Lt. Commander
# 11
08-21-2010, 08:22 AM
I started my character in Early start as a human before the Liberated Borg was unlocked and I would love to be able to change over without losing any of my progress.
Lt. Commander
# 12 Race change
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Hmmm. I don't know about that.

It will probably be available in the C-Store like everyone says but....

I am 100% PRO- trait respec.
But change race?
...well, sure. Nothing else in STO seems to be static. So why not.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Perfect example of why this makes sense (even in-character/rp):

I began one of my primary Alts and wanted to play a federation Klingon, but at the time they didn't exist. So I chose "alien" and designed a Klingon from scratch. If I had kept that character, I would now want to use the "Klingon" race but could not because I created the character at game launch.

Many players (especially RPers) create races that are unavailable and would probably love to change race as soon as the desired race is unlocked/sold.

Race change might not be a bad idea for some folks. Just sayin' folks.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Well, didn't Seska appear to change races in Voyager? She really was a Cardassian, but was genetically altered to appear Bajoran, right? Fooled everyone until she was seriously injured and examined more completely.

Just weave some of that magic and presto! People can change races, and have it remain canon.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Didn't Odo change races twice?
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
Didn't Odo change races twice?
Odo is a CHANGEling, that doesn't count.

But in TNG, DS9 and Voy we have seen (non-permanent) race changes.
(To Mintakans, Malcorians, Bajorans Klingons, Romulans, Ensingn Kim to another Race [have forgotten the name], Cardassian to Human ... )
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Geez people, Race Change does not have to be canon or realistic or anything.
All it needs to be is just a plain change to another species.

I for one would love to see that, as i have an Orion i would rather remake as a science and change my current tactical Orion to a Klingon male, mainly after the awesomeness that is the sword of kahless. :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-23-2010, 02:18 AM
No, just no. Please draw the line somewhere in the C-Store. Race Change Tokens would be useful, but they make no in-universe sense. They also make no reason to bother with an Alt.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
No, just no. Please draw the line somewhere in the C-Store. Race Change Tokens would be useful, but they make no in-universe sense. They also make no reason to bother with an Alt.
Do you read before you post? They make sense if the race you designed wasn't available when you designed it (like my Klingon), or if you're genetically altered (like Seska or the Klingon spy in Trouble with tribbles). Lots of "in-universe sense."
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes, I read this thread before posting. I think we need some restrictions on customization in STO. I am getting sick and tired of people acting like they should be able to change whatever they want in this game. We can already wear non-standard uniforms and reconfigure our ships freely. The idea of Race Change tokens doesn't make any sense. A Human is a Human, you cannot change someones species via an operation. Please grow up and accept guidelines once in awhile folks instead of asking for more control over everything.

P.S. Genetic modification makes you appear to be another species in ST. They do not make you another species. So you would keep your old Traits and just change skins. I have a feeling it is far more likely that you and others would want to have the Traits of the new race too.