Lt. Commander
After the release of Season 2.0 I was keenly interested in the new Federation Diplomacy Corps (FDC). There is a profound lack of documentation/info on how this works, but with Stonewall's help (this link/info is currently a bit outdated), and just diving in and figuring things out on my own, I was able to make it to Federation Ambassador. Here are my thoughts on that trip:

The 8 FDC Story Missions:
The Missions at Bajor, MemAlpha, SB39, and Vulcan were great! I had fun performing these, even when I failed (and yes, there is a chance of failure requiring you to start over!). They have a bit too much running from contact to contact, especially on Vulcan, but it's tolerable. Total Thumbs up here people. Well done!

My only advice would be that as they take longer/require more effort than your typical DI, and since Ambassador Jiro Sugihara won't dispatch for further investigations, it would be proper for these eight starter missions to advance the player to 160 Federation Diplomacy Experience (FDX) points and the rank of Attache. I would recommend something like this:

Bajor/Standoff = 25 FDX
MemAlpha/A Taste of Home = 10 FDX
MemAlpha/Shady Supplies = 15 FDX
MemAlpha/Hostile Takeover = 15 FDX
MemAlpha/Family Ties = 15 FDX
MemAlpha/Quarantine = 30 FDX
SB39/Trade Deal = 25 FDX
Vulcan/Ancestral Sin = 30 FDX

Regarding the Pre-Existing Beytan and Celes Missions: I hear on Tribble those gave lots of FDX, but are now only 10 each and not retro'd. They should be Retro'd and each worth more than a typical DI (like above, more time/effort, more FDX). 160 FDX is too much, but 20 each would be fine.

Diplomatic Investigations:
I had to take 122 DIs in my Grind to Ambassador. And let me tell you, it is a GRIND! There are only so many Computer Investigations, Carnivorous Plants (some that look like Roman Columns, lol), Non-Corporeal Beings, Missing Scientists, Magic Cocoons, Aid the Planets (well, I liked these - They were fast and gave a reward), and Beam Shooting Precursor Artifacts that a body can run around to. I suppose they would be better if the stories were even a little different than the Daily Grind we've had for months before S2 because of lack of content, and will have for months to come to get Emblems.

Alas, they are the same ol' boring run here scan, run there, scan, run back over here, oops, that's an anomaly, scan, back again over there, scan, etc. Repeat. Lame. The difference now is we get 10 FDX for each of them.

This part of the FDC sucks. There's nothing I can really say to make it better. Thumbs down, all the way.

I turned it into a game with myself to work on my Accolades. Talking to Jiro and flying from Cluster to Cluster (mostly avoiding B'Tran all together), so I was fulfilling old Explorer Accolades and playing with the new Scanner Mini-Game to get the Trace Tracker Accolade (Success!).

First Contacts:
Between Envoy and Ambassador Jiro only gave me four of these missions. With the possibility to score either 10 or 20 FDX, I scored 20 on my first two, 10 on my last two. Considering they take longer/require more effort than a DI, I'd recommend they should be worth minimum of 20, and you get 30-40 if you do well.

These sound exciting when you read about meeting new races, but I was disappointed. They weren't *BAD* per se, but it was very canned. The aliens have different names and appearences (basically, someone hits the Random button in the the Alien Creator), but that's pretty much where the differences stop. On each FC, I traveled to the Hromi Cluster. I warped into the same looking sector after clicking the blue FC button. I met with a ship in the same-looking planetary system.

I went to my observation deck to meet the Noodlenoggins (The Obs deck looks cool, BTW, I wish it were a room we could visit regularlly as part of our Ship's Interior, and I don't see why not... ???). There are six Noodles each time, all standing in the same locations/poses, talking to my same BOs. You go up and talk to the Diplomat, Attache, and Envoy, then Ambassador. The first three feed you background on their race (and sometimes it's conflicting info between them, and/or is the same info I got on a previous FC, it seems they are literally cut'n'pasting in monologue paragraphs), the later asks you questions, and gives you multiple choice answers. About half the time I felt the questions/answers made sense based on what was taught from the first three, in other cases, the answers were utter non-sense when compared to the question at hand, so all you could do was guess. Sometimes there was a "Star Trek" or "Earth" Trivia question, again, one that didn't make any sense to the "theme" of these creatures. Then the mission was over, you talk to Jiro, and you get you rewards and leave.

