Lt. Commander
# 51
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
Logically, if you promote a Bridge Officer to "Captain", and make him/her an "alt" character, should he/she not also automatically be at said rank then? I.e Captain 1 (Rank/Grade).

Some interesting answers in that Q&A. I hope to see a much more polished version of STO in the Season 3 patch, as I'm assuming my posting privileges will be revoked shortly due to the "welcome back access". While I found Season 2 enjoyable, I've already done all the new Undine content, and still 2 grades short of Vice Admiralty. Reason I shut down my subscription in the first place, was due to a distinct lack of content back in Season 1. I really don't want to have to grind exploration or "defend the sector" content to get to max rank, and i've never been much of a pvp'er.

I'm guessing the "big secret project" will be related to whatever is planned for the Season 4 update which likely is scheduled for release sometime around Feb 2011 (12 month since STO went live).
You know what would work though, my idea on the rank system to get more time in as Captain (after all we should be Captain for quite some time) without having anyone demoted...

Level Rank
01-03 Ensign
04-07* Lieutenant, Junior Grade (used for when LT is made, but the tutorial isn't turned into Quinn yet)
05-10 Lieutenant (at lvl 8, or after lvl 5 and talking to Quinn)
11-15 Lieutenant Commander
16-20 Commander
21-40 Captain
41-45 Rear Admiral, Lower Half
46-50 Rear Admiral, Upper Half
51-55 Vice Admiral
56-60 Admiral
61+ Fleet Admiral*

* - request no skill cap at Fleet Admiral, please

NOTE: This structure would NOT change the current equipment/ship Tier structure, just where you get the ranks, again mostly to allow longer play at Captain rank. This would also allow new promoted bridge officers to start at level 21 instead of 31, so we get more leveling time (I really hate to miss more opportunity to have meaningful playtime with my toons).
Lt. Commander
# 52
08-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I know quite a few people complain about how STO should not have been released early, and that they feel ripped off for having to pay retail subcriptions prices to play this "beta", but I see it from a different angle.

First of all we get to see exactly how much time and effort the guys at cryptic are putting into this game, in the last 6 months we have see so many changes and they are still telling us more is to come!
Also we get to tell cryptic what we want, and they have been slowly adding the most popular requests.
And with use generated content hopefully coming in season 3, it'll help speed up things.

So really some of us are actually helping to shape the game to what we as star trek fans want and expect. Now how many people can say they helped to develop the MMO they play?! It may not be gold pressed latinum yet () but it looks like it will gradually get there.
Lt. Commander
# 53
08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Welcome to the latest installment of Ask Cryptic, where we put your questions to the devs. This edition Star Trek Online's Executive Producer, Dan Stahl, answers questions about UGC, Bridge Officer VO, and the future of Star Trek Online.

Read more here!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Thanks StormShade and DStahl.
Lt. Commander
# 54
08-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Lots of questions answered here, definitely approve! I'm glad to see that the focus is on the Star Trek aspect rather than on the MMO aspect: most of us are here because we're Trekkies, after all.

And I am very supportive of the new approach of getting the work done well rather than quickly. I understand why you wanted to rush to market etc, but now you've got the base game down just take your time and make sure that it's all right.

Good work and thank you for keeping us up-to-date!
Lt. Commander
# 55
08-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
I had a question regarding Klingon-only episodes and apparently it wasn't important enough to give even a brief cryptic response. ARE there any plans to flesh out the Klingon campaign or are we stuck...AGAIN...with a little of this and a little of that and a whole LOT of PvP? I want to play a Klingon, but I don't like the current PvP system (nor am I particularly good at it). There is little reason for me to play anything other than a Feddie at this point. Seriously, it makes me feel like you don't care at all about that faction and want to bury it where nobody will look.
Jack, the Klingons were always promoted as being the PvP faction. The team never claimed that the Klingons would be a fully-fledged faction along the lines of the Federation. It's a Star Trek game, not a "Klingon Trek" game.

Despite this, in response to player demand they've created six new PvE missions for the Klingons already, and there are DSEs and Explore missions. The Klingon PvE missions that I've played so far have been excellent. We know that there is more on the way, when it's ready.

Why are you complaining? Give them a bit of credit for a job well done.
Lt. Commander
# 56
08-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Q: XA_DeadHorse: When is cryptic going to budget time to polish up some of the game aspects, clean it up and make it feel more like a finished game?

A: Recognizing the issues we’ve had in the last six months with shipping features that aren’t entirely complete or have bugs in them, our entire philosophy for Season 3 is to polish up the game and start addressing existing issues before creating a bunch of new things that will add to the problem. We aren’t giving the team a deadline – and instead we are saying things like improve Sector Space, improve Ground Combat, improve mission variety, improve Exploration without a definite due date. We want the team focused on quality and making it right. When we are happy with how those features are shaping up, we’ll put them on the Test Server and work with you to iterate on the designs. If this means that some features stay on Tribble for months without going to Holodeck – so be it. We are committed to making the game feel more “finished”.
Hot damn! No more rushed half-assed releases! Git r dun right boys!
Lt. Commander
# 57
08-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalusOmega
Second, I'm also glad to hear that they at least recognize the potential for roleplay in this game. Personally, I think players should never have been allowed to be promoted past captain in the first place, so it would be awesome to see an RP rank system in the game, where players who wish to demote themselves keep their levels, skills, and abilities, but are considered whatever rank they wish so long as they have already earned it. A current Vice Admiral 1 could be considered a Captain 21 or something.
My hope is that at some point they'll declare that "the emergency has lessened" and use that as an excuse to reduce players' thematic ranks to something more realistic. We currently have hundreds if not thousands of Rear Admirals and Vice Admirals flying around the galaxy - it's just not believable.

The numerical ranks could stay the same, no problem - and, crucially, they could use the "Lower Half / Upper Half" convention they've already introduced for Rear Admiral. (I'm hoping that that was done as a precursor to doing something like this.) It would work like this: 1-20 Lieutenant; 21-40 Lieutenant Commander; 41-60 Commander; 61-80 Captain. Each rank then gets split into Lower Half / Upper Half so as to map onto the existing numerical ranks. Higher ranks - including the intermediate rank of Commodore - should be reserved for much later in the game's life. I also think that it would help psychologically with the misperception some people have that all content is done with quickly - when you're already at the top rank possible after a few months of play, you feel that there's nowhere to go, but if you got to level 61 and you were still a Captain, you'd feel more intuitively that there was still a lot of cool content to come in later updates in which you'd be able to eventually get promoted even further.

Come on everyone - we all know that Kirk hated being an Admiral and wanted to be a Captain - we should follow his lead!
Lt. Commander
# 58
08-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
BTW whatever happened to the idea of bringing in a New faction? If you want me to roll an Alt to keep me busy with no new content at least give me some new toys to play with, like a Rommie ship.

It's been said that they are holding off on releasing any new factions until they can better flesh out the Klingon Faction to a more even keel to what the Feds have.

I really want the Romulan Faction... have been pining for it since I was approved for close beta, long, long ago... but I completely agree that the KDF needs to be "completed" first.

Saith
Lt. Commander
# 59
08-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Great, lots of new features that I'd have thought Cryptic weren't even considering are now being discussed!
Lt. Commander
# 60
08-10-2010, 04:55 AM
will we see player starbases get implemented at about season4?