Lt. Commander
# 1 Want a Miranda at Admiral?
08-10-2010, 11:39 PM
So here is another idea my buddy and I were tossing around the other day. I HATE Miranda class ships... they are bulky and ugly and slow and underarmed, but my buddy LOVES them to death. Christ knows why, but hey... to each his own right?

So we toyed around with the idea of upgradeable lower teir ships.

Lets take the shoddy Miranda ship for example. Lets say you actually LIKE this hunk of space junk and you want to keep it for the forseeable future, but almost imidiately your completely outmatched by higher teir ships.
Solution: When you reach a certain lvl, you get an opportunity to spend money/do a mission/confiscate tech to upgrade your current ship. You get it in single elements each time.

For example:

You want another weapon slot... okay no prob, we can do that. Just cough up 50000 energy credits, or whatever. It should be a nice punch in the pocket book. After all, your adding a whole new section of ship to accomadate a new weapon! Okay, so now you got your new weapon slot... aww, but your not happy with that!?! Okay, well for a 2nd extra weapon slot you must undertake a 'quest' mission to find someone who is qualified to do that kind of work on your ship. You travel to some deep space station, you find a guy who knows a guy who met the guy your looking for on some planet on the other side of the quadrant. So anyway you find the guy, and he offers to refit your ship, but at a cost. He doesn't want money, no... turns out he has a rediculous amount of Gorn troubles and needs you to 'help' him out. Yadda yadda you have another weapon slot. YAY!

So on and so on till you have an 8 weapon slotted, comparible, extra consoles, speedy little cruiser that could hold it's own against a galaxy class ship. Of course each quest or bought upgrade can only open up at certain lvls, so you can stay EVEN with the higher ships, but not exceed them. In this way, you can keep your crappy little Miranda class ship or nebula, or constitution, or whatever... all the way to the end of the game. Not to mention, it makes PvP a LOT more varied and interesting.

Imagine a constitution class cruiser blowing away a luna class in PvP... that would be pretty surprising yeah?

Just food for thought!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
now this is what i thought they meant when they said we would be able to refit ships so i agree this is an ingenious idea i personally would like to keep the Commander rank Cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Imagine a constitution class cruiser blowing away a luna class in PvP... that would be pretty surprising yeah?!
No, it would be idiotic. Similar to WW1 biplane shooting down F-22 Raptor.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Indeed. Refits can only go so far...
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-11-2010, 03:45 AM
I can see this idea taking off and I agree wth it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Actually, this is kinda awesome.

And as for the haters, well, just because it looks like an old block 2 connie, doesn't mean it is anymore. At this point, the only thing left of the connies is that the hull mostly kinda sorta looks like 'em.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-11-2010, 04:37 AM
I love this idea - has the added plus of adding content for players to 'grind' their way to a refit ship via linked missions & gives players even more flexible ship choice throughout each level/rank.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ller View Post
No, it would be idiotic. Similar to WW1 biplane shooting down F-22 Raptor.
so what if that biplane was a refit you replaced the engine with a jet one you re-enforced the wings and fuselage and put missiles on it and enclose the cockpit or give the pilot a futuristic flight suit what then could that biplane still kill the raptor yes it could and would be AWESOME now i just thought of a SPACE BIPLANE.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I've seen this idea out there for a while now. I personally LOVE this take on it. It would work well, provided that the missions are available for each type of ship that you need upgraded. Getting something like this going in-game would certainly bring some variations to the game (nothing wrong with that).

This could be implemented now, but with another lvl cap raise, and a bunch of new ships coming in the future, I think it unlikely that they'd want to continue to mess with the coding for all of the ships/missions as they come out, or when more items come out as the lvl cap increases.

You ARE on to something here though with the mission-for-upgrading idea. I really would like to see this in game for sure!
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryManilow View Post
so what if that biplane was a refit you replaced the engine with a jet one you re-enforced the wings and fuselage and put missiles on it and enclose the cockpit or give the pilot a futuristic flight suit what then could that biplane still kill the raptor yes it could and would be AWESOME now i just thought of a SPACE BIPLANE.
If starships were planes than yes,it would be silly....but they are ships and not planes.The US Navy has some nice examples of retrofitting: the Midway class aircraft carrier,USS Midway was build in 1945 and kept in service till 1992! What about the Iowa class battleships,USS Missouri was launched in 1944,served in WW2 and the Korean war,mothballed in 1955 but reactivated and modernised in 1984 and in service till 1992.