Lt. Commander
# 11
08-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbx001 View Post
I think the current PvP is not providing the combat interaction I desire. It is too confining, and it makes me long for the Star Fleet Command days in the Dynaverse. Now I would hope Cryptic would be able to develop a scheme more exciting than turnig a hex blue, but the current system not what I was hoping for. Dev's, please give us an open PVP where real combat can take place for gains in territory/asset control and glory can occure.
hell yer thats it in a nut shell .... but you have the problem of the majority of carebears
im sorry but atm iv lost all interest in the game there is nothing to play for except a few poxy emblems
& a hand full of energy credits .

ITS TIME CRYPTIC STOP LISTENING TO THE CAREBEARS & GIVE US SOMETHING TO FIGHT FOR.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-20-2010, 12:30 PM
As a Trek game I am not surprised that people might prefer more collaborative activities while playing, like fleet actions, over typical PvP based on the nature of the source material and fans. I think the devs had a good idea in trying to create a PvP faction with the Klingons while going a more PVE route with the Federation to help players find the fun they want on a given day easily regardless of how it’s worked out so far… A little more thought and coding, then they can turn it into a good thing.

Understand, I enjoy friendly PvP and consider it a fun part of games when handled right. I got a character slot reserved for a Klingon for PvP when they get the kinks worked out of the system.

Rather than open PvP, perhaps having more factional warfare options on the Klingon side and other mission types (say advanced exploration) for the Feds to net purples would be a preferable solution to open PvP. They can always advance the story with season 4 or something to rationalize growth and change in play mechanics.

Variety is the spice of play.

Hearing the term care-bear here so reminds me of Eve… LOL!
Lt. Commander
# 13 Don't Water Down PvP
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Rather than open PvP, perhaps having more factional warfare options on the Klingon side and other mission types (say advanced exploration) for the Feds to net purples would be a preferable solution to open PvP
Saying this with respect, but with strong conviction: " I disagree." War is not friendly. War is completely unfair, And for PvP to be true PvP, it needs to have all the ugly characteristics of War. This includes making it sudden death matches, where once one is killed, they don't get to play the PvP until a victor is determined. To give it a greater dynamic, I would make alliances possible with all fractions, which means everyone could be friends at one time, and the universe would be at peace, but that is part of my wish list. So to get to the point, I think there is no substitute for true open PvP with territory/asset/resource control that has no respawning.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Saying this with respect, but with strong conviction: " I disagree." War is not friendly. War is completely unfair, And for PvP to be true PvP, it needs to have all the ugly characteristics of War. This includes making it sudden death matches, where once one is killed, they don't get to play the PvP until a victor is determined. To give it a greater dynamic, I would make alliances possible with all fractions, which means everyone could be friends at one time, and the universe would be at peace, but that is part of my wish list. So to get to the point, I think there is no substitute for true open PvP with territory/asset/resource control that has no respawning.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here. I wonder if this would in fact be a life long commitment on your part, (No Respawning, Ever), or if you were the first one to die out there, would you want the Respawning re-instated??
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar_Searcher
Just playing Devil's Advocate here. I wonder if this would in fact be a life long commitment on your part, (No Respawning, Ever), or if you were the first one to die out there, would you want the Respawning re-instated??