I'm afraid I have to give this a thumbs down. I mean it's ok, it's got potential, but needs so much more polishing to be ready for prime time.

Rewards:
As you progress you get Accolades (and points) and new Titles for each rank. Those are nice.

At Envoy you get the Diplomatic Immunity. Which appears to be completely useless and/or broken/bugged (It's ok if it also targets friends, but it needs to target self).

You also get some sort of Voting Rights at DS9, but when you go there you're told there's nothing to vote on, when there's a quorum, to come back. So, uh, ok... Another worthless/pointless thing.

Now for the good rewards: Transwarps. As you rank you'll get TW Powers to DSK7, SB39, and DS9. Excellent, except for the fatal flaw that they share a 30min cool down amongst themselves and the pre-existing Captain TW to Sol. And they don't recharge when not in space. This should be fixed (please bump this thread if you agree).

Uniform - You get a new Diplomat shirt at Ambassador. It's great looking. Would be better if it came with it's own cosutme slot (no you have to pay the C-Store if you want more) and you could edit all the colors. I haven't personally tried, but I understand it's only available for female BOffs, that males can't have it (likely a bug). Still, thumbs up.

The coolest reward (in a purely geeky way), is that as Ambassador, you get access to a Klingon Faction Bridge Officer. Now it's only a Common BOff, so don't expect any amazing traits, but you do get access to the Klingon clothing. This includes the option to make a scantly clad Orion Slave Girl. Mine is shy and even if assigned to the Bridge, she never shows up (making it difficult for me to show her off ). Oh well, still gets a thumbs up!

All in all, I'd give the FDC a C grade. That's Average/Passing. Make advancement to Attache possible via story missions alone (either increase the existing's value or make more). This is a must. And add any one more of my suggestions above, and you get a B- grade. I had high hopes for the FDC, but if you want anything more than that, you're really going to have to do something about the DI Grind, because that drains away so much fun from what could be very awesome!

More Future Food for Thought:
According to Wiki, after Ambassador, it appears the next rank would be "Ambassador-at-Large"... Oh, and an Ambassador's title is commonly His/Her Excellency. Sweet! Now that would be cool to have.

I noticed that even though I've reached Ambassador, I'm still earning FDX (though for next rank it says n/a). It would be neat if they eventually added more unlockables... the His/Her Excellency titles for example, more TWarps (MemAlpha, BGO, future locations...), perhaps more alternate faction BOs (and/or Uncommon-Very Rare ones), more uniforms... Or even unlock a +1 character uniform slot for the existing Dilpomat Jacket. All these would be great additions to the Corps.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-18-2010, 03:34 PM
I went over to Admiral Karebbah ("Carebear"?) at DS9 this morning at 6:05a (PDT). And she said:

Quote:
I'm sorry, Ambassador.

The Federation Diplomatic Corps voting bloc is not active at this time. Please return when we have a quorum to cast your ballot.

Diplomatic activities are typically scheduled to take place at the top of every other hour.
Apparently I have to come back at 7a (PDT).
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Oh, and an Ambassador's title is commonly His/Her Excellency. Sweet! Now that would be cool to have.
Not quite. American Ambassadors do not take the title "Excellency" since it is based on European titles. Instead, American Ambassadors are addressed as Mr./Mrs. Ambassador. In Star Trek, all Ambassadors are addressed as "Ambassador." See Sarek, the Klingon delegation, etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-19-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm just coming back from a three month break...I was wondering, I've done all the diplomatic storyline missions with my Admiral. I can't get enough DXP to advance. I did not get any retro DXP for all the patrol missions etc... that I did while leveling up before diplomacy was introduced in-game. How can I advance to Attache if I can't get Diplomacy missions from Jiro? Are there other random diplomacy missions located somewhere I can do?
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphan13 View Post
I'm just coming back from a three month break...I was wondering, I've done all the diplomatic storyline missions with my Admiral. I can't get enough DXP to advance. I did not get any retro DXP for all the patrol missions etc... that I did while leveling up before diplomacy was introduced in-game. How can I advance to Attache if I can't get Diplomacy missions from Jiro? Are there other random diplomacy missions located somewhere I can do?
the only other way is to go to the exploration star clusters and hope the diplo maps show up: these are the maps where you shoot no-one (other than scan 5 anomolies). Even when the missions form jiro show up: they are not regular and there can be a considerable time gap between getting one mission and the next.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-20-2010, 02:05 AM
I agree 100% OP. Just got to Envoy and it was a STRUGGLE to keep going. I hope they add more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-22-2010, 03:34 AM
I think the way Dip Corp is done is Ok. and leave room for improvement.

