Lt. Commander
IT's a fairly competent Tutorial.. But this is nothing like the Open Beta experience..
it holds too many restrictions when compared to Champions Online by the Cryptic Co DEV TM.

Without Zone chat you are protected from Massive Gold Farming spam.. which is nice..
But considering only one major GF was around spamming PMS and zone chat During Open Beta.
I see this as a deficit.

Why.. Well I tell you this. As a long time Interplay Advance Copy Tester and Closed Open Beta tester for Phases of Star Fleet products by them. You cannot recruit totally from a Company Message board.

You need the active Chat and PM function. A Less restrictive mission Joining system.. One
That includes Demo people and Excludes no one. MAkes you feel more welcome and gives you time to soak in or appreciate the design depth. I know its there but you have to prove it to a casual gamer or a veteran of Star Fleet academy Command.. ans this very limited Demo just misses the bar on critical areas.

Honestly if I came i n Blind for a Product based off a movie set in a revisionist TREK era. I 'd have a mixed opinion. If I came in soaked with years of on-line StarFleet Command Fleet and Tourney xp or a [massive better then Dominion wars] General Wars I'd have a totally empty let down fell.. When the box pops up want to see more go to the website..

I f im somebody that liked Legacy as a solo and then tried on-line Id want what you tried to do for Beta and just dint have the Server support to carry off..
I still remember KEstrel [Diane] saying how she tried to log in from home for Open beta and the server DNS
her..
So if you had a POLL today and ask Did you try the Open Beta and how long did you get?
I'd say mostly DNS and account server sign in troubles. and only 2 good days from a whole week.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Lets see.... if you can do the Azura mission, which is the first "regular" mission...

... it means you have:

- Created and customized a character to your liking
- Created and, if you took your time on Earth Spacedock before going on the Azura mission, customized your first starship.
- Played through the entire introduction, which in itself I personally find quite entertaining.

After the Azura mission, you basically had the chance to see a little bit of everything. Basic mission layout, ground combat, space combat, etc..

So what else do you want? If you want to play more, go buy the game. There isn't much of a reason to grant you any more than you do already get in the demo.
Personally, I think people who can't make up their mind after playing the demo are just cheap and basically want to play as much of the game for free as possible before dumping it.

Seriously, if the time you spent playing the demo wasn't enough to make up your mind... get a faster mind, but don't complain about wanting more for FREE.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Starfire
Lets see.... if you can do the Azura mission, which is the first "regular" mission...

After the Azura mission, you basically had the chance to see a little bit of everything. Basic mission layout, ground combat, space combat, etc..

So what else do you want? If you want to play more, go buy the game. There isn't much of a reason to grant you any more than you do already get in the demo.
Personally, I think people who can't make up their mind after playing the demo are just cheap and basically want to play as much of the game for free as possible before dumping it.

Seriously, if the time you spent playing the demo wasn't enough to make up your mind... get a faster mind, but don't complain about wanting more for FREE.

It doesn't show you the things you NEED to make up your mind about an MMO. MMO: Massively MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game. They don't show you the community at all, they don't show you the advancement system much if at all. They don't show how the mission system *really* works (IE they show you one very clearly staged mission they don't show you how you go get a mission and what variety is available).

Like I said, playing the demo in its current state gives you the strong impression that something's behind the curtain.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
That's so not true, Starfire. I'm perfectly fine with P2P but I want to see if I really like a game and don't ditch it after a couple of more hours and blowing money on it. Yes, I didn't post and rage-quit, I'm interested in what subscribers think of it and bookmarked the thread ;-)

I mean, take EverQuest 2 for an example, it has (or had, didn't play in a long time) the "tutorial island", an island full of obvious and some hidden quests, collectibles quests, basic resources everywhere and you could play adventuring or crafting and level as much as you liked until level 10 or so. It's somewhat souped-up though, all the NPC have voice recordings for what they say, but that stops after you leave the island, so you end up having to read... almost a bit of deception

What made me play EQ2 was basically the lovely, detailed crafting system it had but it was dumbed down some time ago and I could do it as much as I wanted on that island.

