Lt. Commander
# 21
08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Canon - the works of an author that have been accepted as authentic

Gene Roddenberry was the author of star trek (canon), he passed the torch of Star Trek material to Rick Berman, who then employed the writing of Brannon Braga, Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr. Those people had Gene's blessing to continue the Star Trek canon. Anything after this fact is subject to a non-canon law. Even Rick Berman said that Enterprise went against canon, but still tried to hold to tradition, but still was not canon. As far as the new movie is concerned it is not canon Star Trek it is an alternate timeline, Canon Star Trek ended with Nemesis, as Rick Berman retired and the rights of the future of Star Trek defaulted to CBS/Paramount.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolonewulf View Post
Canon - the works of an author that have been accepted as authentic....
FALSE

I already posted what the canon for Star Trek is.

The canon is any licensed Trek material that was on a screen (TV or Movie) and was live action.

No other definition is correct, that one comes straight from the horses mouth, the links/sources are in one of my older posts.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Star Trek TOS, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS9, Star Trek VOY = Canon
You forgot ENT, which is even canon in both old- and Abrams-Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Canon/Cannon is the STO version of Rogue/Rouge.

Drives me CRAZY!

On the other hand...I'd love to get some rouge cannons for my BoP. That'd be purty.

Pew Pew Pew
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Star Trek TOS, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS9, Star Trek VOY = Canon

Star Trek The New Movie, Star Trek Online = Not Canon
Why do you say the new movie is not canon???
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantore View Post
OK.. I've seen this many times before... a posting where the word 'cannon' is used. So, I am starting this post out of frustration to the actual use of that word in the forums.

First of all - What the .... does it even MEAN?
Secondly - As it would seem, 'Cannon' is used as a noun, an adjective, a verb, and even in some cases an adverb... So, what the heck does it mean?! lol

This posting is primarily for clarification. ... as well as sharing my frustration on the use of a word that WAS a noun, and now is being used in an adjective, a action verb, and makes no sense in the English language whatsoever; nor does it have a place in the Dictionary under such phonetical meanings.

So, is that "Cannon" enough for you?! :p
Canon = Everything seen in the star trek movies and series. Everything on this site is cannon.http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main. This is cannon law to trek fans. Seems this game has drawn no trekkie who havent a clue what there talking about when it comes to star trek. Not that I mind. New gamers are good for any MMO. This site is non -cannon trek but is called soft cannon which is stuff from startrek books and games.http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page and after this there is fanon

The Star Trek canon is the set of all canonical material in the Star Trek universe. It is usually defined as comprising the television series Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Enterprise, and the first ten motion pictures in the franchise.[1] However, the official Star Trek website acknowledges that this definition is not set in stone, but that the notion of what constitutes canon in Star Trek is fluid, open to interpretation and debate.

Hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matunus
Why do you say the new movie is not canon???
New movie is cannon Anything seen on star trek series are movies is automatically cannon
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
FALSE

I already posted what the canon for Star Trek is.

The canon is any licensed Trek material that was on a screen (TV or Movie) and was live action.

No other definition is correct, that one comes straight from the horses mouth, the links/sources are in one of my older posts.
Look at the definition of "canon" at dictionary.com and you will see what it means.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac09 View Post
xi IMO is cannon of a new "mirror" universe. B ut Id love to see stuff based in both.. yeah STO definitely is not cannon..
actuly it is considered soft canon(as posted by the devs)
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
ok first off, C A N O N

and yes the new movie is canon, it shows the normal time-line and the alternate one, making the alternate universe part of the overall canon, like the mirror universe is part of the established canon of star trek, its just neither are part of the prime time-line.

Books and comics are not or at best are soft canon, as is this game that has been confirmed.

there is some debate as to whether the animated series is canon or not, many never believed it is not, including roddenberry himself. he did say that had he known there would be a next gen, he would have made the cartoon fit in with what had gone before and tried to keep it canon.
I believe when they tried to promote the series for dvd sale recently, CBS took a more open view and possible considered TAS canon but ive never seen anything concrete, but its one that will be debated forever.

Personally I view it like the game as soft canon. Its part of star trek and uses the rules set down by the series but can be dismissed or ignored by later shows and its up to us if and how we want to include it in our own personal view of star trek, at least until something firm contradicts it on screen.