Lt. Commander
Hi, with downloading the client using the link on the website (Support->Download->Client) And downloading the 5mb client installer. Does it torrent the data?

The reason I ask is simply that my band width usage has been incredibly high since starting the download.

If it does torrent, is there a way I can disable it from uploading so much data? I pay by the MB on my internet, and the client download has already cost me several tons in gold pressed latinum....

Momo
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes, the official STO installer/patcher/launcher is apparently a stripped down torrent client.

It doesn't have any way of limiting uploading.

This means...you're probably best off trying to get the client some other way.

For instance, you can access the client torrent from Cryptic with a third party BitTorrent client of your choice that does allow you to limit uploading.

That's the torrent linked off the Support -> Download page, by the way. Cryptic doesn't offer any other official downloads, but other file hosting sites may have client downloads as well...possibly of older versions, however, which would mean a considerable amount of patching.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Thankyou for your support and information. I'll just put off downloading for now, as this mishap has killed my current credit reserves.

I was getting worried when my upload statistics were 2x as high as my download, and I pay for over-all usage. Would have completely avoided that download had I known =(
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I just created a free steam account, and downloaded the demo from there which was super fast, then just moved the STO folder and run it as its own game. Works fine and no problems here
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Ack, should have done that *facepalm* Ah well, still haven't got the credit to download that much data again...

I do think they should put a warning on the download that it's a torrent installer, and put in some limit to proportionately download data at a rate faster than the upload...