Lt. Commander
Ok, I'm fairly new to the holo-emitters. I just installed one and haven't had the chance to use it in combat yet. My understanding is this: The holo-emitter is a one-time use only device, it last 15 minutes (roughly one large space battle mission) and then its back to the Dabo table to build up enough currency to get a new one.

I like the concept, but I think the devs should really change the name and background of these devices.

First off, having a fully functional, fully combat worthy holographic ship seems a little rediculous to me. The ONLY time we ever saw soemthing like that used was in one of the Voyager episodes (Basics) and even then those holo-ships were merely there to confuse enemy ship commanders into not shooting at Voyager. They were NOT combat capable, in fact they were just optical illusions.

My proposal: Keep everything in-game as is, in terms of functionality, but instead of purchasing a holo-emitter that creates a holographic ship, why not talk to the bartender at Quarks or some other space station and through him, hire the services of a mercenary ship for the cost of some latinum? For the cost of 40,000 bars of latinum, some Cardassian or Ferengi skipper will warp in at your command and assist you with your battle, after which they depart...until you hire them again. That makes a lot more sense then having a holoemitter that fries out after one use. Holographic ships, in my opnion, just seem too far-fetched and (yes, I will say it) unrealistic, even for Star Trek.

I grant you, holograms are cool, but towards the end of Voyager they really went hologram-crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2010, 08:44 PM
The latinum-bought holo-emitter does not create a holographic ship that'll help you out. It'll make you look like something else. Nothing about your stats, defenses or weapons output changes in the slightest. So the phaser beams lancing out of the space-ravioli will be a big clue that it's you, not an actual whatsitcalled that took a wrong turn at the swimming pool.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Oops
08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Wow...if that's the case, then that officially makes it the most uselss item imaginable. As I said, I've equipped it, but haven't used it yet. Based on the number of times those stupid Keldon-class ships have put out "photonic Galor-class's" I thought that's what the holo-emitters were supposed to do for you.

Even if I'm mistaken about how the holo-emitters work, it would still be a nice feature to be able to hire a merc ship to assist on a particularly difficult mission. And I would love to see those "photonic order" Galor-class ships nixed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-09-2010, 11:08 PM
This hireable merc ship would be considerd a nerv of the scince class ships because of their photonic fleet. Yes your science officer friend can call these photonic ships like the galor.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_jameron View Post
This hireable merc ship would be considerd a nerv of the scince class ships because of their photonic fleet. Yes your science officer friend can call these photonic ships like the galor.

So to make sure I am understanding this, the primary character has to be a science officer? It's not an ability you can get just using a science ship?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Nesbin
So to make sure I am understanding this, the primary character has to be a science officer? It's not an ability you can get just using a science ship?
That's correct, it's a Science ability that you get at Captain 8 IIRC. They aren't overly powerful in pvE though, they help but a single warp core breach and they'll pop. They also disappear after you drop from Red Alert but the torpedoes they use can be a big help, especially if you use an energy drain (specifically Shield power) Sci ship in solo PvE.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
That's correct, it's a Science ability that you get at Captain 8 IIRC. They aren't overly powerful in pvE though, they help but a single warp core breach and they'll pop. They also disappear after you drop from Red Alert but the torpedoes they use can be a big help, especially if you use an energy drain (specifically Shield power) Sci ship in solo PvE.
Also, I am pretty certain that they are affected by certain skills and consoles, which can make them much more powerful.

You can also heal them. The whole concept is a little screwy since Photonic ships would not do damage, but I guess you can just think of the extra damage as the extra damage the enemy takes due to confusion.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
Also, I am pretty certain that they are affected by certain skills and consoles, which can make them much more powerful.

You can also heal them. The whole concept is a little screwy since Photonic ships would not do damage, but I guess you can just think of the extra damage as the extra damage the enemy takes due to confusion.
I'm not entirely certain they are any more. They used to be but there are very few Captain skills that are now affected by your spec so I'd be surprised if they are now. IIRC only Sensor Scan is currently buffed by Sensors and even then not the DR debuff, just stealth sight/ cloak detection.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
powerful as in survivable or more damage. the skill that used to help them was photonic theory (gone)
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
powerful as in survivable or more damage. the skill that used to help them was photonic theory (gone)
Photonic Fleet III:

1 Starship Electro-Plasma Systems
2 Starship Hull Repair
3 Starship Flow Capacitors
4 Starship Shield Emitters
5 Starship Particle Generators
6 Starship sensors.

My guess is that these make the photonic fleet have more HP and/or survivability.

However, I cannot confirm what the actual effect is. I am however maxed-out on all those systems and my holoships seem to be able to stay in the fight for a good long while.