Lt. Commander
# 141
04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Actually from what I can tell the anomaly in "All Good Things" was the only thing Q created.

Any ideas when it may air again, and on what channel?

[edit] Found this on Sci Fi network:
  • 05/07/2009 - 11:30 PM STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION - ALL GOOD THINGS . . . - PART 1
  • 05/07/2009 - 12:30 AM STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION - ALL GOOD THINGS . . . - PART 2
Lt. Commander
# 142
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

Any ideas when it may air again, and on what channel?

[edit] Found this on Sci Fi network:
  • 05/07/2009 - 11:30 PM STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION - ALL GOOD THINGS . . . - PART 1
  • 05/07/2009 - 12:30 AM STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION - ALL GOOD THINGS . . . - PART 2
Yeah I haven't had a chance to watch it in a while (I've got it on DVD), but it has started to dawn on me that maybe the assumption that the entire episode is an alternate time line created, but Q is wrong...
Lt. Commander
# 143
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Quote:

I had always envisioned the 'Syndicate' as an NPC criminal faction, and that the 'Klingon/Orions' player faction would be the Planet Orion and its inhabitants.
Nah. The Syndicate is actually pretty divergent from the Orion species now, as a fair number of civilians still exist. Not to mention, the Syndicate isn't really even that dominated by the Orions now. They've got plenty of other members of other species. But the information we've been given so far is that the Klingons have allied with the Syndicate, the actual criminal organization, not Orion proper, which I believe is either in or surrounded by Federation territory. So it doesn't really make sense for the Kilngons to fight their way through Federation territory to reach an ally as small as that, especially since the majority of their operations are not on the planet Orion itself.
Lt. Commander
# 144
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
Really starting to look like Cryptic may be following in the footsteps of the Countdown comic books. If they do in fact go through with the destruction of Romulus... I wonder if the Remans will be a welcoming sort to the Romulans on Crateris.
That would be tremendously out of character. They aught to lord it over the Romuluans, going who's the slave now! Realistically, there should be time to evacuate worlds that will be effected by the super nova and move colonies outside the 50 light year radius of destruction that a normal super nova has. A simple nova on the other hand would effect only the star system where the nova happens.
Lt. Commander
# 145
04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Oops, posted too fast.

The three last paragraphs struck me as really odd.
Quote:
On Ferenginar, protests rock the capital for two days after Grand Nagus Rom uses tax proceeds to start free schools. Many Ferengi see the free education as an assault on traditional values, and the demonstrations continue until Rom charges each protester ten slips of latnium for mass assembly without a proper permit. To get a permit to protest, Rom charges a bar of latnium. Proceeds are used to fund the educational system.

In addition to working to curb the rising hostilities between the Klingons and the Gorn, Federation diplomats are hard at work crafting a new pact between the Federation and the Cardassians. On Stardate 63976.74, the Cardassians sign a new treaty, in which they agree not to field a military or wage war. In exchange, the Federation agrees to provide aid to rebuild Cardassian cities and protection in the event of an invasion of Cardassian space. In response to the landmark agreement, the Bajoran coalition drops its request to prosecute Cardassians for war crimes. Many among the Bajorans and Cardassians hope that someday relations between them will be normalized.

On behalf of the Founders, Odo meets with Lamat’Ukan, First of the Jem’Hadar in the Alpha Quadrant. Odo asks the Jem’Hadar to return to the Gamma Quadrant with him, but Lamat’Ukan rejects Odo as a false god. “You wear the shape of our gods, but you do not have their spirit,” Lamat’Ukan is reported to have said. “You are corrupted by your … taste for the life of a solid. To follow you would be to sacrifice our souls. There would be no victory under your banner. Without victory, there is no life.”
This makes Rom seem a little despotic, since he's charging for the right to peaceably assemble. That fits the Ferengi stereotype, but it doesn't fit Rom, in that he supposed to be horrible at business, yet charging to protest, and using the money to fund that which the protests are against is strategically genius. However, Rom is supposed to only be technologically intelligent. However, in small groups, it sounds like it would be cheaper to pay the fine, instead of pay for a protest permit, a bar being worth more than a few slips of latinum.

Also, do the Ferengi even pay taxes, I'm pretty sure they don't. I think they pay for government services directly and through those prayer station things where you drop a slip of platinum every time you pass one.

