Lt. Commander
# 21
08-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
One more Thread one this, One more person Crying.

Not crying. Just trying to point out that if you price a Mark IV Shield with a price of 1,500,000, don't be surprised when it goes unpurchased. I'm also trying to point out to these same people, that if people wanted to save time by buying equipment rather than earning it, there are much cheaper ways of doing it.

So not crying; more like laughing.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-15-2010, 07:51 AM
OP...you sound poor.

Granted your first toon is going to struggle, but by the time he reaches VA1, you should have an extra 15 to 20 million EC laying around to give to your 2nd toon. etc etc.

You reach a point where you end up with over 30 million EC with nothing to spend it on.

I make anywhere between 800k to 3 Million a day on the exchange depending on the drops I get.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Why is it so hard to arrive at the conclusion: If it's worth it to you, you buy it, if not, you don't?

A lot of players have a lot of wealth, so they can and do buy the RARE stuff at high prices. You can't or won't afford them, hey that's cool, but it has nothing to do with anyone else.

Do me a favour, next time, please walk into a Ferrari dealership and cuss them out because their cars don't cost 30k and tell them how they are essentially doing the same function as any other car, and then tell them how the government should put a ceiling on the prices they charge for cars.

Now, if you want to debate the merits of adding a posting fee to the auction house, that's an entirely different thing than to simply whine because something is too pricey.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalsgt View Post
OP...you sound poor.

Granted your first toon is going to struggle, but by the time he reaches VA1, you should have an extra 15 to 20 million EC laying around to give to your 2nd toon. etc etc.

You reach a point where you end up with over 30 million EC with nothing to spend it on.

I make anywhere between 800k to 3 Million a day on the exchange depending on the drops I get.
Again, I don't play all the time. I get an hour or two a day. And that's on a good day. I started playing in February and made it to RA5 three days after Accolades went live (and that's only because the Accolade dump gave me RA2-RA4). I don't live on this game. And again, I find it easier to sell things to NPCs rather than deal with the exchange. I'm not in this game for the currency.

My original post is only about how these items are not being priced to sell. So why are they being priced that way? Whenever I have sold anything on the exchange, it was a purple Mk X Weapon I had no more need of. And I made sure I grossly undercut everyone on there to ensure it sold and still made a 500% premium on what it was worth.

Look, sell you tribble for 15,000,000. I don't care. I'm just trying to tell you I'm not buying. If someone else is, then PT Barnum is a freaking genius.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warem
Why is it so hard to arrive at the conclusion: If it's worth it to you, you buy it, if not, you don't?

A lot of players have a lot of wealth, so they can and do buy the RARE stuff at high prices. You can't or won't afford them, hey that's cool, but it has nothing to do with anyone else.

Do me a favour, next time, please walk into a Ferrari dealership and cuss them out because their cars don't cost 30k and tell them how they are essentially doing the same function as any other car, and then tell them how the government should put a ceiling on the prices they charge for cars.

Now, if you want to debate the merits of adding a posting fee to the auction house, that's an entirely different thing than to simply whine because something is too pricey.
Your analogy doesn't work. The Ferrari dealer is selling an item for WHAT IT IS WORTH. What the exchange is doing is similar to someone walking into Wal-Mart, buying a Wii for $199 and putting it on eBay for $1,000. These shields are only worth 5,000 at the most. You are talking about a >1,000% premium.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Again, I don't play all the time. I get an hour or two a day. And that's on a good day. I started playing in February and made it to RA5 three days after Accolades went live (and that's only because the Accolade dump gave me RA2-RA4). I don't live on this game. And again, I find it easier to sell things to NPCs rather than deal with the exchange. I'm not in this game for the currency.
Right there with you, after all is said and done I log in and run my dailies, couple fleet actions and maybe help a buddy out with a mission. 90 minutes a night tops.

Quote:
My original post is only about how these items are not being priced to sell. So why are they being priced that way? Whenever I have sold anything on the exchange, it was a purple Mk X Weapon I had no more need of. And I made sure I grossly undercut everyone on there to ensure it sold and still made a 500% premium on what it was worth.
Some people use the exchange as a bank, keep that in mind. Maybe they do get lucky and sell a Mk VI Stun pistol for 3 million, chances are it just gets returned.

Quote:
Look, sell you tribble for 15,000,000. I don't care. I'm just trying to tell you I'm not buying. If someone else is, then PT Barnum is a freaking genius.
If you don't like the prices, don't shop.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Quote:
My original post is only about how these items are not being priced to sell. So why are they being priced that way? Whenever I have sold anything on the exchange, it was a purple Mk X Weapon I had no more need of. And I made sure I grossly undercut everyone on there to ensure it sold and still made a 500% premium on what it was worth..
This is why you only have 1.5mil ec.

Quote:
You may not buy it, but someone will. Why would I sell something for less than what someone else is willing to pay?

Anomalies are a good example. They are relatively easy to get (before this stupid bug, but thats not the point). I spend some time farming them, and selling them for 10k-25k on the exchange, each. Sure, it may be ridiculous, and selling something that took me 20 minutes to collect for 1mil may sound ridiculous, but the thing is, I took the time to do farm them. I can sell them for what I want, and I choose to sell them for what people are willing to pay.

It's just the way an open market works. Supply and Demand. It is economics at it's simplest
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I've priced items at 5-10 mil before and sold within a few hours. There are people willing to pay that much and there's nothing wrong with it.

I used to get annoyed at high prices, too. Then I learned, if ya can't beat'em, join'em and I make tons of EC doing it.

I stand by what I said earlier, "Rule of Acquisition #142: Only fools sell wholesale."
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereign View Post
I used to get annoyed at high prices, too. Then I learned, if ya can't beat'em, join'em and I make tons of EC doing it.
Absolutely. I just make sure my items are priced a little less than everyone else's. If I put the items up in the evening, they're usually all sold by the morning.

I had a Plasma Turret Mk X that had been sat in my Bank for aaaages. It sold within the hour, tonight, for 162,000 (which was about 20k less than the next cheapest). It was probably worth less than 10k.

People pay too much for things. So sell to them!
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Always makes me chuckle when I see these 'discussions' on MMO boards... and they always go the same way too! What's funny is the way people see the in game currency, like it's real.. and there's this need to hoard vast quantities of it.

The problem is there comes a point in the life of most MMO's where what was once the main currency becomes almost redundant, and replaced by some other token, currency or whatever. The only other reason I see that there's any worth in trying to attain vast quantities of in game currency is if you're exchanging it for real cash!