Lt. Commander
I understand that we will probably go through several changes and updates to the ship interiors before all is said and done. When these updates come I hope cryptic looks at the following;

The number of npc's currently walking the passage ways(p-ways) is way out of porportion to what would be a more realistic number.

My reasoning:
I served aboard the USS Independence CV62 in the United States Navy in the mid 90's. For those who do not know this ship, it was a Forrestal Class conventional (non-nuke) aircraft carrier which has since been decommissioned. Her complement was approximately 4000+ sailors with ships company and air wing onboard. Thats roughly 4 times the amount of people the Galaxy Class star ships in Star Trek Online statistically show.

When walking the passage ways of an aircraft carrier you would probably see maybe 20-30 people from any point "A" to point "B". Why you may ask? Well because everyone would be working in their spaces. Traveling the passage ways was not done as a leisure activity, but more of a means of getting to one place or another. Also, while I'm getting a bit technical, p-ways that intersected the captains and admirals quarters were designated with blue tile. This blue tile was restricted to all personel unless they had specific business in these passageways.

I counted 27 people from the turbo lift to the captains quarters on a medium layout. I have to run around several groups of people to get anywhere on the ship. If you watch any star trek movie or episode - look closely at the number of people you see in the p-ways. I bet you would be hard pressed to see more than a dozen in any given scene (short of episodes that perhaps involving evacuations or movement of large groups of people for the storyline).

This is not a demand. Nor is it a complaint. Its merely a suggestion that cryptic look at this when time permits to reevaluate the ships interiors. Its going to be all the little things that add up to give us a more connected feel to the Star Trek we all know and love.

Val
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
You're right and I tottaly agree with you, then again cryptic has perception problems.... flooding hallways with npc, giant hallways, giant bridges, etc.....

Also sorry for thinking you were a serious nut case with a need for real professional psychiatric help when I read this part, even my mouth droped since so far you sounded extremly mature and serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
I served aboard the USS Independence

Rofl thought you were a crazie thinking you actually served in a Star Trek starship. I'm so sorry but after I continued to read this:
Quote:
CV62 in the United States Navy in the mid 90's
I just had to smile and continue reading
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_luck_pee-kard
You're right and I tottaly agree with you, then again cryptic has perception problems.... flooding hallways with npc, giant hallways, giant bridges, etc.....

Also sorry for thinking you were a serious nut case with a need for real professional psychiatric help when I read this part, even my mouth droped since so far you sounded extremly mature and serious.

Rofl thought you were a crazie thinking you actually served in a Star Trek starship. I'm so sorry but after I continued to read this:

I just had to smile and continue reading
rofl

Ya, the game needs a lot of work. I was disappointed with a lot of things when I was in BETA and hoped most of it would be cleaned up be the first month of release. It didn't happen; so, I waited several months before I tried the game again. I will say, I see some improvements; but, the game still has a long way to go before it's complete by my standards.

I remember when I first saw the ship bridges, I couldn't stop laughing at how HUGE the bridges were. Now when I come back and see the interiors, the hallways, quarters etc, it's like something from a comedy. The enormous hallways take up almost the entire interior of the ship, it's basically a big metal bubble in space with a bunch of mindless drones walking aimlessly back and forth like zombies. It's actually a little creepy to watch them for a little while.

My ship has been invaded by zombies, quick get Woody Harrelson!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
It seems that the just took the code they had for generating NPC's on the star bases and added it to the ship interiors. a station would have considerably more people roaming the halls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_luck_pee-kard
the size of the bridge, halls, etc are to allow space for the "camera" which is your screen to have room to move around your character. normal sized interiors don't leave room for this, and you end up with graphics problems as players end up looking through walls and what not while trying to view their character... this isn't a STO thing, all third person perspective games deal with the same problem, the same way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
When walking the passage ways of an aircraft carrier you would probably see maybe 20-30 people from any point "A" to point "B". Why you may ask? Well because everyone would be working in their spaces. Traveling the passage ways was not done as a leisure activity, but more of a means of getting to one place or another. Also, while I'm getting a bit technical, p-ways that intersected the captains and admirals quarters were designated with blue tile. This blue tile was restricted to all personel unless they had specific business in these passageways.
A Galaxy class ship only takes maybe five people to run and the rest of the crew perform other tasks, not related to the actual operation of the ship.

The ships in Star Trek do tend to have very high volumes of leisure time compared to a nautical ship and lots of travel around the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-11-2010, 12:44 AM
It would make far more sense to spawn fewer NPCs that are smarter.

Spawn them in at a turbolift, have them walk somewhere, do something, and leave. Or have them at a console. Or have them patrol between 1-5 random consoles. Or heck, they can just sit at one console.

Or they might spawn at the turbolift on the crew deck, walk to the bar/replicator, use it, walk to a table, use a chair for a couple minutes, then walk back to the turbolift and despawn. Randomize all of it- some might stay longer, some might do different things.

How is this hard? I remember Ultima 7, back in the day, (320x200 screen resolution!) had NPCs that would do various tasks at various times of day. Yet this game has mindless drones that just wander aimlessly?

Of course, Cryptic apparently cannot make a Season update without breaking Star Clusters?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Speaking of odd Crew Behavior, anyone else thrown off a little bit when Security Personnel seem to be scanning things in Sick Bay...Medical Personnel seem to be scanning the Warp Core in Engineering...Engineering Personnel wandering around aimlessly?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-11-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
A Galaxy class ship only takes maybe five people to run and the rest of the crew perform other tasks, not related to the actual operation of the ship.

The ships in Star Trek do tend to have very high volumes of leisure time compared to a nautical ship and lots of travel around the ship.
I actually thought of that and this brings up a very interesting thought. The Galaxy Class Starships also had a large complement of civilians (ie.. wives, husbands and children). Would be nice if this could be mixed in with the NPC's currently walking the passageways.

Another thought along these lines - have you moused over your NPC's in the passageways yet? Everyone is a Star Fleet Officer. No enlisted ranks at all, which I thought was odd.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-11-2010, 05:31 AM
They keep walking upto my Captains quarters door in groups and opening it on my ship!
Damned insubordination if you ask me!!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampson
They keep walking upto my Captains quarters door in groups and opening it on my ship!
Damned insubordination if you ask me!!!
I've noticed this also. I'm sure we can go on and on with what needs to be changed with the interiors, but I can't help but feel that we (the star trek community) are partly to blame for what we have right now. We wanted ship interiors, or at least a good portion wanted them, and we kept pushing and pushing for their release.

I have to say that I'm honestly happy we currently have ship interiors. Sure they could be better and they will be soon enough. I think the only thing we can do at this point is offer our suggestions and allow them to evaluate what is possible and what takes priority.