Lt. Commander
# 1 CANNON! -- What the...?!
08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
OK.. I've seen this many times before... a posting where the word 'cannon' is used. So, I am starting this post out of frustration to the actual use of that word in the forums.

First of all - What the .... does it even MEAN?
Secondly - As it would seem, 'Cannon' is used as a noun, an adjective, a verb, and even in some cases an adverb... So, what the heck does it mean?! lol

This posting is primarily for clarification. ... as well as sharing my frustration on the use of a word that WAS a noun, and now is being used in an adjective, a action verb, and makes no sense in the English language whatsoever; nor does it have a place in the Dictionary under such phonetical meanings.

So, is that "Cannon" enough for you?! :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
First off, you spelled it incorrectly. "Canon", one 'n', as in 'canonical' and 'canon law'.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
First off, you spelled it incorrectly. "Canon", one 'n', as in 'canonical' and 'canon law'.
I looked it up, and it makes sense now LOL. Thanks for that clarification.

So, for all those who wondered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical

"Canon:
- The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic.
the entire Shakespeare canon"

Maybe I'm not the only one who's never heard of this. lol.. .... ... I hope. Learn something every day!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantore View Post
OK.. I've seen this many times before... a posting where the word 'cannon' is used. So, I am starting this post out of frustration to the actual use of that word in the forums.

First of all - What the .... does it even MEAN?
Secondly - As it would seem, 'Cannon' is used as a noun, an adjective, a verb, and even in some cases an adverb... So, what the heck does it mean?! lol

This posting is primarily for clarification. ... as well as sharing my frustration on the use of a word that WAS a noun, and now is being used in an adjective, a action verb, and makes no sense in the English language whatsoever; nor does it have a place in the Dictionary under such phonetical meanings.

So, is that "Cannon" enough for you?! :p
Star Trek TOS, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS9, Star Trek VOY = Canon

Star Trek The New Movie, Star Trek Online = Not Canon
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolonewulf View Post

That's debatable, but IMO, XI is most definitely cannon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
That's debatable, but IMO, XI is most definitely cannon.
xi IMO is cannon of a new "mirror" universe. B ut Id love to see stuff based in both.. yeah STO definitely is not cannon..
Lt. Commander
# 7 Tiime line
08-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Canon is Sanctioned Timeline by the creators of something like Batman or Star Trek. The rule on Star Trek are quite easy. You would think Only the TV shows and movies count. Not The TAS or books. Roddenberry got them pulled as part of the deal for him to do TNG. Alternate Timeline do not count as well.

The Galxey X is not canon. Same with the Kzinti. A plained race coming out. Any Warp drive faster the 10+ is not canon. They have never got them to work more the once or twice. See how it works?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
While one may say that STO is not Canon. Most non canon is not under the purview of the rights holders (CBS/Paramount). BUT every new ships, new design, and new plot point in STO has to go through CBS for approval just like a movie or TV series would. So in that situation, how can we consider the events in the game to not be canon when it is in fact all written off by the rights holders them selves.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-11-2010, 11:04 PM
"Tactical, fire all canons!"
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolonewulf View Post

Star Trek 11 is definitely cannon.

What isn't canon is basically anything that isn't shown on TV, the Movies, or from Roddenberry himself. Which mainly means books and games are not canon by any means.