Lt. Commander
How about the ability to combine the parts we have now in new ways?

The first and most obvious way to me is to 'Mirandize' ships. The Miranda itself already does this with the Constitution parts, the Nebula does this with the Galaxy class, the Centaur kind of sorta does it with the Excelsior parts.

Why not do this for ships like the Sovereign? It would look cool imo. To add to some of the retro flavor and more options category, why not let us use the TOS Constitution parts on the current Miranda light cruiser?

Thoughts?

Edit: Or perhaps allow us to mix parts from the other types of ships of the same teir, or even one above or below? I happen to think the Sovereign nacelles on a Galaxy class would look fantastic.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I thought about this a while back, to me rather than just have the set models at Tier 5, RA's and above could get a proper ship builder tool in the shipyard.

This tool would be no different to the current builder, except it provides all the components of all the ships of that class, (including c-store bought skins) and you can mix and mash them, they obviously scale if need be, which wouldn't be too difficult surely. Full and proper customisation!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampson
I thought about this a while back, to me rather than just have the set models at Tier 5, RA's and above could get a proper ship builder tool in the shipyard.

This tool would be no different to the current builder, except it provides all the components of all the ships of that class, (including c-store bought skins) and you can mix and mash them, they obviously scale if need be, which wouldn't be too difficult surely. Full and proper customisation!!
Yeah. I was saying this awhile back that I'd like Tier 6 to be just 3 very iconic ship templates (ie. the rough layout of the Connie, Akira and maybe the Intrepid) and then just focus on giving us as many style options as possible, bashed from all the existing ship kits.

CapnLogan seemed to like the idea..
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-11-2010, 03:02 AM
if CBS were ever to give approval on this, i'm pretty sure cryptic would have it in as soon as they could..

i love the idea, there's a lot of bits from ships i'd like to see on other ships and so on..

the problem is CBS, every ship model has to go to them for approval as far as i know, and the sheer level of possibilities this would create is insane, no way they could check on every possible variant imaginable and OK them, so they'd probably just shoot the idea down from the get-go.

still, it would be nice..
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
How about the ability to combine the parts we have now in new ways?

The first and most obvious way to me is to 'Mirandize' ships. The Miranda itself already does this with the Constitution parts, the Nebula does this with the Galaxy class, the Centaur kind of sorta does it with the Excelsior parts.

Why not do this for ships like the Sovereign? It would look cool imo. To add to some of the retro flavor and more options category, why not let us use the TOS Constitution parts on the current Miranda light cruiser?

Thoughts?
You're opening a big ol' can of canon ships vs. non-canon ships discussion. But why not? Cryptic's ships are in the game, so I'll play along.

There were several classes of starship that never made it into the original series due to budget constraints. That's why every federation starship seen in the show was a Constitution-class, like the Enterprise.
In 1975 a guy named Franz Joseph wrote the first Star Trek technical manual and in it he invented several new ships.

There was the "Hermes-class", which was basically a saucer connected to a single nacelle. It was designated a scout, but there was a variant called the "Saladin-class" that was labeled a destroyer.
There was a ship that looked very much like a Miranda called the "Ptolemy-class", but it was designated a tug. It hauled around big cylinders full of supplies, colonists, whatever.
And then there was the "Federation-class" dreadnought, which looks exactly what a TOS Galaxy-X would look like.

You can see all of those ships here.

Personally, I'd love it if they added more TOS ships to the game, but canonically it doesn't make much sense: The original Enterprise was commissioned in 2245, but Star Trek Online takes place in 2409, 164 years later. That would be like the U.S. Navy taking the U.S.S. Chicago to a modern war. It just wouldn't happen.

C-Store? Sure. Hand em out to everybody? Nah.

But that does make one think: This game is heavily instanced. It could be possible to make a side-game where you play in the 2250's instead of 2409. Not time travel, your character stays in that era. All the ships, technology, sound effects. Even missions where you might support Kirk on missions that didn't make it to the television. I think something like this could be a lot of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-11-2010, 03:20 AM
I would fly the heck out of a TOS inspired Miranda
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Obviously they could apply some controls to what acceptable if need be (if CBS is a problem..) to try and keep things in perspective so to speak. Like I already suggested only ships of the same class line... i.e cruisers, they could also have a time frame limitation, like you couldn't bolt on a Galaxy scaled saucer to the ToS connie. I'm pretty sure most of this could be do-able with a bit of thought. I mean, I think my Star Cruiser would look cool with Galaxy class nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-11-2010, 05:20 AM
I do think the mixing and matching of more parts gives us something we want: more ability to customize our ships, be it just a different layout (Miranda style), or just allowing us to use parts from lower tiers of the same ship type.

It gives the developers something they want: Gives us a shiny toy to play with, with a minimum of effort.

I'm sure there would need to be a part scale tech put in, maybe a few restrictions on part combinations. (I can't see a Galaxy class saucer ever working with a star cruiser hull, just doesn't fit up together) Otherwise the model mesh and art is already there.