Lt. Commander
So I finally hit the rank of Vice Admiral yesterday, having started back in June. I see daily quests (3) which will grant me 7 Emblems a day. After getting 5 a day at Rear Admiral for MK X gear, I was thinking "Wow, I'll be geared up in no time!"

Then I went to Starbase 1 and discovered just how horribly wrong I was.

Are the prices on Emblem gear some sort of sick joke? A bug perhaps?

I did some simple math:

Outfit Billet for USS Coos Bay
Assault Cruiser

Fore Weapons: 4 Slots
Deflector Array
Shields
Impulse Engines
Aft Weapons: 4 Slots
Engineering Consoles: 4
Tactical Consoles: 3
Science Consoles: 2

Based on the billet above, and the established Emblem prices:

3 (Shields, Impulse Engines & Deflector) x 105 emblems = 315 emblems
8 (Fore and Aft Weapon Slots) x 30 emblems = 240 emblems
9 (Consoles, all) x 25 emblems = 225 emblems

Total = 780 emblems

How much time it would take a person to aquire 780 emblems at 7 emblems a day = 111.43 days (3.71 months)

Assumptions: Play each and every day, gain 7 emblems each and every day farming B-Tran and PvP dailies, 30 days in a month.

-----------------------

I couldn't believe it. To outfit my ship, will take nearly 4 months? What happens when your raise the cap again, or introduce MK XII gear, and I have to start all over again to gain the MK XII gear under yet another different badge type?

And this only outfits my ship! I haven't even looked at the personal gear for my team and I! I hate to think about what that would take!

Please Cryptic, tell me this is a bug. This simply can't be realistic. do you actually believe, with all the bugs in the game, and the lack of content at the end of the game, that people will farm emblems for 4 months to outfit their ship?

Lt. Commander
# 2
08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
your playing a mmo...
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoVonCat View Post
your playing a mmo...
Yes, I am aware of that.

And I am also aware that most MMO's provide a variety of methods to gear up your avatar at end game, through questing, raiding, PvP, world drops, etc.

However, it seems that with STO there is only 1 way to do this, which is to farm the crap out of B-Tran and do your daily PvP, and that's it. You don't get missions, you don't get drops other than MK XI commons which are hardly better than the previous MK gear level, and you don't have drops in raiding.

So, again, I question the sanity of this system. Why would anyone want to do the same 2 daily quests every single day for 4 months straight, to gear up their ship, then possibly another 4 months or more to take care of their ground character and bridge officers?

And what happens if the level cap raises again before you can finish getting geared up?

I don't mind putting in some time and effort to gear up. But I do mind the amount of time which is required here. I feel that the emblem quantity required for the MK XI gear should be cut in about half.
Lt. Commander
# 4 reply
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
i agree cut them in half and convert unused marks for emblems one for one
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
Yes, I am aware of that.

And I am also aware that most MMO's provide a variety of methods to gear up your avatar at end game, through questing, raiding, PvP, world drops, etc.

However, it seems that with STO there is only 1 way to do this, which is to farm the crap out of B-Tran and do your daily PvP, and that's it.
Uh, you get emblems for doing their STFs which are their raids. So that's 10 emblems a day. Plus whatever you can do extra by repeating the exploration trio.

Also Mk XI's are now dropping again as loot.

EDIT: I'll add that I agree with the overall point that the loot is horribly overpriced. But yeah, I did want to point out that with loot dropping again, it's a little less horrible.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Uh, you get emblems for doing their STFs which are their raids. So that's 10 emblems a day. Plus whatever you can do extra by repeating the exploration trio.

Also Mk XI's are now dropping again as loot.

EDIT: I'll add that I agree with the overall point that the loot is horribly overpriced. But yeah, I did want to point out that with loot dropping again, it's a little less horrible.
I am aware of the STFs. And they are virtually impossible to complete. Yes, you can get extra emblems that way, if you can manage to complete it. Of course the STFs are also quite a bit harder to complete when you are outfitted in blue and green MK X gear, rather than blue and green MK XI gear, which is nearly impossible to find, or can be bought on the exchange for costs that are heading rapidly into the Million Energy Credits range.

As for the MK XI loot, thus far the only loot I've gotten is common. I have yet to see an Uncommon or a Rare drop, much less a Very Rare. Which is boggling the mind since I had Very Rares drop when I was a Captain, and got missions at Captain which awarded Very Rare gear to get you outfitted.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I've gotten an even mix of uncommon and common. And two rares. No very rares. I mix it up and have been playing on advanced today just to see if made a difference and that's when I got my rares.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I've gotten an even mix of uncommon and common. And two rares. No very rares. I mix it up and have been playing on advanced today just to see if made a difference and that's when I got my rares.
Perhaps I'll have to give that a try. Because as it stands, I don't have the time, nor the desire to farm Emblems for 4 months straight. It's just too much. I have alts that I play, and a life outside of STO, and MK XI Very Rare gear just doesn't mean that much to me. Heck, I'd settle for Rare and Uncommon MK XI gear at a significantly reduced emblem cost, if Cryptic offered it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
[I got some Mk XI greens last night (two ground items and two space items in about 2 1/2 hours play plus some common XI items).]

I've also heard emblem gear is ridiculously priced especially since it seems to only be a little bit better than Mk X. Until I hear more positive news, I'm refusing my "promotion" to VA and sticking to "RA6" and mark of exploration purple gear (can't get the mark of honor pvp missions anymore but I got my purples from that store already).

VA-specific content seems to be fairly borked right now (even sifting through the trolls and whinging, the reasonably objective posts are not promising).
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
, I don't have the time, nor the desire to farm Emblems for 4 months straight. It's just too much.
I agree. And if MK XII's make this entire journey a waste of time ... that's going to anger a lot of people.

Quote:
Heck, I'd settle for Rare and Uncommon MK XI gear at a significantly reduced emblem cost, if Cryptic offered it.
Yup. Something more akin to what they had at all the previous level bands.

That's what's so ... frustrating and confusing ... why did Vice Admiral break away completely from everything they'd done prior?

Consistency ... is a problem with this game.