Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo is a bad joke......
08-16-2010, 01:46 AM
do you expect somebody to actually buy the game after they play the so called demo? Remove this joke from the web site because anyone who sees it will run away.

Btw games without the "online" have demos, mmo games have some time limited trial or level limited where you can experience most of the game of that level.

Here you have one freaking mission and you can finish the hole "game" in less than one hour. What's the point of making this "online" game when it plays like Star Trek Fleet Command plus some bad fps ground action.

I've seen better freeware that this....
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-16-2010, 01:55 AM
yeah they're redoing the demo apparently, though in my opinion the current demo is perfect since it's a good way to show you the general lack of content in the rest of the game aswell.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-16-2010, 01:59 AM
I've felt a bit bad about handing out RAF keys recently due to the lack of content. Hasn't stopped 2/8 upgrading to a full account though

I'll feel better once there's a bit more range (maybe restricting to Lt rank).
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-18-2010, 07:24 AM
The demo is far to short for us prospective subscribers to get a chance to see if we like the game or not. One mission does not show all of the games features. Unless of course - it does as there isn't any more to it.

Either wont help Cryptic get new customers.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Demo seems fine to me...
08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I can see why some people might be unsatisfied with the demo, but I found it really helpful. It gave me a sense of what the game was like, but I also didn't just rely on it. I did research on the forums and watched/listened to some of the STO podcasts before I made any decision.

I actually played the demo a bunch of times and got quite a bit out of it. I used it to practice a lot of the things I learned about in the forums--got good at vaporizing exposed targets, experimented with changing ship energy levels, tried out the different classes, kits, and BOFFs. I also experimented with different keybindings to see what worked and what didn't. If you stick around the battle with the Borg at the end of the tutorial, you can actually get some nice drops too. I played with cannons and turrets on the Miranda to see how they worked, and then tried them out in the Azura mission. I also used a couple of different kinds of impulse engines to see how they affected ship movement.

I agree, if you only rely on the demo, there's maybe not much, but if you're willing to do a little work and research, it's a nice intro to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I actually enjoyed the demo. Granted, I'd like a way to skip it after I've run through it once, but Dstahl said they're working on that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I just played through the trial and after finding myself unable to speak in Zone chat or send a private message to someone (not on my friendslist... haha, hard to make friends being unable to talk?) I went to the forums to try to find out what else I can do in the trial but the S.S. Azura mission.

Reading through the few posts here it becomes obvious that the answer is: Nothing.

I'm severly disappointed for downloading the full client and having to sit through half a day to wait for the slow patch download to ask myself "this is it?" after about 3 hours game time or so. Taken by the hand through a tutorial, talking to NPC a lot, having a single one mission as example, some more NPC talking but no talking to players and pointlessly flying around the sector block.

Currently I can't recall a "demo version" that has less content than STO's trial and I don't think I'm coming back.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I agree the demo gives NO idea.

I bought STOL because I had a gift card for steam and it was 20 bucks and I got some goodies with it.

After playing the demo I would not spend more than 15 bucks on this game, honestly if I didn't have friends playing. It gave me no sense of the MOST IMPORTANT things in an MMO:

Any valid trial for an MMO that hopes to sell people in a competitive market has to offer show those key aspects of the game:

1) the community, are they helpful, is griefing rampant, what is the quality of public discourse (coincidentally why I never went further than 14 days in WoW... I got tired of constant vulgarity in general chat channels).

2) The gameplay, not just one mission and "this is how combat works, cool" but are missions easy to get? are they confusing? How quickly do you upgrade? What's the upgrading system like?

3) You have to let them get far enough into the game that they WANT to keep playing, that they've found a goal to work towards (getting a new ship, getting a certain accolade, whatever).

Right now I look at the demo and think "they don't want to let me out of a very small box to actually play the game, what are they hiding"? Well we all know that answer.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Should be do Lt. Commander or at least any mission in the Sirius Sector Block.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-25-2010, 07:09 AM
A bit of advice for the OP - stay away from the EVE online demo then as its is too short to make you happy as well.