Lt. Commander
# 11
08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazick
I
Most companies would do a product recall and compensate the customers...Cryptic? They ignore us and let us carry on...I mean why am I not cancelling my subscription and boycotting the company like I would for anything else...more to the question, why aren't we all?
most of those people return their game at beta and just hoping the best. That one day STO would live up to its name or at least to the ads they had. Era of war, battles all round space and what we hope was open pvp areas to fight over planets. At this point if there was a boycott then good odds that the company may follow realtimeworlds. They made another MMO called APB that could be seen as on par with STO (at least at the time of the beta)

Realtime Worlds' Troubles Confirmed, Faces Liquidation

APB Studio Realtime Worlds is not doing so hot after poor reception to the big-budget game.

Rumors swirled last week that Realtime Worlds had to cut staff and was in financial trouble. Though some of the staff cuts were explained as that which many studios face after releasing a major product, this may not be the case after all as Develop has confirmed that the Scottish studio has entered administration, a UK concept not unlike bankruptcy.

Realtime Worlds' administrator, rescue firm Begbies Traynor Group, is now trying to save it from liquidation by finding an investor. The reveal of Project MyWorld, Realtime's social networking experiment, may have been an attempt to find a publisher to keep the studio in business, but it met with no luck.

Realtime's troubles came about due to the poor reception of APB, a five-year project with a budget rumored to be $80 to $100 million. One of Develop's sources said that 170 employees have been laid off, with 50 staying on to support those actually playing APB, but this is unconfirmed. 60 members of Project MyWorld's staff were definitely let go.

For now the studio's future is up in the air, with Begbies Traynor trying to save both the Scottish and U.S. offices. But without a project that will attract investors, and what some would consider a massive failure in APB, it's not looking good for Realtime Worlds.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...es-Liquidation

At least Cryptic has last a bit longer then Realtime worlds has. Which is a good sign.
Lt. Commander
# 12 Product recall
08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazick

Most companies would do a product recall and compensate the customers...Cryptic? They ignore us and let us carry on...I mean why am I not cancelling my subscription and boycotting the company like I would for anything else...more to the question, why aren't we all?
Sounds like they may have the same customer service groups that handles Toyota
Lt. Commander
# 13 Living Up to TREK
08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoVonCat View Post
most of those people return their game at beta and just hoping the best. That one day STO would live up to its name or at least to the ads they had.
I am beginning to form the opinion that Cryptic did not know what they were getting into when they accepted this project.
Correct me if I'm wrong (this is buried pretty far back in the old grey matter) but isn't Cryptic the 2nd company to attempt the STO project? Maybe it was Atari, but whatever the details, I recall a story I read somewhere that another developer attempted this game and failed miseably, and that was how Cryptic got the project.

Star Trek is a HUGE undertaking for anyone. There are few other institutions of any kind that have the rapid following of fans that Trek does. One of the most common things I hear on the boards is if some item from the game is canon or not.
Trek fans are aware of the facts of the ST universe - keenly aware.

Maybe Shatner's hairpiece is in charge and this is an attempt to take over the world.

And, to be fair, I do LOVE this game. I enjoy playing it and I do feel immersed into the STO unverse to a large degree. I'm not horribly concerned about canon, but it is important and it is part of what makes ST so popular - the HUGE amount of detail and continuity in the whole thing. People love it when they can reference one show to another. But I really don't care if some yahoo is flying around in the USS Lollipop and has a BIO that states that they are the 25th great granson of Jim Kirk's 3rd cousin on his mothers side or is the 32 thousandth Dread Pirate Roberts. (I may be killed in the morning for revealing that)

What is really eating me up is, as stated above, this appears to be a defective product and I should have some recourse or some reward for being a continual Beta Tester (a reward other than a tribble for a change)

And don't get me started on the C-Store - selling EVERY little content upgrade, including my pre-order exclusives!
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-19-2010, 03:35 PM
The point of all of this is no matter how many people decry those who have a problem with their beloved Cryptic and swear to stay no matter what, is that in the end when the shareholders smell blood in the water they will pull the plug. No more investors means cutbacks which leads to shortcomings in bug fixes, customer service and additional content. The game will whither and die along with any hopes for molding STO into an awesome Trek experience.

I have decided to hold out on my threats to leave for about 2 more months, after that I'm done if bug fixes for most problems are not in place. Rest assured there are many who will leave soon or already have. I can only wonder if this will lead to "free-to-play" and if so what implications that may hold for Cryptic and the players....
Lt. Commander
# 15 Restoring my Faith
08-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen
Restoring our Faith in STO I give you GM Nova!!

Somewhere in my ranting in game or out I have been heard!!
GM Nova has accomplished what no other GM has ever done!!
(S)He replied to my issue - and (S)he resolved it too!
After almost 100 days (I checked the date on my original submission) I have received my vindication!!
Now I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!!

