Lt. Commander
# 1 Some notable ship omissions.
08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Now I understand that SoL is set in the alternate universe, that's all well and good.

But I posted once on the beta forums way back when I was testing about the notable mishmashing of historical eras and ship types.

I mean you have very modern Defiant-class ships fighting right beside comparatively ancient (presumably refitted) designs like the Constitution-class.

So I ask, where are the other legacy and important designs? I mean there's the (ancient-by-now) Miranda-class and Constitution-class fighting right beside the Defiant and Galaxy classes, where are the contemporaries and precursors to the Consitution Era?

I want my Oberth dangit! The Oberth, the Baton Rouge, the Excelsior, they were contemporaries of the ships already in-game (notably the Constitution era) but are sadly unrepresented. Now I'm not about to complain about the fact a venerable Miranda-class has the same stats as a ship hundreds of years newer, but I wish more of the classic and recognizable ships of Starfleet were included.

The Oberth was the first starfleet vessel I ever commanded in a Star Trek video game (in Starfleet Academy for the Super Nintendo). I would GLADLY pay the cryptic points to be able to command one of the most significant science ship designs in Star Trek history. Not to mention the first ship to EVER feature the interchangable mission module system later used in the Reliant and many other federation light-ship (frigate-scale) designs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I do not believe this game is set in an alternate universe. That being said, the Oberth class is my favorite starship design. We can dream...
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Wambundu! And Daedalus! Yes PLZ!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
I do not believe this game is set in an alternate universe.
It is not, but people keep thinking that it is.

I wish STO had taken a harder stance with ships and uniforms in the game, but that argument was lost a long time ago. If they are going to add the NX Enterprise class of ship, they might as well put the Oberth in there too eventually. I would also like to see an Akula Class or variant of one.

Oberth class ships do not seem to have a lot of good luck.

Federation Cruisers are getting 2 canon ships added soon, so it seems like a place to start with canon ships for science (Oberth) and tactical (Akula). Galaxy-X has been added and the Enterprise - J is even on its way. I think the Dauntless Class from VOY "Hope and Fear" could be added for science vesicles. It would not detract from the hodgepodge of ships STO is going to become.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Where's my Daedalus-class???

I mean if we can get NX which pre-dates the Federation then surly we can have a ship from the Romulan War.
Who wouldn't want to patrol the Neutral Zone in that thing ... just rubbing it in for the Battle of Cheron.

Lt. Commander
# 6
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I would like a Bonaventure class please....
Lt. Commander
The D-7 were still being used in the DS9. I pointed out the the star trek constitution class was to be in TNG. It was even in the script. The Stargazer was to a constitution class it was only because a error by one of the actors it was changed. Please let us not forget the DS9 show "HOMEFRONT" were a OLD Star Trek Excelsior class refit fought the Defient to standstill. Want More ? The Oberth class wich appeared in Star Trek III was still being used in TNG. Want the show? "The Pegasus" and that was not the only time a Oberth class was used. The Stargazer class was in service for 97 years. Plus the Enterprize-D was refit with no change to aperance so what a ship my look like has nothing to do with anything.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
The D-7 were still being used in the DS9. I pointed out the the star trek constitution class was to be in TNG. It was even in the script. The Stargazer was to a constitution class it was only because a error by one of the actors it was changed. Please let us not forget the DS9 show "HOMEFRONT" were a OLD Star Trek Excelsior class refit fought the Defient to standstill. Want More ? The Oberth class wich appeared in Star Trek III was still being used in TNG. Want the show? "The Pegasus" and that was not the only time a Oberth class was used. The Stargazer class was in service for 97 years. Plus the Enterprize-D was refit with no change to aperance so what a ship my look like has nothing to do with anything.
- That's not the reason it was changed. The reason they chose Constellation class was because they filmed parts of it before they went and made a model, and Constellation sounded enough like Constitution that they could drop the new word in easily in post production.

- The Tsilkovsky (probably spelled that wrong) was an oberth and was shown in the second episode of the show, IIRC. With the new strain of the Psi 2000 virus.

- The Stargazer class? I think you mean the Constellation class. Which Picard's USS Stargazer was. The Stargazer class (which is named for the Stargazer) is a bit different. And you can fly it in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
I do not believe this game is set in an alternate universe. That being said, the Oberth class is my favorite starship design. We can dream...
If it's not set in the alternate universe from Star Trek (the reboot movie) then the opening cinematic with Spock talking about the destruction of Romulus and Remus makes very little sense. He even talks about being sucked through the black hole in the intro movie.

Note: I'm not sure when it was added to the game, I know the cinematic wasn't in early retail, so it's possible many people have not seen it. But it does show scenes from the AU reboot.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphian View Post
If it's not set in the alternate universe from Star Trek (the reboot movie) then the opening cinematic with Spock talking about the destruction of Romulus and Remus makes very little sense. He even talks about being sucked through the black hole in the intro movie.

Note: I'm not sure when it was added to the game, I know the cinematic wasn't in early retail, so it's possible many people have not seen it. But it does show scenes from the AU reboot.
That was the crossover point.

In the Prime Universe, Romulus and Remus are in fact destroyed. Then, Spock travels into the Alternate Universe via the blackhole he opened up to disapate the remaining shockwave from the hobus explosion.

In the Alternate Universe, Romulus and Remus are still intact, but Vulcan is destroyed by Nero.