well they could have respawning but at the last port that you stayed at or fleet base.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
To put this into context, I am refering to Open PvP as a global conflict area. As for the current Qued PvP, this could continue for the opportunity to have single skirmishes with others, but it would not be part of the Open PvP. So when one dies in Open PvP, there would be no respawning till the current game in completed, which would be determined by the elimination of the forces on one side, or controling enough assets after a certain amount of time- say 2 weeks. So, if one is killed within seconds after accepting the mission to defend against hostile invasion, one can play the other parts of STO while watching the conflict unfold. I personally think most people wouldn't mind the heavy death penalty under these conditions. I know I could make a life long commitment to this scenario.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-22-2010, 01:21 AM
I subscribe to the made up aspect of "the war" with completely unwinnable goals is laughable.
Right now the fedderations with the bulk of the players could steam roll KDF.
The que system is whacked. The maps are stale. What is the point ? I only do PVP now because the rest of the game plays like a a solo player game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:
To put this into context, I am refering to Open PvP as a global conflict area. As for the current Qued PvP, this could continue for the opportunity to have single skirmishes with others, but it would not be part of the Open PvP. So when one dies in Open PvP, there would be no respawning till the current game in completed, which would be determined by the elimination of the forces on one side, or controling enough assets after a certain amount of time- say 2 weeks. So, if one is killed within seconds after accepting the mission to defend against hostile invasion, one can play the other parts of STO while watching the conflict unfold. I personally think most people wouldn't mind the heavy death penalty under these conditions. I know I could make a life long commitment to this scenario.
If I am understanding what you want to come about, You realy want the Klingons to be able to envade Serius Sector, Capture SOL System, and kill all the Feds there. If you kill a fed ship, you want it Kept Out of the fight until all feds are all gone. Isn't that the idea??

IMO, Completely Open PVP would drive most of the Player Base away. Most people do not want to spend every day of their lives being Pounded on, and Pounded on, and Pounded on. Open PVP is fine, if it is kept in a contained geographical area, that is restricted to not going out of that fence.

I played an MMO for 6 years or so that had PVP in most areas, and rules that governed Chalenging, Accepting, and Engagement. That worked fine for most players who were there. The largest of the servers that I ever saw for that game, (The servers were owned by the players, and were made available for others to play on), could only manage 150 players, and it was Laggy. This server system supposedly manages thousands of players, and has to break them up into groups in order to operate properly. Completely Open PVP in that type of operation is not realistic.

The Instance Mapping system here would make the type of PVP operations that you are asking for very difficult to emplament at best.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
If I am understanding what you want to come about, You realy want the Klingons to be able to envade Serius Sector, Capture SOL System, and kill all the Feds there. If you kill a fed ship, you want it Kept Out of the fight until all feds are all gone. Isn't that the idea??
Yep, your on the right track here. In addition to what was said above, there is a lot more. Like Fleets setting up a Base Station to defend that area of space, missions that include covert operations, attacking supply routes as a general daily, and the creation of a War Commander that would control all computer controled assets- I got this from Battlefield 2142, and it is very cool. The list is as long as my imagination.

Quote:
This server system supposedly manages thousands of players, and has to break them up into groups in order to operate properly. Completely Open PVP in that type of operation is not realistic.
I have heard this over and over again. Me personally don't attempt to assume I know what Criptic is capable of. I like to see how well Criptic can bring a dream to life. Of course the instance can be used in this case also. I would hope they maximize the size of the group in a single instance.

Quote:
IMO, Completely Open PVP would drive most of the Player Base away. Most people do not want to spend every day of their lives being Pounded on, and Pounded on, and Pounded on.
Here you missed my point completely. No one is forced to do PvP at all. It will be a mission like any other of the numerous missions Starfleet has. The one kink is that if no one accepts the mission, then one of two things can happen. 1. No war occures. This means no one attacks another and there is peace. 2. If one side attacks enough to initiate a condition of war, that side can win after defeting the standard computer controled assets. I think would be an awsome addition to STO, and it most likely would bring in more players by expanding it beyond us diehard trekies.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Here you missed my point completely. No one is forced to do PvP at all. It will be a mission like any other of the numerous missions Starfleet has. The one kink is that if no one accepts the mission, then one of two things can happen. 1. No war occures. This means no one attacks another and there is peace. 2. If one side attacks enough to initiate a condition of war, that side can win after defeting the standard computer controled assets. I think would be an awsome addition to STO, and it most likely would bring in more players by expanding it beyond us diehard trekies.
I guess where the seperation would be is in the interpretation of OPEN PVP. As I have seen it posted several hundred times, it would be all out Mayhem through out the Galaxy, with every player trying to kill every other player. If that is not your defenition of PVP, then there in lies the seperation between our thought paterns.