might have a few constants such as the story and the character's background. Trying to do that with an MMOG where players can do pretty much anything they want? That's just sheer lunacy. If you try to add VO to a live game like this, it will lose any semblance of the personal touch it has now. NPCs won't refer to players by their name or rank as they do now - nor will they refer to our ships by name either. This will, not may, but will lead to awkward sounding dialogue for a system that works better as is. So please, Cryptic, abandon VO completely. It will do nothing but cost you a bunch of money, hurt the game and ruin immersion.
Lt. Commander
Thank you for answering my question in regards to the possibility of the future implementation of VOIP technology in STO. I'm very please to here that you recognise the need to revisit and update the ways in which players can communicate to each other 1:1, and I can't wait to see my feelow Captains on their bridges when I do open hailing frequencies. Although I do hope that some day you may reconsider the possibility of adding VOIP technology as well as directional audio, mentioned previously by Enterprise-D.

I enjoyed reading all of the questions and answers; I'm looking forward to all that was mentioned, thank you again and great work.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Thank you for answering my question in regards to the possibility of the future implementation of VOIP technology in STO. I'm very please to here that you recognise the need to revisit and update the ways in which players can communicate to each other 1:1, and I can't wait to see my feelow Captains on their bridges when I do open hailing frequencies. Although I do hope that some day you may reconsider the possibility of adding VOIP technology as well as directional audio, mentioned previously by Enterprise-D.

I enjoyed reading all of the questions and answers; I'm looking forward to all that was mentioned, thank you again and great work.
I did some more research on the directional sound in Mumble and came across this:
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Games

STO is listed as a game that already supports directional sound.
I will need to test this next week when I get home so see if it's really working. I hope it does
Lt. Commander
# 39 Renaming levels
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
My question is why don't you rename the levels to where you go from Captain 30-39, then Admiral 40-49, Rear Admiral 50-59, then Vice Admiral 60-69, so you have room to expand levels upward??
Lt. Commander
# 40 Great Job
08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Dan Stahl is doing an outstanding job as the new EP on this game! He sounds like he really understands what we want and naturally expect out of this game as MMO'ers and Trek fans. Lot's of unanswered questions were answered in this edition, or at least we have more of a "warm fuzzy" about our questions. Great job Dev's and Mr. Stahl, Keep it up!