Lt. Commander
# 21
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Old problem, especially around the neck area. Its an artifact of the way the modeling is done. The initial assumption was that everybody would have either a uniform that fit closely about the neck or one of the Klingon armored collars and so most of the texturing focus was on the head rather than the rest of the body. On some Klingon models, for example, when you remove the collar the head head reminds me greatly of an action figure with a very clear seam between the chest and the head/neck.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-20-2010, 09:22 PM
I would like to add that the Trill spots available for the Aliens are also broken, It only have the facial spots not the ones running down the body. It too has to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSpot
No problem. I went ahead and made a screenshot of it.
It's really clear on that screenshot that the legs are certainly missing spots at the bottom. My Trill normally wears the knee or thigh length boots, so without you pointing it out, I would've missed that. If you look closely at the shoes that come with the formal wear you can just make out the missing spots through the straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockup View Post
Old problem, especially around the neck area. Its an artifact of the way the modeling is done. The initial assumption was that everybody would have either a uniform that fit closely about the neck or one of the Klingon armored collars and so most of the texturing focus was on the head rather than the rest of the body. On some Klingon models, for example, when you remove the collar the head head reminds me greatly of an action figure with a very clear seam between the chest and the head/neck.
As they are going back through the old ship models and tidying them up (for example - the new Luna model looks great). Hopefully, they will eventually do another pass over the character models and fix all these missing textures and misaligned parts and do a general improvement in quality.

It's a shame these things weren't looked at from the start, especially as something as iconic as a Trill's spots. They are after all as important to a Trill as pointed ears are to a Vulcan and what makes a Trill stand out visually from something like a Human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
I would like to add that the Trill spots available for the Aliens are also broken, It only have the facial spots not the ones running down the body. It too has to be fixed.
That's a good point, I never thought to test out the spots on an alien to see how they looked. Thanks for pointing that out
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockup View Post
that is probably spot on! (forgive the pun)
Chances are, these are the edge of the texture maps. Talking from experience, I've done trill characters in Poser 8, it is very difficult to continue patterns like this between two maps, especially on a biological figure, you need to be able to line up the patterns perfectly. Chances are, if they had attempted this, it wouldn't look any better, and you guys would still be complaining about it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
that is probably spot on! (forgive the pun)
Chances are, these are the edge of the texture maps. Talking from experience, I've done trill characters in Poser 8, it is very difficult to continue patterns like this between two maps, especially on a biological figure, you need to be able to line up the patterns perfectly. Chances are, if they had attempted this, it wouldn't look any better, and you guys would still be complaining about it.
The only reason I'm pointing it out now (not complaining) is that it's obvious they took a shortcut on applying the textures. This in itself is fine, at the time the models were created, you didn't see the lower leg/ankle or the area around the collarbone due to the uniforms available.

However, they have since added costume and uniform options that clearly leave these areas visible. As a result the shortcuts they took on applying the spot textures are now clearly visible for all to see.

Whilst not gamebreakinig, it does leave the Trill model looking less then ideal. As I said previously, the spots are as Iconic to the Trill as pointed ears are to a Vulcan.

As for lining up the patterns. This shouldn't be a problem for the lower legs, which have nothing to line up with, they just need extending down to the feet. The only slight problem may be lining the torso and neck spots.

However as you can see from the picture I linked and the one CrimsonSpot linked. The spots almost line up already, all that's really needed is to extend those on the neck down a bit more.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-27-2010, 12:31 AM
/Bump.

We're still waiting for those Trill spots to be fixed
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I think Lockup is right. It definitely looks like the head/neck and the body textures were done separately when the more revealing uniforms came out and they had to have Trills wearing them. Guess nobody thought to check if their collarbone spots aligned with the existing neck/head spots.

I guess I'm an idiot for thinking that gap in the spots is normal.
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
Yes please fix this.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Bump for Dev lol. Be nice to get some feedback regarding this easy to fix issue.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Bump for Dev lol. Be nice to get some feedback regarding this easy to fix issue.
Agreed, unfortunately it seems the Devs don't comment much in this section. Maybe I should have posted this thread in the STO Discussion section instead :p