Lt. Commander
# 31
09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I get it with the updated GeForce GT 220 update drivers. It's bad enough that upon launching a 2nd STO game (later in the day after closing the previous) it causes a full computer shutdown. No bluescreen even... just blank screen and a busy HD for minutes on end (longest I've let it run like that is 15min).

Moving up to a higher refresh rate seems to make it stop but any changes are honestly anecdotal. It acts slightly different every time.

As to screenshots..

Any time I catch it flickering it either looks 'normal' or it's a completely black screenshot.

EDIT:

The only way I've found to deal with it is to revert to the previous driver.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Scot
The only way I've found to deal with it is to revert to the previous driver.
Yup i did the same and the flickering problem is gone,i had the 258.96 and reverted back to 197.45.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I had this problem also, with my GTX 470. I downloaded the 260.63 beta drivers and the the problem is gone (at least for me)!
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-21-2010, 04:35 AM
I have this same problem, using my Nvidia card, even after updating to the new beta drivers. Disabling shadows is the only thing that fixed it, thought it makes things look terrible. Still, choices are A) Shudder, shake and rubberband like a crackhead or, B) turn off my shadows.
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I've just installed a GTX 460 on a Win 7 64-bit machine, and installed the 258.96 drivers. I'm getting the same problem whereby when I'm on ESD the environment flickers between black and normal. The windows are fine though (chat, inventory, etc).

According to the nVidia site the latest 260 beta drivers were released only five days ago (as of today). I'm going to try them (without fannying about with any graphical settings in STO) and see how they work. I'll post my results here.

Lt. Commander
# 36
10-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Upgrading the drivers to the beta 260.89 version seems to have done the trick. I didn't mess about with the graphics settings (well, I actually put AA up to 8x but I didn't turn anything off) so I'd recommend people try them.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Windows 7 x64
Geforce 460

Just installed latest drivers "260.99" from Nvidia

FLICKERING IS GONE!

And overall the game looks much better, no more excessivly bright spots, no more strobe effect.

I still can't put shadows at max quality without getting some stuttering, but oh well I can crank everything else up.

Note: Just a CYA... I didn't stay in game long, just enough to warp to ESD and run around a bit, mess with a few options and not see any flashing. Now I need to go fix my brake lights on my truck. So consider this a 'preliminary' WOOT it's fixed!
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-26-2010, 08:20 AM
you guys tried using nHancer and gettin into the card settings for the STO profile (max out everything and only in Direct3D not openGL), maxing things out aswell as clocking the card to 851MHz with the Nvidia tools you can boost the cards performace in Graphics and at 1900MHz in Mem. at these settings i get 0 fps loss and only stutter when my net speed is slacking and i also have the latest drivers installed, this is a great way to boost your gaming experiance.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardolin-Vosh
Windows 7 x64
Geforce 460

Just installed latest drivers "260.99" from Nvidia

FLICKERING IS GONE!

And overall the game looks much better, no more excessivly bright spots, no more strobe effect.

I still can't put shadows at max quality without getting some stuttering, but oh well I can crank everything else up.

Note: Just a CYA... I didn't stay in game long, just enough to warp to ESD and run around a bit, mess with a few options and not see any flashing. Now I need to go fix my brake lights on my truck. So consider this a 'preliminary' WOOT it's fixed!
How often do nVidia release beta drivers? I only installed the .89 ones last week and there's already some new ones out it seems.

I've also had trouble with Mass Effect in that I get bright blue artifacts appearing whenever an NPC is sitting down on a bench or chair. Perhaps upgrading my drivers again will sort that issue out.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
you guys tried using nHancer.
I used to use nHancer, but it doesn't seem to run with Windows 7 64.

As has been said, the latest NVidia drivers released earlier in the week seem to do the trick. Both the flickering is gone and the intense bloom on some planets seems to be fixed as well. The game also seems to run a little quicker as well - my FPS has jumped from an average of 40 to an average of 50 (which on a laptop with an Nvidia 240m on med/high settings is pretty good).