As for the name, I think the PvP community needs a "stragetizing" or "advice" channel, and PewPew is a good name for that tbh. So I'd say make a PewPew channel, and let it be for people to discuss PvP, the rock paper scissors elements (i.e. measure/countermeasure stuff), and in general discuss PvP.
In my mind, you should probably have 3 channels:
1. General PvP discussion (PewPew or GeneralPvP)
2. Premade match organizing (PremadePvP or OPvP, or PvPClub)
3. LFPvP (a place for folks to advertise they're available to PUG or fill on incomplete teams)
As for the rules, a few comments:
1. No flaming/trolling/bragging/trash talking/ egging on.. etc.
3. Stay on topic. Yeah, the channel would need some moderation to keep it productive
2. Tight member count. Restricted to leaders of fleets(who will have admin powers), and their top ten (or most interested) players. Agreed, maybe restrict it to 3-5 per fleet tops (i.e. a premade team)
4. FvK only. This one I disagree with, I think all should be allowed given the new queue system allows cross-faction challenges, and FvF is still fairly popular.
5. For Space combat only. I don't see the harm in ground being discussed, especially given how little discussion there is currently on ground matches in the other channels.
6. Arena Only. (cracked planet, solar wind, briar patch) Agreed
7. Maximum level only. This one I disagree with. While levelling up my Klingon, I had a hell of a time finding PvP matches, so being able to advertise that we want folks in a tier to fight would be nice. Also, the new queue system allows cross-tier combat challenges so bear that in mind as well
8. Ventrilo capable players only. Yeah and no. I think we should prefer folks use vent, but if they don't have a mike they should still be allowed to play as long as they log in and use "listen only" mode for organization. But if they have no mike I wouldn't ban them.
9. No quitters. Yeah, if the folks are proven to be quitters (i.e. didn't drop due to lag, etc) then boot them from the channel
10. Dont talk about OPVP. Yeah, the "dude we just spanked <insert fleet here>" gets annoying after a while.
Let it be known that a new era will soon be upon us. The era of the challenge match. This alleviates some of the stresses associated with finding premade/organized games. We shall see how it all unfolds but I still believe there will be a place for an OPVP or PewPew channel, in addition to those already existing OrganizedPVP and PremadePVP. Check out the changes on tribble for yourself, I for one, am impressed.
So which fed team wants me to be the first to fly in with them as a klink + fed ally. With the challenge, this is possible, and so much more. <S>