However, the action of making free schools puts the focus on what is wrong with Ferengi society where no one in Ferengi society thinks anything is wrong at all, and where no problem was ever pointed out. Rom was made Grand Negus because he has no concern for Ferengi traditions. The major issue that Rom should have handled was the rights of women in Ferengi society. They have next to no rights and power. It is in fact what leads to him becoming Grand Negus. Ferengi women aren't allowed to leave Ferenginar, they aren't allowed to own businesses, nor have their own money, and they are forbidden from wearing clothes, not just by taboo, but I think by law. That one issue, of equal rights for females would be enough to fill Rom's entire career as Grand Nagus.

The Cardassians agreeing not to field a military strikes me as completely inconsistent with all previous characterization and historical logic. Even the Japanese weren't prevented form having a military, they were limited to a defense force, a military with no power projection ability. While the Germans were previously prevented from having anything and resorted to secret construction and research. It also strikes me as odd that such a humongous change would occur in such a short time. It's the Cardassians going from not trusting the Federation enough to allow them to provide aid, to trusting the Federation enough that the Cardassians are willing to put their lives into the hands of Starfleet without any alternate recourse after all their recent history has been about the ability to sustain themselves. It's if instead of the Cardassians finally seeing the Federation as friends, the Cardassians have completely given up, they're finally truly broken.

I find it difficult to believe any Jem'Hadar could make and stick by the rationalization that Odo isn't a real changeling, considering the strength of their genetic conditioning. The reasoning also seems highly flawed, first, because Odo has been accepted by the Founders and is therefore supported by them, secondly, because to even be able to question a single Founder would require the ability to question them all. That makes the Jem'Hadar's explanation of why he is refusing Odo's orders a lie, one I think no Founder would believe. It puts the guy in the same sort of place as that one Jem'Hadar who was immune to the needs of Ketracel-white. Also, it's not that Victory is life, but that they assume their life is over when entering battle, until they finally achieve victory, so that reasoning is also flawed. Finally, such a revolt would require these Jem'Hadar capture a Ketracel-white manufacturing facility, which wasn't mentioned.
Lt. Commander
# 146
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
The DS9 finale showed that Rom was more than "technologicly intellegent", he understood the business reforms that the previous Grand Nagus was making in ways that Quark didn't. In fact the show had over time shown that Rom was much smarter than Quark gave him credit for, he just needed the chance find his own way out from under his brothers shadow.

He's just showing that he knows how to use the system to change the system, and given the Farengi mindset, they probably respect him more now for finding a new source of revenue.
Lt. Commander
# 147
04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
all right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt. Data!!! he can outlive everyone so there is no reason why he won't be in the game.
the orion's should be seperate from the klingons.(orion=thief,no honor)(klingon=honored warrior)

make remus explode suddenly an parts of it destroy the capitol on romulus and the rest form a ring around romulus.

make that happen. what will LaForge do? USS ENTERPRISE-E XO? that would be cool.
WHO GETS THE BIG E IN STO?

Captain Tylor Liles
USS EARHART NCC-16020
Lt. Commander
# 148
04-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Actually from what I can tell the anomaly in "All Good Things" was the only thing Q created.
No, no Q didn't. Picard did. The anomaly was created by the three scans in different timeframes. But those were only made because Q made Picard jump through time.
Lt. Commander
# 149
04-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Quote:
I want to see an independent NPC Criminal faction for the Orion Syndicate -- separate from even the 'Planet Orion'
That's what i meant!
Lt. Commander
# 150
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
Nah. The Syndicate is actually pretty divergent from the Orion species now, as a fair number of civilians still exist. Not to mention, the Syndicate isn't really even that dominated by the Orions now. They've got plenty of other members of other species. But the information we've been given so far is that the Klingons have allied with the Syndicate, the actual criminal organization, not Orion proper, which I believe is either in or surrounded by Federation territory. So it doesn't really make sense for the Kilngons to fight their way through Federation territory to reach an ally as small as that, especially since the majority of their operations are not on the planet Orion itself.

That is what I am saying about the Syndicate being seperate from 'Orion', so to speak.

I think that in the STO map, Orion (and Nausica) will be located next to the Klingon Border, so that their 'union' with the Klingons does not require some strange branching deep into Fed Space.

Unless there is some Bizzare space anomaly that relocates Naussica and Orion (the nova from 'countdown' or something). Who knows besides Cryptic.