Lt. Commander
# 41
08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Q: Armsman: How is the work on re-tooling the 'ship interior' mini-games?

A: We really enjoyed working on developing the scanner mini-game and Dabo and want to incorporate more designs like these into our missions and gameplay. Multiplayer Poker is still in the works to be added to the player ship interior lounges. We are also working on the concepts for a “Tricorder” type of mini-game that could be used in missions for multiple functions. So we expect to see more mini-games work their way to the game over time.
---------------------------------

You missed the question as I see it, more specifically, when can we see the INJURY mini-game in our Ship Interiors??

Ship Interior mini-games was the question. I find it annoying to fly all the way back to Starbase to heal injuries when I have a Sickbay. I recall seeing people vote for more Function as a priority in ship interiors, currently there are trophies, and nothing else.
Lt. Commander
# 42
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorby
Q: Armsman: How is the work on re-tooling the 'ship interior' mini-games?

A: We really enjoyed working on developing the scanner mini-game and Dabo and want to incorporate more designs like these into our missions and gameplay. Multiplayer Poker is still in the works to be added to the player ship interior lounges. We are also working on the concepts for a “Tricorder” type of mini-game that could be used in missions for multiple functions. So we expect to see more mini-games work their way to the game over time.
---------------------------------

You missed the question as I see it, more specifically, when can we see the INJURY mini-game in our Ship Interiors??

Ship Interior mini-games was the question. I find it annoying to fly all the way back to Starbase to heal injuries when I have a Sickbay. I recall seeing people vote for more Function as a priority in ship interiors, currently there are trophies, and nothing else.
You can heal Injuries with Components/Regenerators. No need to fly all the way back to a starbase.

They bought the rights to all of ThomasTheCat's minigame designs, so I'm certain we'll see them.
Lt. Commander
# 43
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I guess that I have to keep asking my questions in annoying bold print typeface until someone breaks down and answer them.
Lt. Commander
# 44 DStahl FTW!
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I absolutely love, love, LOVE the game philosophy of Daniel Stahl and the exciting direction in which STO is now headed!

Prior to launch, one of the former EP's (who shall remain nameless,) infamously and publicly stated that some of us "just don't get it." I am here to say that DStahl does, indeed, "get it," and then some.

It would seem the original design philosophy of STO (judging primarily by the product at launch) was intended to be a more casual, easy-to-learn game that would appeal to a very large, broad group of gamers, and was not particularly focused on any particular segment of the gaming community. In hindsight, this was an enormous, almost unthinkable mistake, because in doing so, Cryptari managed to nearly alienate (no pun intended) what should have been its target audience all along: the massive droves of loyal Star Trek fans.

Are there enough Star Trek fans, who are also gamers, to seriously challenge a game like WoW for subscribers? Pretty unlikely, but there ARE enough Star Trek gamers to easily support and maintain a challenging, engaging, "deep" and persistent Star Trek MMO.

If any product - whether movie, book, game, etc., - doesn't "feel" enough like Star Trek, it simply isn't going to make it among enough of the fanbase to remain sustainable. Even a cursory review of the history of "Enterprise" reveals this fact with stunning clarity, as the shortest-lived Star Trek series since TOS itself. You can't take something, add phasers and warp drive, and just call it Trek. It has to be Trek for it to be accepted as Trek. Is there a quantifiable formula as to what is and isn't Star Trek? No, thankfully this is something that remains the domain of the heart. Initiallly, I think the "Great Bird of the Galaxy" may have been spinning in his grave; these days, I think he may be able to rest once again, or at least know that he will soon be able to, his labor of love once again in the hands of those who "get it." The fact that CBS now holds the rights to his IP is enough of an icy dagger to his heart without adding another subpar Trek game to the legacy.

Almost from the moment (I kid you not) of the announcement of DStahl taking the captain's chair, STO has begun to feel more like Star Trek, and it continues to do so every with every passing day.

Thank you, Dan, for "getting it." Live long, and prosper... Promise!
Lt. Commander
# 45 your late
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
they where posted in both ask cryptic threads and ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 46 Great
08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
The new head manager rocks !!
Lt. Commander
# 47
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
It's great that Cryptic is at a point that they're comfortable talking about these changes. I get excited when i see transparency in development (like, say, Chris Taylor's development vlog)

Looks like dstahl is taking the strong direction Zinc had and going forward in bold new directions.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryxx View Post
I absolutely love, love, LOVE the game philosophy of Daniel Stahl and the exciting direction in which STO is now headed!

Prior to launch, one of the former EP's (who shall remain nameless,) infamously and publicly stated that some of us "just don't get it." I am here to say that DStahl does, indeed, "get it," and then some.
Not trying to threadcrap but I thought this Q&A wasn't worthy of the praise being heaped on it. In particular I'm still concerned that I don't see a coherent vision for this game, his answer was basically "I want it to feel like Star Trek" which doesn't set any direction at all.

In particular, the non-answer to the roleplay question was a huge red flag for me. It is very telling that they're not focused on enabling us to do our own thing, the model appears to be for the developers to drill out as many missions as they can. But the fundamental problem with that is that they can never keep up for two reasons:

1) Many folks are grinding up as fast as they can and are hitting the skill cap. Even the Klingons with their astounding lack of content are grinding up to BG, and now some are asking if they can get the mission rewards retroactively So this essentially means they're coding more and more for the endgame - well that doesn't make sense because folks don't need and can't have any more skill points. Assuming they bump the level cap again, we're already at Vice Admiral and there's only 1 more rank according to the US Navy rank chart.

2) It will always take exponentially more time for the developers to design, build, test, and release these missions than it will for the players to play them. Even at a once-a-week development cycle (and this interview plus the current state of play in-game demonstrates they're nowhere near that from a QA perspective) this just won't pass muster. For a real-world analogy, see how single-source encyclopedias like Encarta withered and absolutely died in the face of the mighty Wikipedia, scandal-tinged as the latter is.

I guess what I'm saying is this interview promised new features and "content" but it mostly served to highlight that there may be no long-term life to this game.
Lt. Commander
# 49
08-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Chairs are apparently Cryptics nemesis~
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
I personally cannot stand the idea of my BO becoming his own Captain. Seriously, if I want to replay all that content again, I just roll an Alt, and it can be my BO. Developing a mechanic for turning him into a Captain would only be worthwhile if they had new original content for the BO that started at Commander rather than having to demote the BO and replay all the old content.

BTW whatever happened to the idea of bringing in a New faction? If you want me to roll an Alt to keep me busy with no new content at least give me some new toys to play with, like a Rommie ship.
I totally agree. It seems like a waste of cryptic resources unless all the things you said apply.
Unless there's a person out there that just CAN'T wait for a race to come out, then they find a BO then play them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizen_Giggles View Post

1) Many folks are grinding up as fast as they can and are hitting the skill cap. Even the Klingons with their astounding lack of content are grinding up to BG, and now some are asking if they can get the mission rewards retroactively So this essentially means they're coding more and more for the endgame - well that doesn't make sense because folks don't need and can't have any more skill points. Assuming they bump the level cap again, we're already at Vice Admiral and there's only 1 more rank according to the US Navy rank chart.
I don't know why, but I always felt that the skill tree was a "beginning." And the ranks would be renamed and properly defined so that it would encompass those new tiers.
But I think that's it.
After getting to Admiral, the skills and ranks will finish and there will ONLY be endgame content. The content will be HUGE, no doubt.
I've heard there are a lot of strange things going on in Tribble. So, I hope I'm wrong anyway...