Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo Download....VERY Slow!
08-17-2010, 01:01 PM
I started the demo download quite some time ago and it is incredibly slow (35-65 kbps reported by the downloader). I have some other things to do on this particular machine tonight and was wondering if I can start and stop this download without having to start over. I am running a normal version of Internet Explorer with no external download managers that I know of.

If I can't is there a mirror available from somwhere that can offer better download speeds?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I had the same problem with the demo installer from the official site, checked over at FilePlanet and they have the "full" demo available so I downloaded it from there. Download took about 4 hours for a 8.59 GB zip file, but the download speed from FilePlanet was much faster than using the demo installer. After extracting and installing, the demo had to patch itself which took about 20 minutes. IF you don't like FilePlanet, then try searching with Google (or whichever search engine you prefer) for "Star Trek Online Demo", that should give you a few results to look at.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
What about if I stop the download? Will it pick up where it left off next time I start it up or would it have to start over completely?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Which download are you asking about? The demo installer can be cancelled at any time and will resume from where it left off the next time you run it, provided you don't delete any of the files it's downloaded. With FilePlanet you can use their Download Manager for any large file downloads and that allows you to pause and resume downloads easily.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I am using the cryptic downloader that opens a small window that has the corny looking guy from the box art in it. As far as I know it is just downloading into my regular "Downloads" folder.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
The Cryptic downloader is the one I refer to as "demo installer". When you run the downloader you're asked to select a folder to download files to. You can cancel the download at any time and the next time you run the downloader it will run a quick scan of previously downloaded files and then resume from where it left off. Just make sure that each time you run it you choose the folder where previously downloaded files are stored. I *think* it remembers the folder you first selected, but I'm not too sure on that as I gave up on using the Cryptic downloader because it was so slow.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-18-2010, 04:29 AM
the intail download of the installer (not the patching) is done with a simple bit torrent client (no encrytion or anything else to improve speed) also if there is not too many feeds or your ISP filter bit torrent it will slow the download.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Use something like uTorrent (www.utorrent.com / freeware) and get the torrent file:

http://installers.crypticstudios.com...704b.4.torrent

it is a lot faster than the other download on the STO website. Also I've had success with Steam instead of the STO site for downloading the client faster.