Lt. Commander
# 11
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiric_hoshi View Post
STO is not a war game, it is an RPG. To quote wiki:

The ability to adjust your character's clothing is a fundamental aspect of character development, one of the primary definitives of an RPG, and so asking for a dress (so long as the dress fits the setting) is just as acceptable as asking for a new type of torpedo or a new ship.

This is just another case of "I don't want it so no one should have it".
I agree with your assessment of the overall subject and your point is taken... but even IF there were no mini-skirts or middy tank tops in this game, I really don't think it would have any impact on the overall "RPG"ness of the game. Lets be serious, if EVERY character wore the SAME EXACT CLOTHES... not much variety, but the game would still have just as many role-play elements to it.

The RP is up to the players, not their characters clothes (or lack thereof) LOL
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
It's kind of odd to me, that people would wear clothes that are 400 years out of style. Running around wearing 21st century formal wear in the 25th century would be like me going to a funeral or a job interview dressed as a pilgrim. I'd probably leave in a straightjacket. Makes me wonder if the next big costume release to hit the C-store will be a line of bicycle helmets. I do kind of feel like I need one, as I actually went and bought this costume pack...
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
You see people running around in holodeck costumes all the time in TNG/DS9/VOY :p
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
I Running around wearing 21st century formal wear in the 25th century would be like me going to a funeral or a job interview dressed as a pilgrim.
LOL, you know, you are exactly right!
Lt. Commander
# 15 Ever Watch TOS Once?
08-18-2010, 03:20 PM
The women are close to naked. This was very common in the TOS. They showed skin and a lot of it. The women's uniform were so tight if they bent over they would show there underwear. This was even caught on fllm and left in the show. You can see Star Trek Uhura doing just that.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't get the OP. The skirts and skimpy clothing are all locked (unless you're an Orion girl) somehow and the default is a full uniform that covers everything but the head and the hands. Nobody's forcing this lady to dress her character in a provocative manner.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I think the OP's point isn't that anybody is forcing her, just that the options of this game, and let's face it, most games where you can change clothing, or see clothing, well females get's less cloth for their money don't they?

Someone said earlier bluntly, that it's a majoritvly male community who want to see it, and it's true...But I think that just shows the sad state of people today...I mean honestly, who get's their rocks off watching some skimpy Orion Pixle character on STO barely dressed...I mean let's face it, if you wanna get all excited by half naked things, or heaven forbid, fully naked things on the internet there are actual websites for that kind of stuff, hell if you did the right google search you'll probably find real naked green women.

Now I have no problem myself if people really do want to wear these skimpy outfits, each to their own I suppose. But at the same time you'd think they'd design a none skimpy outfit to go with it to fill both ends of the scale...And what about Male skimpy outfits...I can assure you, there are people who like pixle women with nothing on and there are people who like pixle men with nothing on...why aren't they being catered for?
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
(That said, as much as I love the mirror universe and TOS uniforms with those skirts and that nice MU top... I can't use it seriously. For Risa it would work great, it would work on a Orion in the KDF, but not for a Starfleet officer.).
I've got one alien character that uses that top. Mostly because it shows off her muscles. With most of the outfits it's kind of hard to tell that a muscular female is muscular, and not just strangely proportioned.

RP-wise it kind of makes sense as her race advanced from iron-age to warp-age in about ten years after capturing technology from Orion slavers. Her race wasn't vulnerable to normal climate conditions on their home world, so they really didn't have a purpose for clothes that weren't armor, and their first contact with a star-faring race was with the Orions, so typical Federation standards of modesty probably don't make much sense to them.

That's my excuse anyway. The real reason is that with the MU top the character actually looks very muscular.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
All the basic uniforms are exactly the same for males and females. Only special ones (bonus or C-store) show skin, and they're primarily created based on user requests and/or Star Trek canon.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Well there is clearly a request here for an outfit which doesn't show skin from C-Store etc by the OP...and I believe I just requested skimpy male outfits! I want my Andorian in Speedo's please...