Lt. Commander
# 1 Joysticks
08-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Thinking about buying a joystick for this game but can't decide on whether it will work well with it or not. Does anyone have an insight as to whether they're good or bad?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I can only speak from personal experience, but I absolutely love using a joystick for space. For ground combat I still prefer mouse and keyboard. I have to agree with Tom Paris - you just get a better feel for flying.

It is a bit of a hassle to set up a stick, since it has to be translated into X-box controls first for the game to interpret the input. So you have to fiddle manually to /bind keys.
A small bonus: You can combine multiple buttons for some of your many commands.

One downside is that you cannot use the throttle for throttle. I guess fluid speed control would be a pain for serverside calculations. It can still register as an axis, so it might be used for some nice cinematic camera effects.
I read that camera controls is also trouble if you want to use your joystick hat. I have chosen instead to use the hat for shield boosting, and have a key for looking at my target (PS: I have not tried setting the hat for camera controls, so no guarantees it wont work).

I definately recommmend a stick. But if either of the above limitations annoys you, then save your money.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutsber
Thinking about buying a joystick for this game but can't decide on whether it will work well with it or not. Does anyone have an insight as to whether they're good or bad?
I think they show the ups and downs of using a controller on last week's episode of STOked. Maybe it will give you a few ideas about what it's like.
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=2578