but i think Cryptic should rethink the rank. so they got room for improvement. because now that i'm ambassador what's next? should I be boder to do dip corp mission now that I reach the top?

also see http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=2969970
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-22-2010, 05:43 AM
i'll agree with the grind being a GRIND. I spent the entire weekend doing nothing but DI of various types. saving the missions for when I had done all the DI's and had to wait on new stuff. gettnig first contact missions were few and far between and while fun, needed to have more out there to lessen the load of the grnid in my opinion. Unfortunately I can't think of anything to make it better either except maybe shorter the timer on First Contact missions, or maybe toss in some variety to the first contact missions. the problem is the DI's cover a lot of it. the only big disappointment would be going to do a DI only to find out after you start it..that its not even a DI because you have to fight things, which negates your Dip XP (I ran into this five times during my weekend long grindfest)

while the OP says thumbs down, I actually liked it (and never once scored less than max points) my biggest problem is these are so few and far inbetween that it was a chore. if your grinding to get to ambassador like I did, you practically have to NOT count on these and just be happy when you get them. if nothing else it gives you a break from the "run here, scan that" of the grindfest that is the dip mish's.

teh OP is off though Envoy is when you get dip immunity, though it is kind of sucky that you cannot target yourself. and i've noticed several times that even doing it, the enemies like to ignore it. my fleet was running missions and had one of our lower levels join us in the bajor quad. I meet him at the zone in and buffed him and as we flew he was still getting chased, even though he had dip immunity.

i'll agree though on the transwarps, course i'm nearing Vice Admiral so the transwarps are not so helpful at my level but it would be nice if either the cooldown was broken so that they dont link with each other..or it is shortened and recharges. lots of ground combat at higher levels.

I have to agree with the coolest award though, and I still hope they are trying to do the whole "bridge officer to captain" and allow ambassadors to make their new character their klingon character. this would, at the very least, make the grind worth it.

all in all, while I dont agree with the OP conserning the faults nessecarly, I will agree with the grade. the grind to get there, especailly without a retrospec if you did the mission before dip core came out is just horrific. teh KDF officer makes it worth it, but i'm not entirely sure i'd be able to pull myself up to do it again. that was painful.

as far as future unlocks however, i'd totally toss my thumbs up to the idea of more BO's. expand them out a bit. let the other factions be seen like the romulans, Jem'Haddar, or even just give us access to better KDF officers (uncommon/rares) with upgraded traits.

however I will say this I admire and appreciate the fact that once you do hit ambassador you are able to choose the bridge officer of your choice. its not one of those "grats you leveled now choose a bridge officer as a reward" and its only 1 bridge officer so its not like you have a choice (really need to fix that btw) you actually get to pick your race/sex/profession so those who want Orion men can take them, or orion women, ect ect ect. this was a great job that the developers could have gone cheese on us and gave us like the bridge officer rewards and lamely stuck us with 1 officer adn we'd have to like it weither we wanted them or not. instead they went teh extra mile to give us our own personalized choice. so kuddo's for that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphan13 View Post
you actually can still get them from Jiro..once your done its on a timer..like 30-45 minutes. after that it refreshes and you just have to continue on getting them. you can also go into B'tran and just hope you get lucky but this is more neck breaking than waiting out Jiro's timer to reset. if you do all the dip missions and he has none left..I suggest you go play Dabo or something for a few turns..he'll reset soon and you start the fun of the grind all over again.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-22-2010, 08:33 AM
i think it's more geared toward people with new toons. I just started a newer toon with my wife the other day and I'm advancing along quite nicely just by doing the regular missions.

For anyone with an existing toon (just finished DC on my VA) it is nothing but a power grind.