Lt. Commander
# 11
08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
IFederation Cruisers are getting 2 canon ships added soon, so it seems like a place to start with canon ships for science (Oberth) and tactical (Akula). .
Akula class is not a canon class.

Some canon classes we ARE missing however,

Challenger class
Freedom class
New Orleans class
Springfield class
Niagara class
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
That was the crossover point.

In the Prime Universe, Romulus and Remus are in fact destroyed. Then, Spock travels into the Alternate Universe via the blackhole he opened up to disapate the remaining shockwave from the hobus explosion.

In the Alternate Universe, Romulus and Remus are still intact, but Vulcan is destroyed by Nero.

You're right, I totally missed that Vulcan was still on the map.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Every ship we've ever seen in Star Trek should make it into this game at some point. I don't expect it over night, but they are adding ships and I don't think they should stop. It's a Star Trek game, we all have favorite ships that really want to command and there is no reason not to include them.

You could rattle off a ton of rational reasons why older ships would be active at this time in the game. The older ships were decommissioned and put in moth balls like every navy does with old ships today, and now that the federation is facing war on all sides they are manning them and sending them out into the fray. Or they are still building these older classes with newer materials for lighter duty work but the war has changed their role. Or these older classes are still serving because of longevity of the design. Today B-52s that are still being used are 60 years old, the US air force plans on flying them for another 10 years. The last US battle ship was decommissioned in the late 90s serving for over 60 years and is still floating in case we need it someday. Now if today we can keep 70 year old planes flying, and 80 year old battleships floating both at full fighting strength, I would think 400 years from now we could keep star ships running for well over 150 years.

All of it is beside the point though because it is just a game and people wanna play with all the ships they can get their hands on, so here we are.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post

Challenger class
Freedom class
New Orleans class
Springfield class
Niagara class
WAMBUNDU! It's also missing! Say it with me now ... WAM ... BUN ... DUUUUUUUUUUU!
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-20-2010, 04:38 PM
QUOTE=superchum;2966320]- That's not the reason it was changed. The reason they chose Constellation class was because they filmed parts of it before they went and made a model, and Constellation sounded enough like Constitution that they could drop the new word in easily in post production.

- The Stargazer class? I think you mean the Constellation class. Which Picard's USS Stargazer was. The Stargazer class (which is named for the Stargazer) is a bit different. And you can fly it in this game.[/quote]

Been here before let me address your points. 1) It was a error on the actors part and has been back up my many web site such as http://memory-alpha.org/. 2) Constellation class is right but you read it wrong. That was no more in error then to say. USS Theodore Roosevelt class is a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:

Challenger class
Freedom class
New Orleans class
Springfield class
Niagara class
So a Star Trek video game ship is not canon enough to be in another Star Trek video game? Do you consider the Cryptic ships (ships that only appear in STO) more canon? Where do you draw the line exactly between what ships can socialize with what ships?

If only the Akula had appeared as kitbashed unrecognizable heavily damaged ship used in the background of a TV episode or movie like the five ships you mentioned. Maybe they could add Constitution Refit parts to the Challenger class.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
So a Star Trek video game ship is not canon enough to be in another Star Trek video game? Do you consider the Cryptic ships (ships that only appear in STO) more canon? Where do you draw the line exactly between what ships can socialize with what ships?

If only the Akula had appeared as kitbashed unrecognizable heavily damaged ship used in the background of a TV episode or movie like the five ships you mentioned. Maybe they could add Constitution Refit parts to the Challenger class.
Canon is defined as whats seen in the tv series and movies.

Furthermore, I think Cryptic would actually have to pay money to get SFB/SFC ship designs into the game, since that falls under a different license.

Calm down, I didn't say anything about what ships are allowed to socialize with other ships. I'm just explaining the distinction between what "canon" means (namely, its a ship we KNOW exists in the universe, since it was featured onscreen).

That doesn't preclude original designs like several of Cryptic's from being in the game, just don't go calling something from an alternate timeline videogame "canon."
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
Been here before let me address your points. 1) It was a error on the actors part and has been back up my many web site such as http://memory-alpha.org/. 2) Constellation class is right but you read it wrong. That was no more in error then to say. USS Theodore Roosevelt class is a Nimitz class aircraft carrier.
1- It wasn't an error. I have multiple hard copy sources to back me, including the TNG Episode guide.

2- The Constellation Class and the Stargazer Class are very different ships. The U.S.S. Stargazer that Picard captained was a Constellation class cruiser.

I'll give another example. The U.S.S. Intrepid. Originally it was a Constitution class ship. It later became an Excelsior class ship. It again later became the prototype of the Intrepid class. Which the U.S.S. Voyager was an example of.

Picard's ship that he fought at the battle of Maxia was not a Stargazer class ship. It was a Constellation class ship.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-20-2010, 11:06 PM
A visual cue to show that they are DIFFERENT ships ... cause this comes up a lot ...

The Constellation Class is THIS SHIP

The Stargazer Class is THIS SHIP

They are different.

Here's what the STO ship database has to say about the Stargazer CLASS:
Quote:
One of the few Starfleet vessels to have more than two nacelles, the Stargazer class is named for the famed U.S.S. Stargazer, which was commanded by Jean-Luc Picard in the mid-24th century. It was one of the first ship designs produced by Starfleet to rebuild its fleet after the Dominion War. Stargazer Class ships are well suited to either solo exploration or operating as a member of a fleet.
See. They are different ships entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Canon is defined as whats seen in the tv series and movies.
Thank you for the unnecessary lesion in “official” canon. I am truly sorry because I simply did not spend the necessary time researching and checking everything I posted. A minor change and we could have avoided the need for you to swoop down off your perch to save the forums from me. The Devs are going to do what they want to do and I put my request out there like everyone else.

From now on, I will waste more time making sure the factually useless information I post is more useless and factual just for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
See. They are different ships entirely.
I have used my newfound motivation to verify the factuality of useless information. Superchum is correct! The Constellation and Stargazer are two different ship classes.