Lt. Commander
# 21
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
It's days like these when I curse my near-total lack of interest in animé.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I think they are talking about Warhammer 40K now, but that can be almost just as hard to follow.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krent View Post
I think they are talking about Warhammer 40K now, but that can be almost just as hard to follow.
Yeah, I only know a bit about it from playing the DoW game. I started reading about it and saw the gigantic amount of info and just gave up. To sum up though, humans are fighting on behalf of "the God-Emperor". I gathered from the game, and I could be wrong, that he's an amazingly powerful psychic who was immortalized and turned into a cyborg.

Most of the bad guys come from "the Warp", which is sorta like the movie Event Horizon. So the Imperium of humans uses warp drive to travel, get corrupted and goes insane from it, then other humans have to come kill them. There are several other non-human races, mostly also fighting the Warp. The Warp is also somehow connected to psychics, so it'll probably turn out that the God-Emperor is creating it himself via a computer glitch or somesuch.....

Now I flee back into the arctic to avoid raven's anger for me giving the worst explanation of WH40K ever.
-waddles away and slides on tummy into the distance-
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
In the case of the Tyrannids, they're invading "our" galaxy because of the Astronomician Beacon (A group of Pyschics who shine their minds into the warp, so that other Imperium ships can navigate the warp (because they have a fixed reference point)). The Tyrannids are drawn to the beacon because they are telepathic. At least, that is what I understand about them.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I have a story for the Ravenstein. Today a petting zoo came to work and they brought bunnies! There was a Flemish giant and I wanted it. Then there was this other one that was so freaking soft it felt like I was petting air. I loved it so much and I wish I knew what it was called. I thought about you.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Also, as far as I can tell, the Tau have never really had any interactions with the Warp beyond the occasional skirmish with the beings it spews forth. I know quite a lot about Warhammer, it's when they're talking about magical japanese schoolgirls that I come unstuck.

Also; I used to own a Flemish Giant rabbit. We had to get rid of it, because my dog was so scared of it that she refused to go into the kitchen (where both her food bowl and the rabbit's massive hutch were located), and ended up nearly starving to death, the silly thing.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah, Tau engines are best likened to holding a ball under water and letting go. They enter the edge of the warp, and then get fired out, sometimes they do still get lost inside. But they don't go all the way in, and so don't actually have to deal with a lot of it, I don't think they even know that the Warp exists...

Its amusing also that the Tau only exist as they are now through a long series of accidents and interventions on behalf of the other races... The Imperium's plans to colonise the Tau homeworld failed because of the paperwork and loss of Colony ships. And their inter-solar travel because they found a wreck on one of their moons. And that the entire race was bio-engineered by the Eldar...
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krent View Post
I am talking about both actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
And that the entire race was bio-engineered by the Eldar...
I thought they were the Necrontyr before most of the race became corrupted by the the C'tan. Tau and Necrons looks similar (apart from the fact that Necrons are metal skeletons), are/were technologically oriented, and have almost no warp presence.

The TVTRopes description of 40k gets it close.

My personal theories...
The God Emperor of Man is actually Kimiko Arisato, the female protagonist of Persona 3.
- The personas are just the prelude to full blown psyker powers.
- Both the Warp and Tartarus are ever changing and unpredictable
- Both Tartarus and the Warp are inhabited by soul devouring monsters
- Both the Dark Hour and the Warp/Eye of Terror magnify the effects of psyker (persona) powers
- Both the Warp and Tartarus are the residences of powerful, universe ending monsters (Nyx in Tartarus, the Chaos Gods in the Warp)
- Both the warp and Tartarus have corrupting influences on those that wield the powers of persona or the warp (Strega is the longest active Persona users, each also rather embodies a Chaos God very well)
- Opposing the Empire and SEES are Strega/Chaos Gods
- Chidori is Nurgle. On one hand the least hateful (even falls in love with one of the main party and helps SEES) of Strega, but also the taker of life through disease and wasting.
- Jin is Tzeentch. He is cool, calculating, and always making plans. He is the real brains behind Strega, planning ambushes and intrigues of the group.
- Takaya is Khorne. He loves killing. For no reason at all. He lives only to destroy. Knowing he will die, his only goal is to take the rest of the world with him.
- There is no avatar of Slaanesh because Slaanesh was not created yet. Slaanesh was created by the Eldar having one big party.
- Both the Persona 3 hero/heroine sacrifices themselves to stop a universe destroying evil.
- Both always bring out the best in those around them.
- Both have the goal of leading mankind out of despair.
- Both are also tied to the Tarot. There are 22 major arcana of the Tarot. There were 20 Primarchs, plus the Emperor, plus Alpharius's twin Omegon makes 22. Over the course of the game, the Persona 3 hero/heroine will make 22 S. Links, each corresponding to one of the arcana and each person he/she uses will correspond to one of these arcana.

