Lt. Commander
# 11
08-15-2010, 02:27 AM
You know where you see the Quantum Slipstream Drive being used the most?

In B'Tran (Vice Admiral) area, where 30 or 40 VA's are rushing around the map trying, usually in vain, to get to the one or two anomalies that are visible on the entire map.

I may be wrong, but I doubt that is what the Devs had in mind when they designed QSD.

But, after the Season Two castration of the turn rate in sector space, and the huge amount of new Vice Admirals, getting anomalies can be more challenging that the actual mission you are sent on once you enter that system.

I guess it could be considered a new, undocumented mini-game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valasha
You know where you see the Quantum Slipstream Drive being used the most?

In B'Tran (Vice Admiral) area, where 30 or 40 VA's are rushing around the map trying, usually in vain, to get to the one or two anomalies that are visible on the entire map.

I may be wrong, but I doubt that is what the Devs had in mind when they designed QSD.

But, after the Season Two castration of the turn rate in sector space, and the huge amount of new Vice Admirals, getting anomalies can be more challenging that the actual mission you are sent on once you enter that system.

I guess it could be considered a new, undocumented mini-game.
Weird, I never see that in b'tran...
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Valasha, 100% agree

And, may I add:
I wouldn't even care about all those nasty little mistakes IF everything was working as intended.
The idea of travelling through three whole sector blocks just to get from Sol to the Zenas Expanse is weird, but hey, 10 points of Diplomatic XP are definitely worth it.
But when I enter the system the "aid the planet" mission ain't working. Crap.

Bad luck, but *BING* - I could just travel to the B'tran Cluster and do the VA daily. Hopefully I'll come along some diplomatic missions. OK, back 2 sector blocks to the transwarp gate and another block to cross Gamma orionis. no diplo XP so far.
When entering Federation's Gre'thor - also known as b'tran VA - I have to spend minutes just to find an anomaly that could possibly be a system that could possibly be working to possibly grant me my 10 points of Diplomatic XP.
Finally got one. Scanned five D'Arsay graves. 1350 XP left. D'OH!

I decide to go to bed and give it another try the next morning - but wait - servers are down for maintenance. Sunday 12:22 pm here.
Dammit, I should stick to real life. BAD story but AWESOME graphics.

BTT: Slipstrem is nice, make it a 30 second cooldown so I don't waste too much of my time hunting for XP i never get.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Weird, I never see that in b'tran...
I've used it to snake a couple of systems from people. Guess they'll start using it, and others will learn. I suspect its just not occurred to people yet.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curii
I've used it to snake a couple of systems from people. Guess they'll start using it, and others will learn. I suspect its just not occurred to people yet.
Oh, I thought about doing it. Then I realized how incredibly rude it is, so I refuse to. I add anyone who does it to me to my ignore list, because they're obviously people I don't want to group with.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Farmer
Oh, I thought about doing it. Then I realized how incredibly rude it is, so I refuse to. I add anyone who does it to me to my ignore list, because they're obviously people I don't want to group with.
Considering there's a number of people who camp on star systems., which I consider worse. But hey ho, each to our own.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valasha
Quantum Slipstream Drive is a nice cookie they throw to Vice Admirals after making the turn rate in Sector Space so horrible. But, you have time to travel almost one sector or one-third of a sector block map. It makes you immune to falling into one of the Enemy Signal things, but if a sector mission is available, the NPC will stop you in your tracks waiting for you to respond to their offer of that mission.

You can change the "stop on dialog box" setting in your options: Under the "Controls" tab > "Keep moving during contact dialogs" - set it to "On".
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-15-2010, 11:20 AM
^ Thank you! I hadn't noticed that option the last time I was looking through the settings. That's very useful to know that it is there.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogobstopper
^ Thank you! I hadn't noticed that option the last time I was looking through the settings. That's very useful to know that it is there.
Yes. It's very useful, especially when you know you about to enter combat. Wait a few second until you are ready and continue. Bad guys are behind and you have enough time to around and charge them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Don't ever do what i did once with the QSD though. Which is to set a course with auto pilot to a system that i'm not facing towards. I engaged the drive just as i started moving and because of the dreadful turning with the drive engaged i i did a really lazy turn which then tried to make me fly in the completely wrong direction trying to go off into another sector