I have restored faith in STO now.
All you other GM's take a note from GM Nova!! A little attention goes a LONG way!
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-23-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm hardly a fanboy, but I will say two things that may help:

1) sometimes apparently "simple" bugs are actually very deep-seated. I played an MMO once that had a broken elevator into a city, the back door. It was broken for almost 2 years. It turned out in order to fix it they had to re-write the entire elevator physics code. What players assumed was an easy fix was actually dozens of man-hours to fix.

2) it's better to say nothing than to say something wrong. If they give us a time, and can't meet it then they'll be crucified even worse for having not met their schedule than they would for a bug even a crippling one.

3) perhaps cynically, no sane company would broadcast or post in a conspicuous place a list of things that are not working. It would scare people away. Though perhaps it would improve cryptic's better business office rating if people didn't feel mislead as to the playability and state of the product.
Lt. Commander
# 17 Clarification
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphian View Post
I'm hardly a fanboy, but I will say two things that may help:

1) sometimes apparently "simple" bugs are actually very deep-seated. I played an MMO once that had a broken elevator into a city, the back door. It was broken for almost 2 years. It turned out in order to fix it they had to re-write the entire elevator physics code. What players assumed was an easy fix was actually dozens of man-hours to fix.

2) it's better to say nothing than to say something wrong. If they give us a time, and can't meet it then they'll be crucified even worse for having not met their schedule than they would for a bug even a crippling one.

3) perhaps cynically, no sane company would broadcast or post in a conspicuous place a list of things that are not working. It would scare people away. Though perhaps it would improve cryptic's better business office rating if people didn't feel mislead as to the playability and state of the product.
Seraphian - you make great points and with your comments being said, I wish to clarify what I mean.
I agree, a "list" of issues/errors would be detrimental.
When I say I want updates what I mean is this.
When you submit a trouble ticket, you get a reply in fairly short order.
It is a canned, copyed/pasted or auto generated statement that is given to EVERY ticket.
Then that is it... that's all you ever hear... EVER. Not even if the issue is solved. You never get any other response. They must assume that we all lurk on the message boards and follow every issue. I barely have time to play (why it's taken me 6 months to hit RA) where would I find time to pick through the boards?

What I'd have appreciated is at 30, 45 or maybe even as long as 60 days someone to update me and say something like, "Hey, we know your still having this problem but we are working on it. Thank you for your patience. - signed GM so and so"
That's it.

This particular ticket was open for 100 days.
None of my other toons had the error and all were working fine, just the one.

Based on admittidly circumstancial evidence it seems easy enough to understand why a player would feel ignored.
What I'd really prefer is if I have a ticket open for "X" number of days unresolved, un-updated that I get some type of reward - say a free month of play for being so patient. I don't need anymore damn tribbles (I have so many tribbles I feel like Kirk when they fall out of the grain storage bin on top of him... I keep having my engineer beam them to passing Klingon ships but they still multiply...)
Hey, maybe that's why they give tribble - They calm people down... stop them from flaming the boards...
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Everything cryptic touches turns to crap, any license, any concept. Trust me I've played three of their games now, I can't see any as long for this world. The one game they built that's still going (somewhat) strong only survived because cryptic signed off on it because of conflict of interest (city of heroes/villains).

I don't know how a company could possibly be such a massive screwup. But I have a good idea.

It's ego, pure and simple.

I played City of... during the cryptic days. There were dozens if not hundreds of things the players were begging pleading and cajoling for that cryptic said "didn't fit their design vision". They sign over the rights to NCSoft and low and behold, those things happen.

Cryptic said players would NEVER EVER EVER EVER be able to transfer characters villain to hero, hero to villain. Well guess what, this last update for CoV/H allows just that.

My issue was always with how they tried to force us to play like THEY wanted not how we wanted to play. listen up cryptic: You don't get that right, you don't get to tell players how to play.

Now they're limping along releasing products on the basis of strong licenses (Hero system/champions and Star Trek respectively) that are by all rights absolute abominations of a game but get sales based on a name.

Cryptic is taking a beating not only because of the fact that there's a thousand-poud gorilla in the MMO arena (World of ********) but based on the fact they have been limping along for so long that they cannot put the effort in that an MMO needs.

In short, they took what could have been cool and ruined it, not once but twice, by their overbearing ego and inability to LISTEN to the playerbase. Save your efforts here, you're shouting into the vacuum of developer ignorance and incompetence. In space, no one can hear you threaten to cancel.

And cryptic, if the latest economic depression (and yes it has gotten that bad) has taught the entertainment industry anything it's "recession proof? hah!" Give players a reason to come back or get ready to join the bread line. One bad release can kill a company, but two in a row and you're asking for it. Maybe you should sack some people and hire on new young talent that can compete in the supercompetitive modern MMO market, because your current designs are worthless. Get some people that are hungry for it, not people that rehash the same system over and over and turn quality licenses into professional embarassments.