So here is Ravenstein's History of Warhammer 40k...
Long ago the Old Ones led by Philemon fought a war with the C'tan. These two groups of god-like beings created various servant races to battle each other. The Old Ones created Warp Sensitive races like Humans, Eldar, and Orks while the C'tan used non-warp sensitive races like the Necrontyr. The C'tan won. Barely. Much of the universe was scoured by this so the C'tan and their servants went to sleep. While Old Ones retreated into their servant's collective unconscious.

The surviving servants of the Old Ones built their empires across the stars. Most notable for now are the Humans. The humans developed on Earth where the future God-Empress was born and her first experiences against Chaos (Nyx). She sacrificed herself to seal Nyx away until a method was finally found to banish Nyx and it's domain Tartarus to an unreality. This became The Warp. Now released, the God-Empress traveled Earth and the domains of man amassing knowledge, wisdom, and strength, eventually perfecting her persona powers into true psyker powers.

Mankind went into the stars, finding the Eldar already kinda there. But at this time the Eldar were too busy having orgies to care so mankind was able to expand across the cosmos. However a war was fought between men and their AI machines that ended the Golden Age and began the Dark Age of Technology.

The Eldar go and have one orgy too many and cause a tear in the fabric of space-time allowing Tartarus to start spewing forth back into reality. This prompts the God-Empress to act and she creates clones of the people who helped her defeat Nyx/Chaos the first time. These become the Primarchs. Foremost among them is Junpei Iori/Horus. In her time, Junpei wished he was the hero but in the end stayed with the God-Empress because of his love for her. However long years spent away from her caused that to fade and he fell into Chaos.

He started an uprising, called The Horus/Junpei Heresy, that tore the Empire the God-Empress formed apart. The Empress finally killed Junpei but was injured in the process. In an epic power grab, the Adepts of Earth locked the Empress in a Golden Prison cell for what they hoped would be an eternity.

Meanwhile, along come a group of voracious little critters called Tyranids. The Tyranids live only to consume all the biomass and life they can and as such are drawn by signs of life. The Warp, being a product of Tartarus which is in turn a product of sin which is a product of life, acted as a beacon of an all you can eat buffet, drawing them to our galaxy.

The Tau are the uncorrupted surviving Necrontyr who were enlisted by the C'tan to destroy the Old Ones. Meanwhile the servants of the C'tan, the corrupted Necrontyr now called Necrons are awakening to complete the destruction of the servants of the Old Ones and anything else that gets in the way.

Meanwhile the God-Empress will soon be freed from the Golden Prison by Theo and she will finish off Tartarus once and for all once she does.

So yeah. I have thought waaaaay to much about this.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
So yeah. I have thought waaaaay to much about this.
You didn't make the key connection though: That you are the future God-Empress. You have not thought up this alternate history -- you have foreseen it....
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-14-2010, 05:21 AM
*giggles* Thats a very different but awesome future/alternate reality xD

As for the Tau, they were created by the Eldar to defeat the Orks, whom they created themselves (Exact reasons I don't know) Anyway, they started the Tau before the Eldar's empire fell.

Also, arn't the C'tan dead now? And the C'tyr are the ones that the Necrons currently feed for harvest?

Hehe, most of this has come from guys I talked to in the store, or friends at uni who found it amazing that a girl actually found the Warhammer world interesting xD