EVE lets you play 14 or 21 (buddy trial) days with few in-game restrictions on skills you can train (and effectively ships and equpiment you can use), but you can chat publically, make friends, join corporations and are not limited in where you can travel. Though I think you can't post on the forums or use the contracting system which is bad if you're a forumperson.

A turn based strategy game lets you play for 500 turns, you can't change the map settings like size or number of planets but you experience the game rather unobstructed. An RTS lets you play through a tutorial AND a couple of missions or a time-limited skirmish.

I remember playing the Half-Life demo, it ended after you faced that really big and scary alien Admittedly, THAT was baiting but it was a really good game, too, and worth buying. So they let you play through a tutorial and a couple of missions.

STO is basically just a tutorial. Yes of course, I spent a fair amount of time customizing my character but I expected to spend a litte more time with it, hence Steam registered between 3 and 4 hours playtime, but that's nothing special tbh. You run through a soupled-up, linear tutorial (see EQ2) and then it doesn't even tell you it's over, it just asks you to buy the game already, in your face.

I feel that accusing people of only wanting to play THE GAME (hah, you lost it) for free, while that's not true, is pretty rude.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-29-2010, 08:25 PM
For what it is worth, I think they should let potential players download the whole game and play the first sector without restrictions beyond the first promotion and ship and be done with it.
Lt. Commander
# 16 Could be better..
08-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Evenin all, First time gamer.

I agree, it's way to short. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic looking game. Great controls, fairly simple to master in 10 minutes. But after an hour or so of game time, it was all over... I was left wandering around sector space being very, very bored. You wait a day to download the demo, expect it to be brilliant and give you some great insight in to the worlds of STO, but alas, your given a tutorial, one mission and to many restrictions. Come on Cryptic, let the potential subscriber experience the product, earn some cash, Customize their ships further, do another mission... Then slap that restriction in place! Guarantee that more people would happily jump in and start belting around the stars if they had a bit more control. I will eventually subscribe because the gameplay looks good, runs smoothly and appears to be constantly evolving, but others might not feel the same. No disrespect to anyone at cryptic etc but the demo lets you guys and all your work down.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenshiBat View Post
Without Zone chat you are protected from Massive Gold Farming spam.. which is nice..
But considering only one major GF was around spamming PMS and zone chat During Open Beta.
I see this as a deficit....
trust me, there's more than one now that the game has launched, not allowing zone chat for the demo is a necessary evil to keep them from creating more spam bot accounts.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
trust me, there's more than one now that the game has launched, not allowing zone chat for the demo is a necessary evil to keep them from creating more spam bot accounts.
So true.....
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I just downloaded the Demo. Things I did not like. Space The ships should have Free Movement of every direction. That a Real Turn off. Here why if the Space Shuttle can do a 360 in space to Check it heat sheild next to the Space Station a Star Trak Ship should also have the Same Control. It Pritty bad one of the Frist space games Elite has Better control then STO. No I am not talking about the slow turn rate becuse large ship and such that expected. Have a ship be able to turn upside down to use a differnt shield to protect it self. Or to be able to do a flip to turn around. Or face a ship for the Matter I had one above me and I had to fly up like a airplane and keep turning around to face the target. That what I am talking about.

Now I have to Agree with everyone the start of the game and one quest was a joke it dose not give me much info. The game Lord of the rings would have a 10 day trail or 15 day Trail. That person could level a Class or Differnt classes up to level 20 easy Which give some good preview of the game. They are also Making f2p Where people can play for free But would have to buy upgrades like Differnt Zones. Which is also a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Some people just want to play for free. They could have a 15 day demo and people would still say it's not enough. Nevertheless Cryptic should add 1 patrol mission, starbase 24, 1 DSE and a complete cluster exploration mission to the demo. That basically shows you what the game is about.