Lt. Commander
# 1 Dabo, Holo Emitters and You!
08-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Unless I have totally Misunderstood what people have been telling me... The Holo Emitter's are absolutely worthless. You spend X amount of time to gain X amount of an otherwise worthless item (Gold-Pressed Latinum) that you can then use to 'purchase' an extraordinarily over priced and even more worthless item that lasts...

15 minutes (and is then gone forever).

As a coin sink it works for those who have no clue the Emitters are only temporary (thus totally worthless -vs- the time/expense to gain them).

I think Cryptic needs to reconsider their options for these. As I don't like to critisize w/o also offering suggestions for improvement, let me make the following suggestions for your consideration.

A few options come to mind.

Multiple Use and Recharging.

Multiple Use:

Make the Emitters Multiple use (though still use limited).

Example,

The lower tier, make them 5 uses (15 minutes ea)
The Lower Middle tier, make them 7 uses (15 minutes ea)
The Upper Middle tier, make them 10 uses (15 minutes ea)
The Upper tier, make them 15 uses (15 minutes ea).

This puts the emitters more in line with the time/effort/cost to gain them.

Recharge:

Make the Emitters rechargeable...

For an appropriate amount of Gold-Pressed Latinum, Quark will be happy to recharge the battery on your Holo Emitter allowing you to use it again. This of course costs less than the original purchase of your Emitter, while still allowing you to re- use it.

Recharge, Multiple Use, Battery Upgrade:
(my preferred method)

Your Holo Emitter is purchased originally with a 1 use rechargeable battery, but for the appropriate amount of Gold-Pressed Latinum we can upgrade your battery to a more advanced storage unit, allowing you to use your Holo Emitters several times before the battery will need to be recharged. Higher grade Emitters require a higher grade battery and thus the more expensive emitters have more expensive batteries that can be purchased for them. And of course, they also require more energy to run, so the recharge fee is also greater.

*edit* You can also make the Holo Emitters permanent, but the Batteries use/ Recharge limited (and thus requiring your rechargeable batteries to be periodically repurchased as they wear out [much like Ni-Cads today]).

I hope these ideas are met with some approval as the current state of the Dabo prizes is so ridiculous that it is honestly not worth playing Dabo, even for the accolades.

~Captain Mando Rais Dewcap, Terran Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-19-2010, 12:40 AM
I think they should be reusable permanently as costly as they are. Or else lower the cost and let them be use once or x number of times.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeidan
I think they should be reusable permanently as costly as they are. Or else lower the cost and let them be use once or x number of times.
I think the idea behind them is as a coin sink. As such it works, but the current state of it is broken in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-19-2010, 04:13 AM
I think they're cool. And if it runs out, just get another one. They're not exactly hard to get.

I've had mine a while, and I've still got about 9mins left on it. They don't run out that quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveywavey View Post
I think they're cool. And if it runs out, just get another one. They're not exactly hard to get.

I've had mine a while, and I've still got about 9mins left on it. They don't run out that quickly.

They run out in 15 minutes of use. That is 'quickly' in my book. As for not hard to get, lets see... it's taken me several hours of Dabo playing to get enough GPL to purchase the cheapest Holo Emitter, that lasts... 15 minutes. Several hours of effort, and about 30,000 - 40,000 EC (roughly) to acquire something that lasts a few minutes.

While the effort isn't exactly hard (click, spin wow I made 50 GPL.. click spin, wow I made 10 GPL, click spin wow I made 200 gpl).. the time involved to do so, is shall we say.. a bit much for the actual reward.

I'm not exactly amused at playing Dabo. It is boring as hell. It would still be boring as hell even if the rewards were more in line with the time/effort/cost it takes to get anything that was actually worth having (read this as.. actually stays around after purchase). That is the point of this post.

You have to spend easily several hours of your time to get something that vanishes after you have used it for 15 minutes. Just not worth the effort, thus my suggestions for possible changes made to the Emitters to bring them more in line with something that is worth the time, effort, and expense of going after.

