Lt. Commander
# 1 ATI Radeon
08-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Okay so I have a question. I have The iMac 27" 2.66 QUAD Core i5 with The ATI Radeon 4850 HD 512 MB RAM. I play using WINE 1.1. I have alot of my video settings at 100%, dynamic lighting off, and THe Quality meter @ 2 out of 3. Space combat is good, but ground combat or movement... I notice the frame rate isnt good. Its laggy, especially during combat.

Do you think this is a Wine issue or that I dont have a high enough graphics card?

Also if I put in The ATI Radeon 5750 HD 1 GB Ram... will I notice a difference in quality and frame rate or is The 4850 enough?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-20-2010, 03:00 AM
I had a ATI Radeon 4870 Toxic Edition 512 MB RAM. I upgrade to the ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR 5, and yes there was a big difference. The loot orbs I can now see are actually pulsing. I played on max settings with both cards. Color wise I can't help as I am partially color blind. (Technically I can't distinguish between colors that are close.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostspock View Post
I had a ATI Radeon 4870 Toxic Edition 512 MB RAM. I upgrade to the ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR 5, and yes there was a big difference. The loot orbs I can now see are actually pulsing. I played on max settings with both cards. Color wise I can't help as I am partially color blind. (Technically I can't distinguish between colors that are close.)
I found this website http://www.hwcompare.com/graphics/co...50-1024MB-1GB- that says it aint a big difference between the 2
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-20-2010, 03:13 AM
It is your choice as I can only relate to what worked for me. My ISP also upgraded my connection to 1mbs and I forget to mention that I went from a Core2 2gig to an i3 2.93gig and a Intel Huntercove MB. I have 4gig ram ddr2 and now have the 4gig DDR3 1600mhz ram. Still running win7 home premium 64bit.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-20-2010, 04:43 AM
my suggestion would be to get a real computer, rather that keep something apple won't even let you update drivers
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post
Okay so I have a question. I have The iMac 27" 2.66 QUAD Core i5 with The ATI Radeon 4850 HD 512 MB RAM. I play using WINE 1.1. I have alot of my video settings at 100%, dynamic lighting off, and THe Quality meter @ 2 out of 3. Space combat is good, but ground combat or movement... I notice the frame rate isnt good. Its laggy, especially during combat.

Do you think this is a Wine issue or that I dont have a high enough graphics card?

Also if I put in The ATI Radeon 5750 HD 1 GB Ram... will I notice a difference in quality and frame rate or is The 4850 enough?
I get ~70fps on the ground and ~100fps in space. Notice my signature for my pc specs.

http://rookbytes.com/theta9/gallery/ to see some of my screenshots with the Fraps counter in yellow in the bottom right corner. http://starfleetops.org/about/images/?nggpage=14 has more of mine on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
I get ~70fps on the ground and ~100fps in space. Notice my signature for my pc specs.
While everyone is posting all their wonder FPS rates no one is posting their resolutions or detail levle let alone AA and AF settings ALL of which have an impact on the speeds.

If you are going to post FPS information please at least make it useful by giving us a context .
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post

use my UMV 1.2 beta 5 build... download link is in the forum thread main post (see my sig)... it runs much better than 1.1 ... and if i don't find any more issues, I'll make it the main download soon enough.... Ground combat speeds are much better, because its much faster at drawing in characters and such.

To upgrade, just look inside your 1.1 STO app (right click and "Show Package Contents") and find the Crytpic Studios folder... and move it over inside the 1.2 beta5 wrapper in the same exact spot, and it should be good to go.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Ed
While everyone is posting all their wonder FPS rates no one is posting their resolutions or detail levle let alone AA and AF settings ALL of which have an impact on the speeds.

If you are going to post FPS information please at least make it useful by giving us a context .
Did you look at the images? They are 1920x1080 I run full screen never windowed.

I run AA at 8x and AF at 4x but it doesn't do anything different unless I turn it off and then the windows on my ship just get a little blurry when zoomed out from it.

It's easier to say I have all the settings turned up full blast except for shadows (on low--who needs em) and thennnnnn I have dynamic lighting off in case the crash bug happens so I just don't worry about it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Iíve got a 4870 1gb and Iíve noticed problems with ground combat some weapons effects seems to cause it to stutter badly and can crash it outright. Noticed it a lot when fighting the Klingons in the early stages like that first feel action.

Oddly enough Iíve not noticed it nearly as much or at all when playing at higher level like fighting the borg and undwhatsit. Iím guessing its some weapon effects that are doing it. Part of me says the wide beam phaser can do it and a good chunk of what the Klingons carry.

Canít really say if its new or not back in release I was using a nvidia and stopped playing after the first month I got the ati maybe 2 weeks before the recent free weekend and didnít notice it at during the weekend but I was only using my higher level toon which again only really was up against the borg and spider-bug-men-things. It Wasnít till I started messing with an alt at low level that I noticed the rather jerky ground behavior and crashing.

Iím rather sure itís not overheating or the likes I can run a lot more intensive games constantly plus ship combat and it doesnít affect it the same way. I donít think itís being overtaxed with geometry either because been on ground missions with lots of borg and spider-bug-men at the same time and not missed a beat.