Lt. Commander
# 11
08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Windows frame rates have little to do with frame rates on Mac OS X since running on the Mac requires an extra Wine layer that slows things down.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Donít know about the whole wine thing it is more work for your puter in general. It could also be an ati drive/sto thing though.

This is a link to some problems with ati vid cards and sto in general.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=91678&page=21

As for going from the 4850 to the 5750. You might not notice much of a boost. The next gen version your card would be the 5850. That second digit is important also when deciding what to get. It helps designate how powerful the card is graphics wise. You might also try looking at nvidia also the gtx 460 is rather good for the money these days.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh forget what I said about the normal vid card I think your puter uses a laptop vid card. Itís like a monitor with a laptop strapped to its back. I have no idea on the form factor for that think its mxm. Id still say if your going to try and pop her open you might want to go to a 58-somthing if its going to be ati
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I run an ATI 4800 series and it runs smooth as silk on the medium graphics settings. I still turn it down for PVP though.

I've found that STO is much more sensitive to your CPU clock speed than your graphics card though.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingshoebox View Post
Iíve got a 4870 1gb and Iíve noticed problems with ground combat some weapons effects seems to cause it to stutter badly and can crash it outright. Noticed it a lot when fighting the Klingons in the early stages like that first feel action.

Oddly enough Iíve not noticed it nearly as much or at all when playing at higher level like fighting the borg and undwhatsit. Iím guessing its some weapon effects that are doing it. Part of me says the wide beam phaser can do it and a good chunk of what the Klingons carry.

Canít really say if its new or not back in release I was using a nvidia and stopped playing after the first month I got the ati maybe 2 weeks before the recent free weekend and didnít notice it at during the weekend but I was only using my higher level toon which again only really was up against the borg and spider-bug-men-things. It Wasnít till I started messing with an alt at low level that I noticed the rather jerky ground behavior and crashing.

Iím rather sure itís not overheating or the likes I can run a lot more intensive games constantly plus ship combat and it doesnít affect it the same way. I donít think itís being overtaxed with geometry either because been on ground missions with lots of borg and spider-bug-men at the same time and not missed a beat.
Turn off Dynamic lighting. It's been a weird issue with ATI cards well known since closed beta. Can't believe its still going on...

With it off, I run the game beautifully on my 5770 1GB. To the OP, a 4850 should be more than enough to run STO on high. Might be an issue with emulating windows on top of playing the game. You'll never get the same performance out of an emulator as you would the real thing.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
Turn off Dynamic lighting. It's been a weird issue with ATI cards well known since closed beta. Can't believe its still going on...

With it off, I run the game beautifully on my 5770 1GB. To the OP, a 4850 should be more than enough to run STO on high. Might be an issue with emulating windows on top of playing the game. You'll never get the same performance out of an emulator as you would the real thing.
luckily Wine doesn't emulate windows... its only reproducing the win32 (and they are working on win64) API. This is why Wine can run games at near native speed, while emulators like VirtualBox and VMware and such are much much slower.. they emulate a computer and run full Windows on top of it. That said, it still has to figure out how to handle STO's Windows code... its always going to be a work in progress so its never perfect. It could be perfect if they just looked at some MS code and based it off actual MS code, but due to wanting to avoid any legal issues, its all done completely separate of any MS code... making it an extremely hard project. But still if he runs my 1.2 wrapper version it will be very noticeable improved due to some changes in Wine and how Wine is handling some things graphically.

If the OP dual booted with Windows I'm sure it would run fantastic... but then you have to run Windows... yuck

I'd also recommend to not turn off dynamic lighting on the STO UMV version, since the gamma correction doesn't work, if you turn that off many places get way too dark and theres no way to brighten them.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-20-2010, 10:32 PM
I use a 5850 and I get no lag, but then again my graphics settings are not maxed out (almost but not quite) and I'm playing on a 1920x1080 monitor. If I were playing at a lower resolution, I could probably feel comfortable maxing everything (except dynamic lighting of course).

My old 4870 could handle similar settings, but at a lower resolution (running in Windowed mode at 1440x900).

If you've maxed out the settings on a 4850, you're going to get some lag unless you're playing at a fairly low resolution.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post

As much as I dislike the ATI/dynamic lighting bug, from what I hear nVidia users have had worse problems recently.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
my suggestion would be to get a real computer, rather that keep something apple won't even let you update drivers

Ah... A huge percentage of high end graphics designers use Macs as do a good percentage of film editors. You know Apple...the affordable middle class product that puts the main stream PC markets graphics engine to shame. Yeah...that real PC. It's too bad the game designers don't create for the Apple market...'cause if they did...everyone would want to play STO on a MAC (never a virus...never a frag issue...never overheats). You can keep your P-iece of C-rap.

Lt. Commander
# 20
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Wow... you necro'd the thread... for that???

And perhaps you are unaware, but Macs use the same components that PCs use now. They are not 'special' anymore. They can run Windows now at ease using Bootcamp, because of this.

Also, they are most certainly not immune to viruses, crashes, or overheating. They are quality built computers, in sleek encasings, sold for a high price. (Way too high, if you ask me).

One more thing, 'graphics engine's have nothing to do with the machine being a PC or Mac. If STO were officially released for Macs, it would use the exact same engine it does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
luckily Wine doesn't emulate windows... its only reproducing the win32 (and they are working on win64) API.
....which is emulation.... yes...