Lt. Commander
# 1 Stuck at Retreiving maps
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Early toady I was able to log onto STO just fine from both of the computers in my home. Starting two hours ago I can log into the character screen but the get stuck at "retreiving maps". It happens on both of my computers at the same time. My internet connection is fine as I can log on here and other web sites. I rebooted one of my computers and ran virus scan on it. All of that was fine. i still can't get past that screen. Any thoughts or help? I figure its got to be on cryptics end but no one esle seems concerned so I don't know. I am getting a little frustrated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Just because you can do web traffic does not mean there not problem on game packets

do a tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com
and a nettest post the results. if you find that later you can get in fine do the test both during when you can and can not continue.

Nettest:
Go to http://files.champions-online.com/nettest.exe
Download this file and run it
A command prompt should appear running the test automatically

For good connections, column 1 and 3 have values around 500 kb/sec (outgoing/incoming), column 2 has values around 20 kb/sec (transfer rate). If the values in these columns is less than what is expected you may have filtering or blocked ports either on your personal network or from your ISP.

also include a dxdiag report.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok I will do that Pegasus.

Guess I don't understand how I could be fine earlier in the day and then not fine when nothing on my end changed. Not tech savy enough I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-19-2010, 07:37 PM
One thing that ISP do is they vary thier traffic management setup . One setup is to have restricter controls during peak time and then a less strick times during non peak times.

so you may be affected by that and doing the test at different times would help to see if this is the case.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
One thing that ISP do is they vary thier traffic management setup . One setup is to have restricter controls during peak time and then a less strick times during non peak times.

so you may be affected by that and doing the test at different times would help to see if this is the case.

Ok.. thanks I will do that when I get home.