Lt. Commander
# 1 My thoughts on PVP
08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I just thought I'd share a different perspective on PVP than most of the ones in this forum.

Firstly, I'd like to point out I'm PVE player primarily. I played PVP a few times through the ranks but only started regularly at Vice Admiral so my experience is pretty thin. I've also only played as an Engineer in a Cruiser in space PVP (so most likely none of this applies to ground).

The Queues

Unlike apparently everyone else I've had very few problems with the queues. I join three queues, wait a few minutes, a box pops up and I click engage. Most of the time I join a game ten seconds later. Sometimes I get told not enough people accepted but mostly it works. Since the devs have confirmed there are bugs I'll put that down to good luck.

Federation v Klingons

Most of the matches I've been in are FvF. Most of these are fairly close. The only FvK I've been in has been has been capture and hold and the Feds have been slaughtered every time, both in terms of influence (I've never seen the Klingons below 1000) and kill/death ratio. I managed to be first on my team once with a worse than 1:1 kill/death ratio. Since there are so many variables in this (I was always in a PuG and the Klingons might not have been, some players may have been AFK or losing on purpose etc.) I'm not sure what conclusions to draw.

Smacktalk

Quite a few people have complained about unpleasant zone chat but I've never seen it. A match I was in recently got a little heated but none of it was unreasonable and there was more friendly banter anyway. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's certainly not guaranteed. Even the one sided FvK matches were friendly from both sides.

Cruisers

I've only ever flown a cruiser in PVP and I have to say they survive well. I use a single RSP which is generally the last skill I use. I can normally survive several ships attacking for quite a while although I've sometimes died in a few seconds (especially against Klingons). Sometimes the group healing can seem a little silly though. An ally under fire with hull approaching zero suddenly having full shields and hull must be annoying for the people shooting at him.

I'm not sure what conclusions you should take from this rather rambling wall of text, except, perhaps maybe things aren't quite so gloomy as the forum suggests? And of course that any people thinking of PVP that haven't already should give it a go.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxiaGuy View Post
I'm not sure what conclusions you should take from this rather rambling wall of text
Umm l2p? Sorry I couldn't resist!
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Well there might be a slight possibility that the people I was playing against (especially Klingons) were just better... :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxiaGuy View Post
Well there might be a slight possibility that the people I was playing against (especially Klingons) were just better... :p
Well considering that these Klingons have ranked up to VA *mainly* through PvP, Id say there is a remote possibility..

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been asked to take the winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-Michael Jordan