Furthermore if the Dabo table is a coin sink like I suspect it is, my suggestions will still make it a coin sink, and in fact make it more of one as people will spend more time playing Dabo once they realize the item they have doesn't vanish but can be recharged, or used more than once.

Most people stop playing Dabo after finding out the Holo Emitters are gone after 15 minutes of use, and never bother going back to it. Make it so it can be recharged and I am pretty sure Cryptic will find their coin sink to be working exceptionally well shortly after.

Heck.. they can even do a test run. Introduce a special Holo Emitter that takes a rechargeable battery with limited recharges on the battery. After the battery runs out of charges, it has to be recharged for a few thousand GPL or a new one purchased for a few thousand GPL. See how fast the Dabo tables start picking up and how much EC's start going into them. The amount of coding needed to add such a change shouldn't be very large or hard to do, and they end results should be gratifying to both Cryptic and the players.

As it stands right now, the only thing the Dabo Table and it's rewards are good for, is seeing how stubborn (or stupid) players are to get an accolade or some worthless pieces of garbage that cost both arms, and your left nut to get.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Personally I think the way SWG's (yes I dared to say it) holo emitters work makes more sense.

In this version, you have two types of items:

A holo disc (contains the image of the hologram)
A holo emitter (emits the image of the hologram)

Holo discs are perminant - they are never consumed but have a timer.
Holo emitters are consumable

So in order to use them, you place the holo disc into your ship slot and activate the disc from your powers bar. If the disc's timer has run down to 0, the disc will only emit the holo image if there is an emitter in your inventory - in which case, the emitter is consumed and the disc gains its 15 minute cooldown.

That way the price of the current ship holo's can remain the same, while a far cheaper emitter device allows them to be re-usable and retains a coin/time sync so therefore it is 15 minutes per-holo emitter, with a holo emitter costing something like 1,000 gold pressed latinum.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwindspirit
As for not hard to get, lets see... it's taken me several hours of Dabo playing to get enough GPL to purchase the cheapest Holo Emitter, that lasts... 15 minutes. Several hours of effort, and about 30,000 - 40,000 EC (roughly) to acquire something that lasts a few minutes.
Several hours for just the cheapest?! You must be doing something wrong!

I spent about 45mins when I did it, and was then able to buy the cheapest Holo Emitter and the most expensive. 45 mins of effort, and EC don't really mean much anyway cos everyone has so many, to acquire something that lasts 30mins and looks fun and funky. Awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree with the OP ..
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Several hours for just the cheapest?! You must be doing something wrong!

I spent about 45mins when I did it, and was then able to buy the cheapest Holo Emitter and the most expensive. 45 mins of effort, and EC don't really mean much anyway cos everyone has so many, to acquire something that lasts 30mins and looks fun and funky. Awesome.
I'm calling pure ******** on you there Davey. No way in hell you only spent 45 minutes playing Dabo and came away with more than 130k GPL unless you popped the 15k -200k Dabo's to do it with.

As for I must be doing something wrong.. lets see..... Kinda hard to do something wrong with a computerized game with set perimeters like Dabo... So I guess your statement there is just a representation of your ignorance and/or stupidity.

Three bets, 100 EC each, average payout is about 25 - 150 GPL per spin (this includes the 1000k GPL Dabo's that happen about every 25th spin or so), times 1 spin every 35 seconds (I timed it)

Cheapest Emitter 20000 GPL, That works out to approx 130 - 800 spins at approx 35 seconds a spin. So that works out to approx 5 hours tops to 75 minutes quickest just for the CHEAPEST Emiter.

That last 15 minutes, not 30 minutes.

Work out the math... I did.

Of course, if you win one of the 15k Dabo's or better then it takes less time. But to straight grind through it w/o a Dabo you are looking at over an hour at least and up to 5 hours at worst.

So bub, what you said was pure fabrication and ********. Go tout your particular brand of idiocy somewhere else if the best you can come up with is ******** backed up by wishful thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 10 I've lost it
08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:

OK I had 12 old 'prototype' consoles
I got like 6M for them.
I don't play debo
I don't use the 'over-priced' holo-emitters

Tell me then what good is my gold???
Closed Thread